Ideas for Nassau…?

TACMS

My daughter (33) and I will be on Anthem April 16.  Want to do a beach day and trying to decide on where to go.

1) Junkanoo Beach (walk)

2) Pearl Island tour thru RCCL

3) Taxi to Cable Beach (are there public bathrooms/food/drinks for purchase?)

4) Breezes Resort thru ‘Resorts for a Day’ (all inclusive)

Any comments and/or suggestions from past experience would be greatly appreciated.  Or any other beach ideas?  I have watched videos and read reviews on all of the above, some good, some not so good….

Also, does anyone know how much is a taxi from port to Breezes Resort would cost, and how long?

We will dock at noon, so basically would only do beach for 4 hours…

Thank you for advice/ideas

🚢 ☀️ 🐠 

10 minutes ago, TACMS said:

I believe we are there 12-8

Oh!   Then Cable Beach or Breezes is definitely doable for 4 hours including transportation.     Junkanoo is nice, but is small and can get crowded.

• Like 1

There are no public restrooms on cable or cabbage beach. Another option is a beach pass from resorts for a day for the old Hilton, you’d have beach and restrooms, plus able to order food/drink (passes are $15).  We did day passes at RIU on cable beach, loved it, but we got there at 9 am.

• Like 2

Thank you for your response….Is the old Hilton you speak of the British Colonial Hotel (Serenity Beach). I see that one on Resorts for a Day. Nothing for Hilton. 

14 hours ago, TACMS said:

Thank you for your response….Is the old Hilton you speak of the British Colonial Hotel (Serenity Beach). I see that one on Resorts for a Day. Nothing for Hilton. 

Yes, that’s it, pool is closed but the beach is open.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 4:44 PM, mjkacmom said:

There are no public restrooms on cable or cabbage beach. Another option is a beach pass from resorts for a day for the old Hilton, you’d have beach and restrooms, plus able to order food/drink (passes are $15).  We did day passes at RIU on cable beach, loved it, but we got there at 9 am.

Have you done this recently?  We did it in 2019 when the Hilton was still open and loved it.  I am a little weary now that the hotel is closed.  Are the restroom facilities the same?  How about the food and drink options?  We enjoyed being able to go back and forth from the pool to beach with little walk, and that the beach was not crowded at all.

21 hours ago, dlphn501 said:

Have you done this recently?  We did it in 2019 when the Hilton was still open and loved it.  I am a little weary now that the hotel is closed.  Are the restroom facilities the same?  How about the food and drink options?  We enjoyed being able to go back and forth from the pool to beach with little walk, and that the beach was not crowded at all.

I haven’t but I have read recent reviews, they were good, for $15 it sound like a great deal even with no pool (we bought a day pass in 2005 for $15 at the Hilton, once they increased the price dramatically we chose to go to better resorts). 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I might do "Essential Nassau Sights & Flavors".  Anyone done this?

Last time in Nassau I just walked around and decided I did not need to return.  So here I am returning!  😁 Wish cruise would skip Nassau and spend more time in Bermuda, but oh well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, moposh said:

I thought I might do "Essential Nassau Sights & Flavors".  Anyone done this?

Last time in Nassau I just walked around and decided I did not need to return.  So here I am returning!  😁 Wish cruise would skip Nassau and spend more time in Bermuda, but oh well.

Yeah, I hear you.  Nassau is really a "one and done" type of stop.  Lots of other Bahamian places would be much better, but then they'd be overrun with cruise ship tourists and they'd lose their out-island feel.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Yeah, I hear you.  Nassau is really a "one and done" type of stop.  Lots of other Bahamian places would be much better, but then they'd be overrun with cruise ship tourists and they'd lose their out-island feel.

And they hype the straw market, which I didn't see anything of interest in.  Went in a drug store because my mother needed some stuff.  

Just now, moposh said:

And they hype the straw market, which I didn't see anything of interest in.  Went in a drug store because my mother needed some stuff.  

In the old days, the stuff you saw in the straw market was locally made.  The last time I went (albeit a few years ago, I admit), the stuff was cheap and looked like it was made in China.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 2:17 PM, dlphn501 said:

When I looked up the pass it said that food and drinks were available next door at Margaritaville. 

We’ve cruised to Nassau in years past, and we now look for cruises that may include a “private” island but not Nassau.

Having said that, we are spending a couple weeks here and we took the “Rum, Reggae, and Rhythms Tour” this week. You can find the itinerary (Graycliff cigar “factory”, chocolate shop, wine shop, and John Watling’s rum factory) and reviews on CC’s sister site TripAdvisor. You book through TA/Viator, and the tour is provided by BahTours for $65 USD/pp. 

Fun, low-key day if you want something like that..

