Dropped the ball on Wonder boarding time

I am usually very on-top of everything. This one slipped thru the cracks, darn it. I just checked all of us in for 12:30, which was the earliest available. I have already arranged private transportation for a 10:30 arrival. I have seen comments that alluded to the fact that people with later boarding times were arriving and getting on early. Not saying that is right, but is this true? Thank you 

During our February experience on Wonder at Port Canaveral the port staff were sending passengers to separate sections to wait based on check-in times.  I'm not sure if they allowed those holding in their sections to board earlier once the first rush was through.  We had 10:30 boarding.

My guess is that you will be asked to wait in your section for at least some time but maybe not the entire two hours.

FYI - there are several restaurants at the Port to spend the wait time instead of standing in line. Grills is the closest and is an easy walk from terminal 1.

• Like 1

In my experience at port Canaveral they have not been checking times to enter the terminal.  So generally one can enter the building and  go through security and check in despite a later time on the set sail pass.  At that point, if the ship is not yet boarding, one is apt to be directed to be directed to seats designated for the time on the set sail pass.  When boarding begins, suites/pinnacles, then key, the earliest time group is allowed by row.  Of course, each group takes far less than half an hour, if the ship boards early, they will get to your seating row early.  Of course, they could alter the process at any time.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

We were on the 3/5-3/12 sailing on the Wonder out of PC, we had a 10:30 boarding time.  For our cruise and the one that followed ours they were being enforced.  We arrived around 9:45 and our boarding passes were checked and we were directed to our appropriate line.  Later times definitely were made to stand in their appropriate spots, some were unhappy.  After a short wait they allowed groups into the terminal, Pinnacle and suites, followed by the Key then our group.  Once past security we checked in and were seated again within our appropriate groups.  The later time groups were directed to their appropriate seats as well. About 10:15 the back to back passengers were allowed onto the ship first, followed by the appropriate groups.  They dismissed the groups row by row so it was pretty well organized.  I feel this was done manage the crowds that arrive early and once the flow gets going they are relaxed a bit.  We had friends who got there around 11:30 and they said they pretty much walked in, went through security, checked in then onto the ship.  

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Of course, each group takes far less than half an hour, if the ship boards early, they will get to your seating row early.  Of course, they could alter the process at any time.

This is exactly how our boarding day was

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

We were on the 3/5-3/12 sailing on the Wonder out of PC, we had a 10:30 boarding time.  For our cruise and the one that followed ours they were being enforced.  We arrived around 9:45 and our boarding passes were checked and we were directed to our appropriate line.  Later times definitely were made to stand in their appropriate spots, some were unhappy.  After a short wait they allowed groups into the terminal, Pinnacle and suites, followed by the Key then our group.  Once past security we checked in and were seated again within our appropriate groups.  The later time groups were directed to their appropriate seats as well. About 10:15 the back to back passengers were allowed onto the ship first, followed by the appropriate groups.  They dismissed the groups row by row so it was pretty well organized.  I feel this was done manage the crowds that arrive early and once the flow gets going they are relaxed a bit.  We had friends who got there around 11:30 and they said they pretty much walked in, went through security, checked in then onto the ship.  

This is exactly how our boarding day was

Interesting that they started checking times outside the terminal building. For me personally, that’s probably nice.

For the OP: if they are enforcing times and you cannot enter the building, either wait outside or walk to one of the nearby restaurants.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Interesting that they started checking times outside the terminal building. For me personally, that’s probably nice.

For the OP: if they are enforcing times and you cannot enter the building, either wait outside or walk to one of the nearby restaurants.  

For clarification, yes we were lined up outside by time and status, but it's my suspicion since we were already inside that those in the later time slots outside were allowed in earlier than their assigned time. I'm guessing that as the crowds were dispersed they would free up more passengers to enter the terminal, I don't think even the 12:00 group I saw that were lined up outside behind us were held till noon.  I believe they were allowed in much earlier. 

