Tendering 2 days in Lahaina - would appreciate recommendations/suggestions within walking distance from dock

Traveller1212

A look at Google Maps would be beneficial. The entire town of Lahaina is a flat walk from the tendering location. So any restaurant in Lahaina is easy to get to. Don't know your tastes in food, but there is a wide selection of restaurants and plenty of shopping. Several restaurants have poke on the menu...Lahaina Sushi Ko is probably the closest more serious poke place. It is on Front St, the main drag of Lahaina.

Unfortunately there isn't really a usable beach. The nearest reasonable beach is by Mala (walkable, but getting further out), but the better beach is frequently mentioned at Ka'anapali, a bus, taxi or Uber trip.

• Like 1

If you want to do some shopping in Lahaina, there is an Outlets of Maui mall within walking distance. Once you hit Front Street, turn left and keep walking till you reach Papalaua Str and you’ll see the outlet mall. They have Michael Kors and other shops, not huge, but I picked up a few things there. 

• Like 1

Treats: If you want a real treat, check out Ululani's Shave Ice.  It just opened earlier this year and it's among the best shave ice anywhere.  Why?  They shave the ice finer; they make their own fruit syrups to pour over the ice; and they make their own ice cream to hide under your ice.  (The ice cream melts up into the ice).

Fish: Our favorite place for fish is "Paia Fishmarket Front Street Restaurant".  They typically offer 4 or 5 fresh catch fish selections daily with 3 different preparations to choose from and serve them with really good sides.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

P.S. If you're also in Honolulu, Ululani recently opened a store there too, almost next door to Leonard's Bakery on Kapahulu Avenue.  Hint: my wife made 2 trips to Ululani's in Lahaina and 5 trips to Ululani's in Honolulu.  She is a shave ice fanatic and swears there is no better.

Forgot to mention they offer a VERY large selection of syrup flavors and ice cream flavors from which to select.

Edited by CaribbeanBound
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 10:54 AM, Traveller1212 said:

I am looking forward to Poké & relaxing with my toes in the sand. Would appreciate your suggestions/recommendations for ANYTHING walkable from Lahaina dock - sightseeing, shopping, food, beach.

You can walk to Foodland from the tender dock and I love their poke. In the same shopping center is Nagasako Okazu-Ya Deli, which is a very old school plate lunch spot. "okazuya" is a local Hawaiian word for Japanese deli. Okazuya used to be all over the islands, but they have dwindled as the older generations die off. Okazuya Honokowai down in North Ka'anapali is another great one.

Below is a great article from one of my favorite Hawaiian food blogs.

https://onolicioushawaii.com/okazuya/

There is also the local bus system, Maui Bus. There are four good routes for day visitors, the Lahaina Villager, West Maui Islander, Lahaina Islander and Ka'anapali Islander. You can go all the way down to the Ritz Carlton Kapalua and any spot in between. See the route maps below.

https://www.mauicounty.gov/1310/Maui-Bus-Route-Maps

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

You can walk to Foodland from the tender dock and I love their poke.

Second the poke at Foodland-- its some of the best on the island and where a lot of locals go for it. 

20 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Okazuya Honokowai down in North Ka'anapali is another great one.

Also another favorite that comes highly recommended. Not going to be walking distance from either Lahaina or from the main Kaanapali resort area near Whalers Village so will be an Uber if they go there. 

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 1:54 PM, Traveller1212 said:

I am looking forward to Poké & relaxing with my toes in the sand

Would appreciate your suggestions/recommendations for ANYTHING walkable from Lahaina dock - sightseeing, shopping, food, beach

(I’m a late 50’s fit female)

thanks

Aloha Traveller1212,

I'm a mid-50's fit female who resides on Maui during the winter months. I think I can help :).

You have received good advice above, but I'll add some details (probably more than you want).

Lahaina is a quaint old whaling village. Lots of shops along Front street. Great restaurants too. It's a nice afternoon, but I would not plan on spending the majority of time here. Since you don't want to rent a car or take a tour, that limits you to bus and foot; but lucky for you, Kaanapali is easy for both and was just voted in the top 10 of the worlds best beaches (although that title is certainly subjective).

