Another question about Internet package upgrade.

screenname2004

24 minutes ago, screenname2004 said:

Can I convert my 150 minutes (from free at sea promotion) to 3 days of unlimited basic internet?

Are you on a 3 or 4 day day cruise?

If your cruise is longer, you would need to upgrade your package with the 150 minutes used as a credit towards total cost.

Edited by ggTexasGal
added

4 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Are you on a 3 or 4 day day cruise?

If your cruise is longer, you would need to upgrade your package with the 150 minutes used as a credit towards total cost.

We are on a 7-day cruise. We upgraded one account to unlimited and have not used any of the 150 minutes on the 2nd account. Thinking convert it to unlimited on day 5 so we can have 2 devices at the same time.

Edited by screenname2004

On our recent cruise I upgraded (before the cruise) and my DH kept the 150 minutes. No matter what you do, the internet is never great but usually (meaning not near always) good enough. But his 150 minutes translatated into no more than 20 minutes of actually being online due to the slowness. So if you want internet--upgrade. That's my advice. 🙂

• Like 1

When I was on the Pearl in Sept 2022, I upgraded to the unlimited internet. My friend who shared a cabin with me couldn't use the 150 minutes free minutes. We were told, the unlimited was for the whole cabin and therefore we didn't have the 150 free minutes for the cabin. We also had to log off one device for the other person to use the unlimited on their device.

3 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

Talked to the internet cafe manager. The last day to upgrade the 150 free minutes to unlimited is day 3 because there is a minimum purchase requirement of 5 days.

How much does it cost to upgrade on day 3?

If there is a minimum purchase of 5 days, I wonder if this would be possible  for a 10 day cruise…..

on day 1, upgrade passenger 1’s 150 minute plan to unlimited for 5 days for $49.97 as shown above. Then on day 5, upgrade passenger 2’s unused 150 minute plan to unlimited for the last 5 days for $49.97. Total $99.94

vs 

upgrade passenger 1’s 150 minutes for the entire 10 days. 10 x $29.99 - $100 (value of 150 minute plan) = $199.99

that’d save $100. 

Or can you not upgrade to unlimited for only a specific number of days (5 days minimum obviously)?

The gotcha on the upgrade option during the cruise is that you can’t have used any of your free minutes, if you have used some of the minutes then you will be paying the full daily rate. Or you can also buy more minutes as required throughout the cruise. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 12:38 PM, genealogyfan said:

When I was on the Pearl in Sept 2022, I upgraded to the unlimited internet. My friend who shared a cabin with me couldn't use the 150 minutes free minutes. We were told, the unlimited was for the whole cabin and therefore we didn't have the 150 free minutes for the cabin. We also had to log off one device for the other person to use the unlimited on their device.

From NCL,

Internet Package (Free WiFi)

• Internet package is based on number of nights.
  • 75 minutes per person for 3-6 Day Cruises.
  • 150 minutes per person for 7-11 Day Cruises.
  • 300 minutes per person for 12+ Day Cruises.
  • Offer will be applied to the 1st and 2nd guest in the stateroom.
  • Internet package is per person. Two logins per stateroom.
  • Can be used only on one device at a time.
    Package is limited to number of minutes and doesn’t allow streaming.
  • Internet package is not available at Great Stirrup Cay or Harvest Caye.
  • Internet package includes activation fee.

This is the current plan. But there was an earlier plan which was 250 minutes shared between Guests 1 and 2. 

If your contract was for the current plan, the Guests 1 and 2 each get 150 minutes. If Guest 1 upgrades to unlimited, then you can both use Guest 1's unlimited minutes, but only one at a time, being sure to sign in as Guest 1. Guest 2 has 150 minutes available.

@GALSews We were told wrong by the crew member working at the internet desk. We had 150 minutes as part of free at sea. The 2nd guest lost the 150 minutes free as part of free at sea, because I upgraded to unlimited. If I was logged in, my friend couldn't log into the internet unless I logged off. The 2nd person couldn't be logged in at all to use the free 150 minutes.

That is odd. When we want to use a different device, we just have to click "disconnects devices" to kick the 1st devuce out. When we want to use acct 2's 150 minutes instead of the unlimited package, we clicked "switch to another account" and type in the last name & birthday.

I am not computer/internet savvy and the more I read all the posting I have read about this topic the more confused I get. I am on the Getaway in 10 days /150 free minutes for both my husband I. All I want to do is find and leave messages for my husband and do my e-mail (mostly deleting mail) I do not want to come home w/600 e-mails in my box. As I said I am not computer savvy so would like someone who can help me with this. I am not looking to stand on a long lines at the internet cafe and be talk into sending more to upgrade

thank you to all who respond

How much time will you spend on e-mail each day? Keeping in mind that something that takes you 10 minutes at home might eat up more like 20-25 minutes on the ship. Expect everything to take more time.

As for messaging your husband, if you both use iPhones you might be able to send each other iMessages (text only) without using any internet minutes. But in general, you need internet access to send and receive messages (WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger or whatever), and that uses up your minutes. Again, probably 5 minutes each time you log on to do that, and the rest of the time you will be out of touch.

One option is for you and your husband to both activate the messaging function on the NCL app. It's like $10 per phone, and then you can send each other messages through the app while on board without using internet minutes.

Another option is for just one of you to upgrade to unlimited internet for the duration of the cruise. That way you can handle your work e-mail without worrying about running out of time, and when you're not working, you and your husband can share the package (one person at a time). So if you send him a WhatsApp message while you're logged on, he can then log on to the same account, kick you off the internet, and read the message. And then you can kick him back off, and so on. It's obviously not ideal, but it's cheaper than purchasing unlimited internet for both phones.

Finally, of course, you can get unlimited internet for both phones (get a 2-device package under one person's name, much cheaper than purchasing one device for each person individually).

Edited by hawkeyetlse

12 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Finally, of course, you can get unlimited internet for both phones (get a 2-device package under one person's name, much cheaper than purchasing one device for each person individually).

If each person buys a one device plan before any minutes of their 150 "free" minutes are used, they get $100 off each. If they buy a 2-devices plan, they only get $100 off. I believe 2 one device plans will come out less expensive than one 2-devices plan..