• Like 1

I have cruised on Wonder 3 times so far this year. On two of the cruises terminal staff personnel enforced check-in times while the other cruise no one even looked at our check-in time. This inconsistency is similar to what I have experienced on 20 plus RCI cruises post COVID. It seems like terminal staff flip a coin every morning to decide if they are going to enforce check-in times that day.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, 7680 said:

I am usually very on-top of everything. This one slipped thru the cracks, darn it. I just checked all of us in for 12:30, which was the earliest available. I have already arranged private transportation for a 10:30 arrival. I have seen comments that alluded to the fact that people with later boarding times were arriving and getting on early. Not saying that is right, but is this true? Thank you 

Last Oct cruise we were in the first boarding time.  Ship was late getting clearance and we stood in the snake queue for nearly 2 extra hours.   The elderly were in quite distress! 

• Like 1

One of my most pressing concerns is that if we aren’t on the ship early, our specialty dining reservation preferences will be filled up. I am shooting for 8:00-8:15, but there are 6 of us 

4 minutes ago, 7680 said:

One of my most pressing concerns is that if we aren’t on the ship early, our specialty dining reservation preferences will be filled up. I am shooting for 8:00-8:15, but there are 6 of us 

I understand your concern.  Here’s what I would do: I would pick one (or two) responsible person out of your group of six who comfortably separate from the rest of the group, board first, and make reservations for the whole group (we will call her sprinter😉).  Then I (with help from any other competent team members) should regularly go on the app to see if any earlier check in times open up.  Sometimes only one or two slots opens; rarely will six slots open. If an earlier slot opens up, it goes to sprinter;  keep looking until the you get sprinter as early a check in time as you can.   If you are successful, Sprinter will board before the rest of you make your reservations then join the rest of you.

• Like 1

I did just go on the app. It shows the 12:30 slot, which is checked (from the earliest we could get at the time). If already checked-in, would an earlier time, if avl, show up on my app and allow me to switch it?

Also, if you wind up sitting in the terminal waiting to board, see if you can log onto the app with ship wifi.  Sometimes you can make restaurant reservations in the app while still in the terminal.  YMMV, but you can try if you are sitting there.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 8:28 AM, 7680 said:

One of my most pressing concerns is that if we aren’t on the ship early, our specialty dining reservation preferences will be filled up

Our strategy is one of us goes to the dining desk on the Royal Promenade and the other goes to a speciality restaurant in Central Park since there are 3 there and we text each other who gets to the front first to make our reservations.  

Last week on the Wonder we had the 10:30 time and were some of the first passengers on, we got most of the times we requested and all of the restaurants we wanted.  Some of our times were earlier than we wanted but not by much.  Our friends who got on an hour later were not able to get all of their requested times.  Also all speciality dining restaurants all week week were very busy, in the past we've been able to adjust times later in the week but not on this cruise.

• Like 1

Certainly not feeling good about this. Husband and I greatly prefer Celebrity, but daughter didn’t want an older crowd. Had friends on Symphony in January and said it was too crowded to go near Windjammer/buffets.  The dining pkg won’t really. help us if we can’t get reservations. Deck chairs mostly taken by 7:30/8:00am. 😑

Edited by 7680

Unfortunately, we were told that the Key Program has to be purchased by all 6 of us for our entire cruise vs just on embarkation day, when our sole purpose is the ability to make dinner reservations. Approx $4500

Edited by 7680

12 hours ago, 7680 said:

we were told that the Key Program has to be purchased by all 6 of us for our entire cruise vs just on embarkation day, when our sole purpose is the ability to make dinner reservations. 

If all 6 of you are in the same cabin that is true, all in the cabin are supposed to purchase Key and it is not available for just a day. It makes no sense to spend any money to get on board "early" just to be able to book dining.

You are incorrectly assuming that if you board at say noon (vs 10:30), all the dining slots will be gone. Besides, you are likely to be able to get on board at 10:30 anyway.

Edited by Biker19

Thanks for the encouragement! Just concerned about availability, with SO many on board. We are later diners (will be shooting for 8:00-8:30), so perhaps that will help. We will definitely be arriving early and hoping for the best re boarding. We are def not in the same cabin 😁