I have personally walked from the Lahaina Marina (where your tender lets you off) all the way to Whalers Village. It's only 4.17 miles one way (8.5 round trip) so very doable. 99% of the trail is on a paved sidewalk. There is a very small section (about 1,000 feet) where you will walk along Honoapii'lani. Not ideal, but it's an extended bike lane and plenty of people walk it. The stretch along the beach is really lovely, especially the section in front of the larger resorts. Find the penguins :). 

image.png.bf53d20ea4b810fe00c6b74239a3f92c.png

Now, if you don't want to walk, the public bus is really quite good here. It's $1.00 each ride for those over 55 or $4.00 for a Hoho day pass. The bus runs on-time too which is a nice bonus. I would recommend that you do not pick up the bus at the wharf (which is the closest place to where you will tender into). The wharf stop is the largest terminal area on the west side. The waiting area is dark, feels sketchy, and there will likely be tweekers. Instead, take a lovely 1/2 mile stroll along front street and pick up the bus at the Front St/Papalaua street. It's directly across from Tommy Bahamas. Well marked with a chair so you will know it's a stop. It's light, airy, with a lovely sea view. Polar opposite of the wharf.

Take the bus to Whalers village stop. Here you will find the world famous Monkey Pod Mai-Tai with Honey-lillikoi foam (yumm!!). Whalers offers lots of shopping, eating, and some fun free activities too (hula dancing lessons, yoga, lei making, etc..).  Shopping Mall in Lahaina, HI | Whalers Village

Mostly you want to hit Whalers because in front of whalers is a boardwalk stretching the entire length of Kaanapali beach (over 3 miles) with whalers is pretty much right in the middle. Walking the entire length round trip is a beautiful 6 mile stroll. It can be hot, but there are lots of watereing holes.  Kaanapali is absolutely the place to 'stick your feet in the sand' and a solo female traveler will be quite safe here. 

The bus will also take you lots of really cool places, so if you are up for a bit more adventure let me know. Also, there will be plenty of water tour operrations right from your tender stop (snorkeling, whale watching during season, submarine, etc...). With two days in Maui, I highly recommend you venture out of Lahaina (at least for part of the time).

Hope this helps and enjoy your time on Maui 🙂

This is the stroll from the tender to the bus stop I recommended. Can't get lost 🙂

image.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Aloha Traveller1212,

I'm a mid-50's fit female who resides on Maui during the winter months. I think I can help :).

You have received good advice above, but I'll add some details (probably more than you want).

Lahaina is a quaint old whaling village. Lots of shops along Front street. Great restaurants too. It's a nice afternoon, but I would not plan on spending the majority of time here. Since you don't want to rent a car or take a tour, that limits you to bus and foot; but lucky for you, Kaanapali is easy for both and was just voted in the top 10 of the worlds best beaches (although that title is certainly subjective).

I have personally walked from the Lahaina Marina (where your tender lets you off) all the way to Whalers Village. It's only 4.17 miles one way (8.5 round trip) so very doable. 99% of the trail is on a paved sidewalk. There is a very small section (about 1,000 feet) where you will walk along Honoapii'lani. Not ideal, but it's an extended bike lane and plenty of people walk it. The stretch along the beach is really lovely, especially the section in front of the larger resorts. Find the penguins :). 

image.png.bf53d20ea4b810fe00c6b74239a3f92c.png

Now, if you don't want to walk, the public bus is really quite good here. It's $1.00 each ride for those over 55 or $4.00 for a Hoho day pass. The bus runs on-time too which is a nice bonus. I would recommend that you do not pick up the bus at the wharf (which is the closest place to where you will tender into). The wharf stop is the largest terminal area on the west side. The waiting area is dark, feels sketchy, and there will likely be tweekers. Instead, take a lovely 1/2 mile stroll along front street and pick up the bus at the Front St/Papalaua street. It's directly across from Tommy Bahamas. Well marked with a chair so you will know it's a stop. It's light, airy, with a lovely sea view. Polar opposite of the wharf.

