Is there flexibility in the restaurants for picky eaters?

CruisinShips

It appears as though the menus look somewhat limited, and most of the dishes offered (in the nicer restaurants in particular) are creative and include sauces and other interesting combinations.  I love that, but not everyone does.  So my question is are they receptive to any sort of special requests (like the grilled chicken without sauce, as an example)?  Has anyone who might be a picky eater, or is married to one made such requests?

Thanks

• Like 2

If the restaurant makes grilled chicken, they are happy to serve it to you without sauce or with sauce on the side.  If they don't make grilled chicken, I'd contact them in advance to see if they could make it.

Any dish can be served without the "fancy stuff," or with the stuff on the side.  I even had this in Gumbae--the sauce on the chicken was too spicy for me, so the second time I asked for "no sauce."  The server said he'd bring me the sauce on the side, which worked fine.  They are happy to do steaks, etc. "plain," provided you are in a place that serves steak.  Anything that can have ingredients removed, they will do for you.

Things that are generally marinated prior to cooking, they can get you some that has not been put in the marinade yet....so yes to almost any request provided it involves an item that they cook at that location,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There may be times when substitutions/changes can't be made, but for the most part, they are very willing to accomodate.  For example, I don't eat meat and the potatoes in Pink Agave list chorizo in the ingredients, but they made me the dish without the meat.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For a place like Test Kitchen you can also swap out by course if a particular ingredient doesn't appeal or you have a dietary restriction. We were able to do that last week when a couple of options I really wanted to try didn't appeal to my companion. He greatly enjoyed the dishes he got instead. The couple we sat with also did substitutions for different courses.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jessetfan said:

For a place like Test Kitchen you can also swap out by course if a particular ingredient doesn't appeal or you have a dietary restriction. We were able to do that last week when a couple of options I really wanted to try didn't appeal to my companion. He greatly enjoyed the dishes he got instead. The couple we sat with also did substitutions for different courses.

In this situation, you are swapping out for a course on the vegetarian menu.  

On 3/31/2023 at 11:08 AM, CruisinShips said:

It appears as though the menus look somewhat limited, and most of the dishes offered (in the nicer restaurants in particular) are creative and include sauces and other interesting combinations.  I love that, but not everyone does.  So my question is are they receptive to any sort of special requests (like the grilled chicken without sauce, as an example)?  Has anyone who might be a picky eater, or is married to one made such requests?

Thanks

As with any cruise line, VV is open to meeting your dining requests if they can fulfill it. Most everything is made to order so leaving out a sauce or making a substitution if they have it, is no problem. Grilled chicken with no sauce should be no problem at all for example. 

Basic rule, as with any cruise line, just ask. And I would approach one of the dining captains when you first get on board to talk through what they can and cannot do. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 8:01 AM, CruisingWalter said:

Basic rule, as with any cruise line, just ask. And I would approach one of the dining captains when you first get on board to talk through what they can and cannot do. 

Agree! Always ask.

This morning at The Wake one of our party only wanted scrambled eggs and an English muffin. He ordered Steak & Eggs - hold the steak and double up the eggs. The English muffin was not on the menu, but they were able to provide.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 11:08 AM, CruisinShips said:

I am currently on the Valiant Lady AND I am the pickiest eater ever! I typically sail Celebrity, as I know they accommodate all my PITA needs. One of my biggest fears about trying VV was whether or not they would do the same. In one word, the answer is YES! I kept saying before my trip that I will either gain 15 lbs from eating pizza at breakfast, lunch and dinner OR lose 15 lbs from not eating anything. They have been absolutely phenomenal with meeting my requests. This is especially true in the Galley. The chef has specially prepared my food for me exactly the way I requested (just note it might take a bit longer). I believe the only spot that it is not possible was at the 'It's A Ship Show', which is dinner and a show. 

• Like 4

We frequently travel with a friend who has a TON of allergies and they're complex - like she's allergic to gluten but also allergic to almond. Mushrooms and spinach are also major things that she cannot eat. VV was extremely accommodating and very good with her restrictions.

• Like 1

I was on Scarlet 2 weeks ago with friend who is strictly 100% vegan. He’s been vegan for 20 years but found the vegan choices lacking in all of the main restaurants. I don’t know vegan but take him at his word. He was able to get vegan dishes but didn’t find VV as vegan friendly as I thought it would be. Most days He ended up with a vegan pizza. 

8 hours ago, raphael360 said:

I was on Scarlet 2 weeks ago with friend who is strictly 100% vegan. He’s been vegan for 20 years but found the vegan choices lacking in all of the main restaurants. I don’t know vegan but take him at his word. He was able to get vegan dishes but didn’t find VV as vegan friendly as I thought it would be. Most days He ended up with a vegan pizza. 

I'm surprised....they had tons of things that were mushroom, avocado, etc. based.  

On 4/11/2023 at 6:33 AM, Giraffes said:

I am currently on the Valiant Lady AND I am the pickiest eater ever! I typically sail Celebrity, as I know they accommodate all my PITA needs. One of my biggest fears about trying VV was whether or not they would do the same. In one word, the answer is YES! I kept saying before my trip that I will either gain 15 lbs from eating pizza at breakfast, lunch and dinner OR lose 15 lbs from not eating anything. They have been absolutely phenomenal with meeting my requests. This is especially true in the Galley. The chef has specially prepared my food for me exactly the way I requested (just note it might take a bit longer). I believe the only spot that it is not possible was at the 'It's A Ship Show', which is dinner and a show. 

Really happy to read this...I was going to bite the bullet at Test Kitchen for the ambiance only with my foodie husband.  

• 2 weeks later...

Very happy to read this thread.  I was getting a little panicky reading the options in the dining venues.  My partner will love all this different food.  Me, give me a burger on a bun, no mayo or anything green on the plate.  We just returned from an NCL cruise and I was happy they still have the "classic" section where I could get a NY strip and fries.  If I remember correctly it, HAL and Princess removed that option.

Yes, they will fully accommodate/customize anything (in my experience).  For example, at Razzle Dazzle, I ordered the Waffle entree, but Waffle plain with only syrup on the side...and I added just the chicken filet from the chicken sandwich.  So, a classic Nashville Chicken & Waffles.  It caught on actually, so I'm surprised they haven't added it to the menu...haha.  

At the beginning of every meal they ask about allergies and if you've reported one previously it's saved to your profile and they again validate.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 9:16 AM, B747Purdue said:

For example, at Razzle Dazzle, I ordered the Waffle entree, but Waffle plain with only syrup on the side...and I added just the chicken filet from the chicken sandwich.  So, a classic Nashville Chicken & Waffles. 

OH EM GEE... this is brilliant!!! will definitely have the hubby try this out when we go on our next cruise in a couple of weeks!