Coffee maker/keurig???

Cysmeme

Taking my older brother on his last cruise. He is on oxygen 24/7 and will have a scooter. He usually has coffee at 2 or 3 a.m. every night. He  has a balcony suite. Has anyone requested a coffee maker in a room that doesn’t normally have one?

Thanks everyone, he wouldn’t want to wait on room service… he’d be asleep. by the time they got there. I know, I know. I love him but he’s not exactly easy sometimes! He bought the smallest keurig he could find and is taking it with us.

problem solved! 

I don't think the ship will allow you to bring your own coffee maker onboard. It's due to possible fire hazards.  Does your brother like a French Press coffee maker?

I just tried to copy the prohibited item list from the HAL website and it's giving me errors.  I'll check later.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

Thanks Oakridger, I didn’t even think it might be prohibited….. I think the best solution would be to take something like a thermos or yeti cup, fill on the lido before retiring for the night. Or would room service coffee stay hot from 10 until 2 or 3?

13 hours ago, oakridger said:

I don't think the ship will allow you to bring your own coffee maker onboard. It's due to possible fire hazards.  Does your brother like a French Press coffee maker?

I just tried to copy the prohibited item list from the HAL website and it's giving me errors.  I'll check later.

~Nancy

Yes, there have been other postings about coffee makers getting confiscated at embarkation.  The cruise line returns it when you disembark but that defeats the purpose of even trying to bring one onboard.  The key is nothing with a heating element is permitted to be brought onboard beyond a hair dryer or hair curling iron.

There was a story in the news recently of someone on another line--think it might have been Norwegian--where someone tried to bring on an espresso machine.  They were not allowed to bring it on so they made a big deal of it.  They didn't have a leg to stand on though because the cruise line pointed out that the guests had signed their cruise contract which explicitly prohibits items with heating elements beyond those I mentioned above.

• Like 1

From HAL's FAQ's.........

For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom. You may order hot water from our complimentary In-Room Dining service 24 hours a day.

• Like 1

I always bring a Melita #2 cone and some of my favorite grind. First morning I order a carafe of hot water from room service and hide the carafe, which on subsequent days I refill from the buffet. When available, I always use the provided coffee machine first, to fortify myself for the arduous journey to the buffet and the difficult task of brewing my first cup of real coffee.

Zee french press - she is good, but messy, no?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2