Take the bus to Whalers village stop. Here you will find the world famous Monkey Pod Mai-Tai with Honey-lillikoi foam (yumm!!). Whalers offers lots of shopping, eating, and some fun free activities too (hula dancing lessons, yoga, lei making, etc..).  Shopping Mall in Lahaina, HI | Whalers Village

Mostly you want to hit Whalers because in front of whalers is a boardwalk stretching the entire length of Kaanapali beach (over 3 miles) with whalers is pretty much right in the middle. Walking the entire length round trip is a beautiful 6 mile stroll. It can be hot, but there are lots of watereing holes.  Kaanapali is absolutely the place to 'stick your feet in the sand' and a solo female traveler will be quite safe here. 

The bus will also take you lots of really cool places, so if you are up for a bit more adventure let me know. Also, there will be plenty of water tour operrations right from your tender stop (snorkeling, whale watching during season, submarine, etc...). With two days in Maui, I highly recommend you venture out of Lahaina (at least for part of the time).

Hope this helps and enjoy your time on Maui 🙂

This is the stroll from the tender to the bus stop I recommended. Can't get lost 🙂

image.png

BermudaBound2014, thanks so much for taking the time to give me such detailed info, it’s perfect

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 11:10 AM, princeton123211 said:

Also another favorite that comes highly recommended. Not going to be walking distance from either Lahaina or from the main Kaanapali resort area near Whalers Village so will be an Uber if they go there. 

Just for accuracy, it's less than 3 miles from Whalers to Okazuya in Honokowai. I would absolutely consider that walking distance, but I suppose walking distance is different for everyone. If the OP wants to visit Okazuya and elects the bus, there is a stop right in front of Maui sands :).

19 hours ago, Traveller1212 said:

BermudaBound2014, thanks so much for taking the time to give me such detailed info, it’s perfect

You are most welcome. Don't hesitate to use the bus system here if you decide not to walk. There is an app to download to see bus movement in real time. It's on-time and super easy! Enjoy 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just for accuracy, it's less than 3 miles from Whalers to Okazuya in Honokowai. I would absolutely consider that walking distance, but I suppose walking distance is different for everyone. If the OP wants to visit Okazuya and elects the bus, there is a stop right in front of Maui sands :).

We have very different definitions of walking distance. Walking from Lahaina to Whalers is one thing (which is far for a visitor with limited time-- doable but a chore), but walking from Whalers to Honkowai Okazuya is nuts. Its a taxi or Uber ride but well worth the trip for plate lunch or dinner. 

The OP needs to know that Uber is readily available if they want something more effiecient than public transportation from Lahaina-- it will be faster in the late afternoon/evening (5-10 minute wait in and around Lahaina) but will be still be an option earlier in the day if you give yourself about 15 minutes. You are not reliant on the bus. 

• Like 1

I consider "walking distance" to be about a mile, maybe up to a mile and a half of walking at one time. I love Honokowai Okazuya, but if I was at Whaler's Village, I'd use the Maui Bus or Uber. Ditto to get to Whaler's Village from the banyan tree.

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Walking from Lahaina to Whalers is one thing (which is far for a visitor with limited time-- doable but a chore), but walking from Whalers to Honkowai Okazuya is nuts. Its a taxi or Uber ride but well worth the trip for plate lunch or dinner. 

You are confused on the area.  The distance from Whalers to Okazuya is about half the distance (2.4 miles) than the distance from Lahaina harbor to Whalers (which is 4.1 miles).

So, if you are ok with walking from the wharf to whalers, the walk from whalers to Okazuya is a piece of cake :).

You have better experience with Uber than I have, but I do agree the OP should know it’s an option. I have found the waits extensive, but I suppose that is dependent on location and time of day. I stay up in Kapalua which is a bit off the beaten path. 

Walking distances are obviously subjective in terms of ability, but the OP made a point to state she was a fit 50s female. I am also a fit 50s female, and I have found any of the walks mentioned to be quite

enjoyable. 

