Bathrooms/Restrooms in Norway

I have a query about being able to find bathrooms/restrooms whilst visiting ports on our upcoming Fjords cruise.

This will be my first trip away from home since having Urostomy surgery, and to be honest I'm a little nervous. Can someone tell me if most cafes etc have a bathroom and if public facilities are common place?

Many thanks.

Coco

Hi Coco,  In all of our travels over the years, we've never run into an issue of not being able to find a bathroom in time.  Just plan accordingly every what, 2-4 hours?  If you have tours planned, reach out to your tour guide.  If noodling around town, you've got ample time to Google Earth and plan your route out now.  Hope that helps.  

Thanks for the reply.

I've done as much planning ahead as I can, as I seem to be needing every 2 hours 😅

We've booked a couple of excursions where we're only on the bus for a maximum of an hour, the other days we will indeed be mooching about town.

I'm sure that I'm stressing about nothing and that in reality it'll be fine! 😁

Ports of call in the Norway are very, very different - some are very small towns with few and limited facilities - others are medium-sized cities with good facilities.

For more detailed answers you need to post you itinerary.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

Ports of call in the Norway are very, very different - some are very small towns with few and limited facilities - others are medium-sized cities with good facilities.

For more detailed answers you need to post you itinerary.

Yes, of course, our itinerary is as follows:

Haugesund

Nordfjordeid

Trondheim

Andalsnes

Alesund

Bergen

Kristiansand

Nordfjordeid and Åndalsnes are small towns with less than 3000 inhabitants and you must expect limited facilities.

I have not been to the two towns myself and have no experience - hope others can help.

There is very little to see in these towns.

Trondheim, Ålesund, and Bergen are all larger cities with good facilities and with interesting sights.

Haugesund and Kristiansand are bigger towns but not that interesting.

I don't know where your excursions go, but check if there are toilets at the places, if they are, for example, viewpoints.  If it's museums, it's not a problem.

Edited by hallasm

We found some public bathrooms in most towns, although they sometimes require coins. I have some medical issues as well, and if necessary I just asked in a restaurant or hotel. Everyone speaks good English and was very helpful. You don't really need it for Norway, but for some places I find it helpful to carry a medical card, so you might want to consider getting one of those. 
Our itinerary was mostly different to yours, but there are public bathrooms in Bergen and Alesund (I remember one free one in each of those ports, and others where you needed to pay) 

In Norway how common are pay toilets?  I seem to remember reading that some pay toilets do need coins.  Is this still the case since the helpful Norwegians and frequent visitors here on Cruise Critic report that most people use cards for everything. A couple hotels where I will be staying even state on their website that they are "Cashless Hotels" and don't even have any cash on the premises at all.

Thanks for this very important information!!!

😉

~Nancy

On 4/15/2023 at 12:09 AM, debsjc said:

We found some public bathrooms in most towns, although they sometimes require coins. I have some medical issues as well, and if necessary I just asked in a restaurant or hotel. Everyone speaks good English and was very helpful. You don't really need it for Norway, but for some places I find it helpful to carry a medical card, so you might want to consider getting one of those. 
Our itinerary was mostly different to yours, but there are public bathrooms in Bergen and Alesund (I remember one free one in each of those ports, and others where you needed to pay) 

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure we get hold of some coins just in case.

I was thinking that if we were wandering around town and I needed to use a bathroom, we could head into the nearest cafe ( buying a coffee and cake whilst there of course 😁 ) but was wondering if EVERY cafe had a bathroom for customers  to use ?

3 hours ago, oakridger said:

In Norway how common are pay toilets?  I seem to remember reading that some pay toilets do need coins.

A lot of public toilets in city centers and those in some shopping centers or transit stations may be pay toilets. They take bank cards with a chip. (I highly recommend having a chip-based card in Norway as several card readers are chip-only.)

I do recall there was a coin-based toilet in Vigelands Park for a while. Even ten years ago, people were always scrambling to try to find someone who had a coin when they wanted to use it, so I would hope it’s been updated by now!

All cafes and restaurants in Norway have toilets available for customers. Some (especially in busy central areas) require a code that can be obtained by asking the staff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kaisatsu said:

A lot of public toilets in city centers and those in some shopping centers or transit stations may be pay toilets. They take bank cards with a chip. (I highly recommend having a chip-based card in Norway as several card readers are chip-only.)

I do recall there was a coin-based toilet in Vigelands Park for a while. Even ten years ago, people were always scrambling to try to find someone who had a coin when they wanted to use it, so I would hope it’s been updated by now!

All cafes and restaurants in Norway have toilets available for customers. Some (especially in busy central areas) require a code that can be obtained by asking the staff.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. 

This is exactly the information I needed to put my mind at ease 😅

Coco x

We have always found that whatever country we are in the museums have free toilets. And since DW is (actually was as she is now retired) an art teacher, we frequent a lot of museums and always make sure to use the restrooms before departing.

• Like 1