How windy is the pool deck or the Posh Pass level out in the open ocean (from Dominican Republic to NYC)?

genealogyfan

Does anyone know how windy or cold is it sailing from the Caribbean (specifically Dominican Republic) to NYC in late April? I'm taking the NCL Epic Cruise that sails from Puerto Rico on Apr 14 and ends in NYC on Apr 22. I'm trying to decide if trying for the posh passes is worth it. Specifically for the last two sea days where it is sailing to NYC and will be out in the Atlantic along the East coast sailing up to NYC.  

I wasn't sure what category this should go under, but since it's a Norwegian ship, I figured I would post it here. I have gotten posh passes in the past and it was nice to be up there in the Caribbean, but not sure how it is out in the Atlantic along the East Coast. Thanks in advance.

Edited by genealogyfan
forgot a word

In January, people were bundled up outside on the decks on the way back to NY.  Might be warmer in April.  Bigger problem is NCL cancelling DR on lots of sailings, and then you have 3 sea days in a row, instead of 2.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

We had Posh passes on Epic in Caribbean in February. It was windy…but we thought it was windy everywhere..on land, pool deck, and in Posh.  My question is what are you seeking with Posh passes. We felt that the bar and drink access and quality was really the only thing that made Posh special.  In port, the wind precluded the umbrellas going up…so there was very little shade.  And,  the seating in the shade was uncomfortable…the seats were way too deep—as tho they were made to curl up with a good book. IMO we didn’t find the value. 

37 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

We had Posh passes on Epic in Caribbean in February. It was windy…but we thought it was windy everywhere..on land, pool deck, and in Posh.  My question is what are you seeking with Posh passes. We felt that the bar and drink access and quality was really the only thing that made Posh special.  In port, the wind precluded the umbrellas going up…so there was very little shade.  And,  the seating in the shade was uncomfortable…the seats were way too deep—as tho they were made to curl up with a good book. IMO we didn’t find the value. 

We have gotten posh passes before and they were totally worth it, but our cruise then only sailed around the Eastern Caribbean. We totally liked it wasn't very crowded and there were no seat hogs. I have no idea the price now (got them 10 years ago), and whether it's worth it, especially for the sea days up the East Coast.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 4:50 PM, genealogyfan said:

Does anyone know how windy or cold is it sailing from the Caribbean (specifically Dominican Republic) to NYC in late April? I'm taking the NCL Epic Cruise that sails from Puerto Rico on Apr 14 and ends in NYC on Apr 22. I'm trying to decide if trying for the posh passes is worth it. Specifically for the last two sea days where it is sailing to NYC and will be out in the Atlantic along the East coast sailing up to NYC.  

I wasn't sure what category this should go under, but since it's a Norwegian ship, I figured I would post it here. I have gotten posh passes in the past and it was nice to be up there in the Caribbean, but not sure how it is out in the Atlantic along the East Coast. Thanks in advance.

We were own the first transatlantic Epic cruise (bringing iy over to the US) in early-ish May. It was VERY windy and cold on the upper sun deck.

We were on the Epic 2 weeks ago (March 2023) from San Juan going South.  It could be very windy.  So much so that only 2 of the days they would put up umbrellas for the sun.  And one of those days it wasn't that windy but we all begged since the sun was so hot - near Curacao.  The attendant told us that they are rarely allowed to put them up due to wind.  Being far south the wind didn't bring cold but I imagine that going North it would be.

Although we both felt that the Posh passes were worth it when we looked down at the main pool deck.

• Like 1

@genealogyfan  I am on the same cruise. I think what we will find is the first at sea day will be nice weather but the second day will turn colder.  I'm basing that off of taking the Pearl the same week last year on the BOS-Bermuda cruise.  It's not quite the same as what we are doing this year but the weather the day we left Bermuda was nice.  We left Bermuda around 4p to sail to Bar Harbor and that  next day at sea it had turned chilly.  I would guess that first at sea day we will be off the coast somewhere between FLA and one of the Carolinas so we should be able to base our weather on that.  Of course the second at sea day we are further north.  

• Like 1