Premium Package Upgrade

Guest Bronston

Guest Bronston

Booked my cruise in July of 2022. Booked it with the Premium Package. Cruise is now fully paid for. Since then Princess has added additional Premium package benefits at the cost of an additional $5 per day per guest. $75 to now $80.

Seems fair……until you talk to them. Now they are tying the premium package upgrade to the ROOM FARE! An additional $2,000 plus!!! 

Even though they advertise on the website you can upgrade the Premium Package for an additional $5 per day per guest. Talk about misleading.

Now they say I have a “special offer” cabin fare. Even though when I booked directly with Princess there was and is no mention of any special fare. Again, misleading.

So, no upgrade for me. Special desserts and exercise classes aren’t worth $3 to me, much less $2000 plus.

Just curious if this is typical of the line?

Call back - get a different rep - they are trying to re-fare you instead of just upgrading your current premier to the new premier.  Escalate to a supervisor if you don't get the answer you want.

Guest Bronston

Talked to 3 different reps already and 2 of them asked their supervisors. Blamed it all on the computer system.

wondering if I should wait and try on the ship?

I would wait until you are on the ship. We recently sailed on a B2B2B2B2B on the Discovery Princess. I had booked the first 3 cruises prior to sailing with the Plus packages. I booked cruises 4 & 5 after sailing to take advantage of a 1/2 price sale without the plus package. At the start of cruise #4 I went to the PSD to book the Plus package using OBC. He told me I was eligible for an upgrade to Premier without having to purchase the Plus package. In other words I got Premier for $420 instead of Plus for $840. From now on I add the package after embarkation. Don't buy a drink until the plan is activated. That left me enough OBC to buy the Plus Package on cruise #5. There will be standing at different places on embarkation trying to sell the packages.

Edited by billco
  • Thanks 1

We have a "special" fare on a Feb 24 cruise.  Out TA told us upfront that if we wanted either upgrade package, that the cabin fare would be increased to a higher based fare.  

We are still on the fence about getting the package.  If we decide to, I suspect we'll try to get it onboard as opposed to ahead of time.  As a plus, Travel insurance should be lower since the package won't be part of the Travel insurance rate as it is based upon the dollars paid as part of the cruise.  So add ons on the ship won't go against that value.  No clue how many dollars saved though.

And I hope they don't increase the package by next February AND we can purchase on board for that $60/day rate (Pplus package.)

10 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

We have a "special" fare on a Feb 24 cruise.  Out TA told us upfront that if we wanted either upgrade package, that the cabin fare would be increased to a higher based fare.  

We are still on the fence about getting the package.  If we decide to, I suspect we'll try to get it onboard as opposed to ahead of time.  As a plus, Travel insurance should be lower since the package won't be part of the Travel insurance rate as it is based upon the dollars paid as part of the cruise.  So add ons on the ship won't go against that value.  No clue how many dollars saved though.

And I hope they don't increase the package by next February AND we can purchase on board for that $60/day rate (Pplus package.)

We had Princess Vacation Protection. The cost of the Plus package using OBC on cruise #5 was $909.86. $840 + $69.86. I assumed they added the extra cost of insurance.