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 7:54 AM, TACMS said:

My daughter (33) and I will be on Anthem April 16.  Want to do a beach day and trying to decide on where to go.

1) Junkanoo Beach (walk)

2) Pearl Island tour thru RCCL

3) Taxi to Cable Beach (are there public bathrooms/food/drinks for purchase?)

4) Breezes Resort thru ‘Resorts for a Day’ (all inclusive)

Any comments and/or suggestions from past experience would be greatly appreciated.  Or any other beach ideas?  I have watched videos and read reviews on all of the above, some good, some not so good….

Also, does anyone know how much is a taxi from port to Breezes Resort would cost, and how long?

We will dock at noon, so basically would only do beach for 4 hours…

Thank you for advice/ideas

🚢 ☀️ 🐠 

What did you end up doing?

• 5 weeks later...

Book yourselves a food tour. It's a wonderful way to learn some local history and discover some delicious authentic dishes. We've done two great food tours in Nassau, Bahamas the second one features a mini van that drives you around. 

Tru Bahamian

The first food tour we did in Nassau, Bahamas was with Tru Bahamian. You meet that at a local church just a very short walk from the cruise pier. It's a great tour with a nice combination of history and delicious food stops. We discovered several great places we have returned to often like Mama's Kitchen in Nassau and Graycliff Hotel Chocolate shop. 

https://www.trubahamianfoodtours.com/

Island Food Tours

Most recently we did an excellent tour with this company that we booked through Royal Caribbean. They picked us up in the port and drove a small group of us around in a comfortable mini van. We made stops at several great places that we have since returned to including a wonderful authentic bakery called the New Duff and a fabulous tea shop with many delicious tropical blends. 

https://islandfoodtour.com/tours/flavors-of-nassau/

Happy Cruising. 

Jonathan

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 11:56 AM, notsurewhatmynameshouldbe said:

What did you end up doing?

Regarding TACSM’s option #3, we stayed on Cable Beach next to Baha Mar, and the only public beach access we saw between there and Sandyport was next to Bob Marley’s hotel. Cable Beach is lined with hotels and condos. We met two couples who had taken the $1.25/pp bus to the Baha Mar area looking for a public beach or just beach bars to enjoy. Nothing like that there, and we suggested they take the bus back to Goodman’s Bay which is an easy bus ride from the cruise pier area.

So just a heads-up if you are considering going on your own to Cable Beach…

There are some great independent excursions going t Rose Island and Pearl Island if you want nice beach time and any other activities while there…

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2023 at 8:56 AM, BobNoxious said:

Oh!   Then Cable Beach or Breezes is definitely doable for 4 hours including transportation.     Junkanoo is nice, but is small and can get crowded.

Junkanoo is a fairly close and walkable option but it's a public city beach that I do not consider a nice beach in any sense.  Cable beach is a nice beach but can only be accessed thru a resort pass. 

On 8/28/2023 at 5:44 PM, Captain Michael said:

Junkanoo is a fairly close and walkable option but it's a public city beach that I do not consider a nice beach in any sense.  Cable beach is a nice beach but can only be accessed thru a resort pass. 

I don’t know of any Cable Beach resort passes today…Baha Mar offers a day pass to their Baha Bay water park ($160 adults, $65 juniors),  but the beach itself was reserved for hotel guests when we stayed next door last April/May…
There is a public beach access next to the Bob Marley Hotel, but no amenities when we stopped by, and according to residents the hotel has closed…

Edited by blue_water

My family of 6 (including 3 teenagers) did Junkanoo in July. They had a ball. Walked both ways from the pier. Hubby and I are both super seniors and had no trouble walking. It was overly hot thought, but you can also take a taxi). You can rent chairs and umbrellas there. Facilities are good as well as options for food and drink. 

we stopped at the straw market afterwards and returned to the ship for a late lunch. 

Enjoy!  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 9:34 PM, Walterswife said:

My family of 6 (including 3 teenagers) did Junkanoo in July. They had a ball. Walked both ways from the pier. Hubby and I are both super seniors and had no trouble walking. It was overly hot thought, but you can also take a taxi). You can rent chairs and umbrellas there. Facilities are good as well as options for food and drink. 

we stopped at the straw market afterwards and returned to the ship for a late lunch. 

Enjoy!  

Thanks!  Going to visit with an often-grumpy 4 year old and was wondering how do-able the walk would be.  🙂  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 1:49 PM, jokesbyjen said:

Thanks!  Going to visit with an often-grumpy 4 year old and was wondering how do-able the walk would be.  🙂  

I have pretty bad knee pain after an injury, along with having arthritis in the same knee and the walk is doable for me! I did it recently with my 8 year old and she didn't complain about the walk at all!