Questions about bidding for an upgrade

BCOS

Hello -

We will be sailing on the Jewel in Alaska in May. I booked a Guarantee Club Balcony Suite for four of us (Dad, Mom, two single adult kids). The 3rd and 4th passengers paid taxes and fees and were otherwise free. Our cabin has been assigned and we're happy with the price we paid and the location of our cabin (deck 11, under the treatment rooms in the spa). 

We received a bid-for-upgrade offer, which includes Haven options, 2-Bedroom Deluxe Family Suite with Balcony, and Forward-Facing Deluxe Penthouse with Large Balcony.

My understanding is that only the first two passengers would pay the bid amount, however, having read the FAQs, I have the following questions:

• 1) Will additional taxes and / or fees be assessed should a bid be accepted?
  • 2) Would the the 3rd & 4th guests also be charged more in fees/taxes if the answer to my 1st question be yes?
  • 3) Do they reveal what your total extra costs will (if accepted) be before you submit a bid?
  • 4) Is there any rhyme or reason - such as the price we initially paid or the number of passengers in our cabin - that have any bearing on how likely a bid would be to be accepted?
  • 5) How do I see how full the ship is? I've tried to do a dummy booking, but it doesn't let me choose a cabin so I'm not sure how to see how many cabins are available.

Thanks for any insight!

2 hours ago, BCOS said:

Hello -

We will be sailing on the Jewel in Alaska in May. I booked a Guarantee Club Balcony Suite for four of us (Dad, Mom, two single adult kids). The 3rd and 4th passengers paid taxes and fees and were otherwise free. Our cabin has been assigned and we're happy with the price we paid and the location of our cabin (deck 11, under the treatment rooms in the spa). 

We received a bid-for-upgrade offer, which includes Haven options, 2-Bedroom Deluxe Family Suite with Balcony, and Forward-Facing Deluxe Penthouse with Large Balcony.

My understanding is that only the first two passengers would pay the bid amount, however, having read the FAQs, I have the following questions:

• 2) Would the the 3rd & 4th guests also be charged more in fees/taxes if the answer to my 1st question be yes?
  • 3) Do they reveal what your total extra costs will (if accepted) be before you submit a bid?
  • 4) Is there any rhyme or reason - such as the price we initially paid or the number of passengers in our cabin - that have any bearing on how likely a bid would be to be accepted?
  • 5) How do I see how full the ship is? I've tried to do a dummy booking, but it doesn't let me choose a cabin so I'm not sure how to see how many cabins are available.

Thanks for any insight!

Only first two passengers are charged and yes taxes and if you took ncl insurance increases but not by much.

There is no rhyme or reason on who wins a bid, it is done by a third party.

The only certainty is if you win there is no going back you are locked into it

2 hours ago, BCOS said:

Hello -

We sailed on the Pearl (same class as the Jewel)  to Alaska in 2016 in the 2br family suite.  If you want to see pics and videos of the 2br Family suite check out the link in my signature below.  

8 hours ago, BCOS said:

1. You pay your bid (times 2) with no changes in taxes. If you have NCL insurance, that will increase for the cost of the suite. If you have not pre-paid your Daily Service Charge, you will pay the DSC for the suite (if you pre-paid your DSC, you're done - no increase). 

2. No additional taxes.  If you have NCL insurance, that will increase for the cost of the suite. If you have not pre-paid your Daily Service Charge, you will pay the DSC for the suite (if you pre-paid your DSC, you're done - no increase). 

3. No.

4. No. There are over 510 staterooms which could bid on your two room. Every room has a different starting point (cabin class and price paid). 

BTW: The forward facing rooms are the absolute best rooms on the ship. Especially for Alaska. Highly recommended!

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

bcos. while i hope you and  your family enjoy the cruise, please be aware that the club balcony suite, while very nice in and of itself, might be a little crowded for 4 adults, especially when/if youre all trying to get ready, or someone needs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

also, if you do get the 2 bedroom, be aware that while its a great cabin, and you may never want to book anything other than a haven suite, the 2nd bedroom is very small. unless things have changed dramatically, i believe  the minimum bid for a 2 bedroom is about $1200 making the cost $2400, and thats just a minimum. to stand a chance of scoring, you might need to bid in excess of 2500, making the cost an additional $5000.

all things considered, you might find it cheaper in the long run, if you merely booked another club balcony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, complawyer said:

bcos. while i hope you and  your family enjoy the cruise, please be aware that the club balcony suite, while very nice in and of itself, might be a little crowded for 4 adults, especially when/if youre all trying to get ready, or someone needs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

also, if you do get the 2 bedroom, be aware that while its a great cabin, and you may never want to book anything other than a haven suite, the 2nd bedroom is very small. unless things have changed dramatically, i believe  the minimum bid for a 2 bedroom is about $1200 making the cost $2400, and thats just a minimum. to stand a chance of scoring, you might need to bid in excess of 2500, making the cost an additional $5000.

all things considered, you might find it cheaper in the long run, if you merely booked another club balcony

Thanks for the insight!

We do well traveling together and aren't worried about / bothered by the Club Balcony Suite's tight quarters. Originally just my husband and I were going to go, but when we saw the price to add our single out-of-college kids was $0 + fees if they stayed in our room, we invited them on a whim and they said they'd love to go. In other words... they're just along because it was cheap to make that happen, and getting another room would defeat that purpose. 🙂

Our minimum to bid for the 2-br is $650 / pp ($1,300, total). It's the same for the forward penthouse, but I'm not as drawn to that just because the 2br gives us another bathroom and a living room (ie a separate room to go to when others are asleep). It looks like a great room, but between the two, I think I prefer the 2-br.  I checked on Expedia and it looks like there are 3 of the 2br suites available.

21 hours ago, jimsig said:

We sailed on the Pearl (same class as the Jewel)  to Alaska in 2016 in the 2br family suite.  If you want to see pics and videos of the 2br Family suite check out the link in my signature below.  

Thanks - I'd love to see it. I don't see a signature link, tho. 🤔