K-ETA

Seahorse Lover

I don't know that we HAVE to, but I believe we do. I'm on a Holland America cruise this week that has two stops in South Korea, and I did the online application. Only took a few minutes and cost about $10, wasn't worth taking the chance. 

• Like 1

Sir, if you are on the cruise now, do you mind to ask the cruise excursion desk if we need to apply the online K-eta ahead of time or the cruise will handle that on the ship for all passengers. Our Princess cruise important e-mail only outlines everything for Japan's requirements but never mentions anything about we need anything for S. Korea where we will make one stop. Many thanks!!

I think it is worth mentioning that the K-ETA currently costs about $7.80 per person.  We finally gave up on getting HAL to respond to our question of whether we need the K-ETA, so simply filled out the form (best to do it on a phone) and had approval within a couple of hours.

Hank

• Like 1

Thanks for your response. I have been trying to fill out the K-eta app on my 2 different laptops, on my smartphone, tried both on wifi and internet, without succsess. I got a timed out after I clicked the "Make payment" button so many times. Working with the Ask Us K-eta support and they said it is my own environmental problem vs. we never have problems with other app's. So it is not I don't want to pay the $10 pp price, it is unachievable in the last few days' big efforts. When we took similar cruise few years ago, Princess processed our entry paper on the ship on our way to the Busan Port from Japan, it was much easier. 

I got my k-eta last week, and had a hard time processing the payment. Finally figured out that you HAVE to use the little pop-up keyboard to enter the final digits of your card, typing them in doesn't work. Maybe that helps? Good luck! 

this is what I found on web. 

so good news if traveling to Jeju.

this is the source : 210422 K-ETA FAQ_(Eng).pdf ( copy and paste in search bar) , so you can confirm (or let me know what I missed) 

see: 

Q16. I want to travel to Jeju Island. Do I need to get a K-ETA? A. No. Those who wish to travel directly only to Jeju Island do not need to get a K-ETA. If the traveler wishes to visit other places in Korea after visiting Jeju Island, that person needs to get a K-ETA before entry.

so if you port in Jeju island only according to this document you seem to be clear. Other ports, i did not research but if possible this may be the source to reach out to and ask. 

correction and retractions! 

it was brought to my attention that there was a revision to the information i found on the web, Darn web browsing! 

i sent a request request to K-ETA

Dear Inquirer,

Thank you for your interest in K-ETA.

Regarding your inquiry as to whether you are required to apply for K-ETA, please find the answer as below:

Please refer the latest FAQ at the official K-ETA website (www.k-eta.go.kr) or mobile App (K-ETA). Q16. states ’Yes, even if you want to visit Jeju Island, you must obtain K-ETA approval before boarding the plane or ship’.

The K-ETA (Korea Electronic Travel Authorization) is a travel authorization that foreign nationals need to obtain in advance when they want to enter the Republic of Korea visa-free for tour, visiting relatives, participating in events or meetings, business, and/or other similar reasons (other than profit-making activities). Under one of those purposes, the nationals whose nationality is eligible for K-ETA are required to obtain the approval before boarding the flight or vessel to the Republic of Korea.

First, please contact the cruise ship or travel agency to confirm whether you need to apply for K-ETA for your excursion.

If you need to apply for K-ETA, please enter the address and contact number of the port of arrival.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

K-ETA Center

kinda clear? 

1. so if one did not get the K-ETA BEFORE boarding flight or ship then what and how could it occur once on board

2. if you need K-ETA why would you need to contact the TA or ship to see if you need to apply for a K-ETA for a particular excursion.

will some passages be stuck on the ship in port? I would not think so. 

well thank to all who have come before me and laid out the process so well , thank you. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Halehuaka_i said:

No info lately on this question. Here is the latest regarding K-ETA.

K-ETA Notice

In short, 22 countries are exempt from visas from April 1, 2023 to December 31, 2023.

Thanks for finding that notice, clears up some confusion.

Note that the exemption is for the K-ETA form, not visas (which are not required for those countries anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

When we were at Jeju on Diamond Princess, March 19, K-ETA was not required. We had ours but nobody asked for them. Not the ship, not the port. Some think that maybe because we were the first ship they were welcoming and did not want to turn the ship around if there were many coming in without the K-ETA. That was our experience.