F019A90E-F909-4A8C-9865-BD5BD8383BB3.thumb.jpeg.2e4aa3cd57c40d956e676a71432eb675.jpeg

861D186C-2C6A-49CA-81B1-EB8615EDB295.thumb.jpeg.9ead1c42e9e39cd29ce1f2a2a195b814.jpeg

• Like 1

I appreciate all this great information - I usually walk 6-10 miles a day but it’s much cooler here in Vancouver 🙂 - Day 1 I will probably take bus or Uber to Kaanapali & then make my way back,  Day 2 thinking I will wander around in Lahaina

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You are confused on the area.  The distance from Whalers to Okazuya is about half the distance (2.4 miles) than the distance from Lahaina harbor to Whalers (which is 4.1 miles).

So, if you are ok with walking from the wharf to whalers, the walk from whalers to Okazuya is a piece of cake :).

I think its the big hill out of Kaanapali coupled with the need to walk along the highway that made me think it was further whereas the walk from Lahaina to Whalers is flat. Regardless-- they both are at least an hour walk with some (not all of it) along some pretty unremarkable stretches of road. Would highly recommend the OP use some form of transportation. Very few folks walk either of these. 

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You have better experience with Uber than I have, but I do agree the OP should know it’s an option. I have found the waits extensive, but I suppose that is dependent on location and time of day. I stay up in Kapalua which is a bit off the beaten path. 

Kapalua is a different story. During the day up there Uber's can take a bit-- even at night I've had to wait 15 minutes for pickup in Kapalua.

From our place in Kaanapali they are fairly available starting around 1-2 in the afternoon and are readily available in the late afternoon and evening. The OP should not have an issue getting one in Lahaina where the most of them are. 

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

and I have found any of the walks mentioned to be quite

enjoyable. 

Which is great, and I'll give you a honk and a wave next time I drive by you, but I think you have to also put it in the perspective of who you are giving advice to. Those of us who are fortunate enough to live there at least part of the year can spend way more time doing things that someone who is only visiting for 1-2 days, and may never come back, might think is a waste of time.

If I was on a limited 2 day port call, on a once in a lifetime trip to Maui, and I followed advice and walked 2 hours each way along a highway to go to an unremarkable strip mall for chicken teriyaki (or their dreamy Mahi in lemon caper sauce) I might regret my decision not to hang out on the picturesque beach I had left. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm choosing to reply, not to be a jerk, but to keep the information factual. 

4 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I think its the big hill out of Kaanapali coupled with the need to walk along the highway that made me think it was further whereas the walk from Lahaina to Whalers is flat.

There is no hill. Honokowai is 3 feet elevation above sea-level. It's flat.

Regardless-- they both are at least an hour walk with some (not all of it) along some pretty unremarkable stretches of road.

That's just silly. While subjective, both are not 'at least an hour walk' for someone who describes themselves as fit. As mentioned, the stretch from Whalers to Honokowai is only 2.4 miles. That's about 30-40 minutes for most walkers. I would give a good hour to get from the Wharf to Whalers, since the vast majority is a really beautiful stroll along the ocean and the OP will likely want photos.

...but I think you have to also put it in the perspective of who you are giving advice to. Those of us who are fortunate enough to live there at least part of the year can spend way more time doing things that someone who is only visiting for 1-2 days, and may never come back, might think is a waste of time.

The OP mentioned specifically she was a 'fit' female. Most of us who consider ourselves 'fit' don't find walking a waste of time; especially that lovely stretch along Kaanapali which is, IMO, a great way to spend a day. In fact, I find walking along the beach much more enjoyable than parking in a lounge chair but we are all unique. My advice would have been entirely different had the OP not mentioned 'fit' in her initial request for information.  I think I have really good perspective in this case.

If I was on a limited 2 day port call, on a once in a lifetime trip to Maui, and I followed advice and walked 2 hours each way along a highway to go to an unremarkable strip mall for chicken teriyaki (or their dreamy Mahi in lemon caper sauce) I might regret my decision not to hang out on the picturesque beach I had left. 

I didn't give the advice to walk to Okazuya. I don't even like Poke' ;). My comment about walking to Honokowai from Whalers was provided solely to correct the inaccurate information you gave regarding the distance. 

