Pickle ball on Celebrity Beyond

rurn0321

No attack at all. Funny how you interpreted it. The point is there are many activities and areas on the ship for all to enjoy. I think there is a difference between asking questions, sharing experiences, and negativity. I will choose positivity and gratitude. Have a great evening. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Debbra1024 said:

No attack at all. Funny how you interpreted it. The point is there are many activities and areas on the ship for all to enjoy. I think there is a difference between asking questions, sharing experiences, and negativity. I will choose positivity and gratitude. Have a great evening. 

“And feel it necessary to attack others.”

I guess you were just complimenting people for their positivity by pointing out other people’s complaining.  My bad for misunderstanding. 

• 6 months later...
On 4/12/2023 at 7:29 PM, Debbra1024 said:

Wow it is amazing how people will find something to complain about. And feel it necessary to attack others. I love the sport, Yes I said sport, nothing lazy about it. Played on the Constellation in February and looking forward to playing on Beyond next February. I am sure during play time you can find something great to do in another part of the amazing ship. How about focusing on positives for a change?

I love the sport too! Took it up just before Covid and considered it a "safe" sport during Covid. I used to be a tennis player and still love watching all the major tennis tournaments, but I also love Pickleball tournaments! There's room in this world for both! I developed knee issues a few years ago, and it's the only sport that doesn't bother my knees! I'm on Celebrity Beyond Dec 11-22 and looking for some "At Sea" games! It's a huge ship, for those who don't like the noise, there's plenty of other outdoor spaces to enjoy!!!

On 4/12/2023 at 11:53 AM, zitsky said:

I have tinnitus and your post is pretty insensitive.  I will avoid it because it’s annoying.  And because pickleball isn’t even a real sport anyway.  We can watch movies in your cabin instead.

I have tinnitus also.  I will challenge you to a game 🙂  
Winner buys the beer.
  Don't mess with us old folks 🙂 

On 4/12/2023 at 10:10 AM, SHIP TRAVELER said:

At least that would be a quiet activity that did not disturb everyone else using the area.  We have pickle ball in our community and it a loud activity.

PB is very loud... our Community has the main courts located away from homes and  a pool area.  Another smaller set of cts near homes and other pool area are disruptive with the ping  ping sound all day!   Not a pleasant sound compared to tennis!

any courts on a ship should be on a lower inside area...

• Like 1

Just off Beyond. It was directly in front of the big screen, when I noticed it, and was not impinging on space nor seating. We were sitting having a drink in the rooftop garden and couldn’t hear it and could barely see it above the planting. You certainly wouldn’t have heard it from the Sunset Bar. The music and chat from the Rooftop Garden Grill and Sunset Bar are both much much more noticeable. It’s all going to be just fine. 

• Like 1

How can they show movies or sports on the screen,  or have a musician play at the same time as PB?  Seems  that area is a primary outdoor space other than the pool..if not in Retreat?

we hope it works okay on ASCENT as we plan to spent time up there

2 hours ago, HeddaGarbled said:

*How can they show movies or sports on the screen,  or have a musician play at the same time as PB?*

They don’t. Honestly, stop stressing. It’s a big space and there’s plenty of time to cater for all of us. 

I  am not stressing..but I am opposed to the ping ping ping 

We have been on E Class ships more than once, and hate to see that nice space disrupted by an activity that belongs elsewhere..sports court!

But sure we will manage..

17 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I have tinnitus also.  I will challenge you to a game 🙂  
Winner buys the beer.
  Don't mess with us old folks 🙂 

Something is wrong here.  😳

First you say you’ll play for a glass of wine.  Then you say beer.  Am I going senile?

How about we play for a glass of the $3/bottle Chardonnay from Modesto?  You know.  The one that’s on the Premium list.  😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, HeddaGarbled said:

*How can they show movies or sports on the screen,  or have a musician play at the same time as PB?*

They don’t. Honestly, stop stressing. It’s a big space and there’s plenty of time to cater for all of us. 

There was no pickle ball when there was a movie or other games going on.  The hours for the pickle ball are listed in Celebrity Today.  Was not available daily.

15 hours ago, HeddaGarbled said:

Just off Beyond. It was directly in front of the big screen, when I noticed it, and was not impinging on space nor seating. We were sitting having a drink in the rooftop garden and couldn’t hear it and could barely see it above the planting. You certainly wouldn’t have heard it from the Sunset Bar. The music and chat from the Rooftop Garden Grill and Sunset Bar are both much much more noticeable. It’s all going to be just fine. 

My point of view as well. Sailed Beyond in Aug 

Patty 

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Something is wrong here.  😳

First you say you’ll play for a glass of wine.  Then you say beer.  Am I going senile?

How about we play for a glass of the $3/bottle Chardonnay from Modesto?  You know.  The one that’s on the Premium list.  😂

Am I not sure yet if pickleball is a wine or beer sport?  When I go pro who will my sponsors be? 🤣

• 1 month later...

Wow - I was just looking for a friendly game, but I mostly got criticism & negativity, from people who obviously know nothing about Pickleball! (except for experiencing the noise NOT on a ship) The location is well away from most areas of the ship located high where you won't hear any noise unless you're by the court. 

I'm sure there will be limited hours, interspersed with movies, sports events, yoga, etc. since it's a shared space. I'll look elsewhere for fun and potential Pickleball players!

9 hours ago, bluesmom714 said:

Wow - I was just looking for a friendly game, but I mostly got criticism & negativity, from people who obviously know nothing about Pickleball! (except for experiencing the noise NOT on a ship) The location is well away from most areas of the ship located high where you won't hear any noise unless you're by the court. 

I'm sure there will be limited hours, interspersed with movies, sports events, yoga, etc. since it's a shared space. I'll look elsewhere for fun and potential Pickleball players!

You must be new to Cruise Critic if you get upset about a few jokes.

The noise, for some people, is not a joke on land.  The noise profile for pickleball is completely different from tennis.  It can be really irritating to people with tinnitus like me.  Some people find listening to it for 12 hours a day really upsetting.  And yes, I can hear my pickleball court from a half mile away if conditions are right.

On the ship you can expect windy conditions so playing pickleball may not be the experience you are expecting.  But I hope you get to play.

This is your chance to introduce pickle ball to your fellow pax.  Maybe once they learn about it, they’ll stop making jokes.

11 hours ago, bluesmom714 said:

The two E-class cruises I've been on the Garden was never that full.   I've played cornhole (bags game) in the garden area with no issues or Karen's whining about noise or "using the space wrong"  I will be on Beyond soon and will definitely be playing some pickle ball.  The Karen's mostly tend to keep to themselves in person, so you will be fine playing and having fun on YOUR vacation. 

• Like 1