Two hours each way? 😉

I consider strolling along Kaanapali an excellent way to spend time 'hanging out' on a picturesque beach, but I do acknowledge that walking is not the best advice everyone.

Which is great, and I'll give you a honk and a wave next time I drive by you..

Mahalo; And I'll give you a shaka in return 🙂

On a side note, it's a gorgeous day here on Maui and with all this talk about walking Kaanapali I'm going to head there today and walk the entire 6 miles round trip from the north tip to the south tip. I might even get some shave ice from the Hyatt's Ululanis since it's my half way point. It's either that or a Monkeypod Mai-tai.... decisions....... decisions..... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Traveller1212 said:

I appreciate all this great information - I usually walk 6-10 miles a day but it’s much cooler here in Vancouver 🙂 - Day 1 I will probably take bus or Uber to Kaanapali & then make my way back,  Day 2 thinking I will wander around in Lahaina

I average the same, especially here on Maui because the walking is so beautiful. It's not that hot if you walk along the ocean, but you will likely want a hat (something I don't always need in Michigan).

I think you have a great plan... uber or bus to Whalers and then stroll back. It will be a nice mellow day. As mentioned, there are lots of places to explore along that stretch. Be sure to find the penguins :). 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I'm sorry...  what was the question?

The OP was looking for anyplace WALKABLE from the tender dock, specifically for a fit female to put her feet in the sand, grab some food, and shopping.

The advice to walk to the relatively short distance to Whalers is spot on IMO 😉

A80E9E32-4364-4D5D-A456-4022D96273C9.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The OP was looking for anyplace WALKABLE from the tender dock, specifically for a fit female to put her feet in the sand, grab some food, and shopping. The advice to walk to the relatively short distance to Whalers is spot on IMO 😉

I know very few people who would consider 4 miles "walkable" in the context of places near a port stop.

Related to what is 4 miles a 'short distance'?

The humidity, to someone not used to it, is a killer, much more than the temperature. Who wants to arrive at a shop or restaurant schvitzing like a lady of the evening in church?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

I know very few people who would consider 4 miles "walkable" in the context of places near a port stop.

Related to what is 4 miles a 'short distance'?

The humidity, to someone not used to it, is a killer, much more than the temperature. Who wants to arrive at a shop or restaurant schvitzing like a lady of the evening in church?

I agree that 4 miles maybe considered long to some folks. Maybe even most folks? But the key point you are missing is that the lovely OP identified herself as “fit” and specifically asked for walkable. Mine is an even more appropriate recommendation now that we know she walks 6-10 miles daily. In that context,  four miles is childs play. Barely even exercise. 

ps- I didn’t break a sweat walking the 6 mile Kaanapali loop today. In fact, I walked with my neighbor who is well into her 60s. She didn’t break a sweat either ;). But we both do exercise regularly so there’s that.

You are both obviously free to think my recommendation is ludicrous, but given the baseline information shared, I suspect the OP will enjoy the stroll very much. At least that is  my intention with this recommendation. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

There is no hill. Honokowai is 3 feet elevation above sea-level. It's flat.

This is getting silly. When's the last time you walked up Kekaa Drive through the golf course from Whalers Village? Big hill. 

18 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I didn't give the advice to walk to Okazuya. I don't even like Poke' ;). My comment about walking to Honokowai from Whalers was provided solely to correct the inaccurate information you gave regarding the distance. 

You don't go there for Poke-- shocked you don't know that because you seem confident you know everything else. 

11 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You are both obviously free to think my recommendation is ludicrous, but given the baseline information shared, I suspect the OP will enjoy the stroll very much. At least that is  my intention with this recommendation.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is "ludicrous". I just think everyone has their own idea of walkable. 4 miles isn't what I'd call walkable. For example, the OGG CONRAC is only 2.5 miles from the cruise dock, but I've never recommended anyone walk it, even though I am sure many could.

I also think walking 6-10 miles a day in your workout clothes and shoes is different than walking around in your 'port stop' clothes. Hopefully the OP can provide their thoughts.

As a a side note, I always get a car when I stay on Maui, and recommend others do too, be it Napili, Ka'anapali, Wailea, wherever, because I don't think there is much walkable from those areas.