Question: Last Night is Overnight in Arrival Port

landocommando

I have a quick question about my upcoming cruise on Epic Encore.  Departs May1st from Los Angeles.  On Day 4 it arrives into Vancouver @ 12:30pm, but the cruise doesn't end until the morning of Day 5.  I'm wanting to book my flight home and there is a 7am flight on Day 5.  Normally I know that I can't book a flight any earlier than around 10am, but the ship is already going to be in port.  My question is "will I be able to leave the ship at 5am to go to the airport?"  I'm sure there are restrictions with when Customs is available, but that's normally when you are returning back to the USA.  This itinerary departs USA and end in Canada.  I would assume they allow people off the ship on Day 4 and party at night in Vancouver, but it there a curfew for those people for when they have to be back on the ship?  If there isn't a curfew, then I should be able to walk off with my suitcase at 5am, right?  Thanks in advance to anybody who has the answer to this question!

I would actually suggest you pose your question to guest services if nobody can provide actual experience - they seem to take the time to research answers before responding, unlike the phone/chat reps.  

I had a similar situation in Sydney several years ago.  People were able to disembark after we arrived but there was a specified time, probably due to staffing in the terminal.  They did the customs/immigration inspection the day we arrived so that wasn't an issue but I can't find anything in my paperwork that details the timing for people overnighting.

I don't ever recall seeing a curfew in ports the ports where I've overnighted.

I do not think so.  I remembering reading a posting last year from a person who lived just a few blocks from Canada Place, she took her suitcase off and took it home, then returned to the ship.  She was one of the first people off the next morning.  I think she left the ship as soon as it was cleared about 7:00 or 7:30 in the morning.

The airport is in Richmond, 15 or more miles from Canada Place.  Not sure what the rules are anymore.  The last time I flew from Vancouver, I had to be at the airport two hours before my flight.  I do not remember if you have to clear Canadian Customs coming off the ship or at the airport.

1 hour ago, landocommando said:

I have a quick question about my upcoming cruise on Epic Encore.  Departs May1st from Los Angeles.  On Day 4 it arrives into Vancouver @ 12:30pm, but the cruise doesn't end until the morning of Day 5.  I'm wanting to book my flight home and there is a 7am flight on Day 5.  Normally I know that I can't book a flight any earlier than around 10am, but the ship is already going to be in port.  My question is "will I be able to leave the ship at 5am to go to the airport?"  I'm sure there are restrictions with when Customs is available, but that's normally when you are returning back to the USA.  This itinerary departs USA and end in Canada.  I would assume they allow people off the ship on Day 4 and party at night in Vancouver, but it there a curfew for those people for when they have to be back on the ship?  If there isn't a curfew, then I should be able to walk off with my suitcase at 5am, right?  Thanks in advance to anybody who has the answer to this question!

When you arrive in Vancouver (Day 4) the ship will be cleared by CBSA, the gangway will be opened for you to go ashore  you're free to do whatever you want.... Welcome to Canada!  Why you couldn't walk off the ship at 0500 with your bag on Day 5 and make your way to the airport is beyond me; you're not a captive.  However, you probably should check with NCL Customer Care beforehand just in case there is some bizarre reason you can't (good luck with that phone call).  After all, you could walk off the ship with your luggage at noon on day 4 and never come back.... they can't stop you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, www3traveler said:

I do not remember if you have to clear Canadian Customs coming off the ship or at the airport.

To 'enter' Canada you will be clearing customs as part of the ship.  You can't randomly appear at the airport to 'enter' the country if you did not land there on a plane from another country.

When leaving the country you won't necessarily go through a C&I check at the airport, EXCEPT that you may pre-clear C&I for the US at YVR (this is only done during certain hours) so your plane can park at a domestic gate when you land in the US (if that's your next airport).

13 minutes ago, hallux said:

To 'enter' Canada you will be clearing customs as part of the ship.  You can't randomly appear at the airport to 'enter' the country if you did not land there on a plane from another country.

When leaving the country you won't necessarily go through a C&I check at the airport, EXCEPT that you may pre-clear C&I for the US at YVR (this is only done during certain hours) so your plane can park at a domestic gate when you land in the US (if that's your next airport).

Shouldn't be an issue for this traveller...

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/navigate-yvr/customs-and-immigration/us-customs-and-border-protection#:~:text=pre-clearance programs.,%3A30 and 23%3A30.

We were just on the Spirit last week which ended in Papeete. The ship arrived at 8pm in the evening but disembarkation was not until 8am the next day. NCL had transportation organized for people to leave during the night to get to flights that left at 3am. I do not think you should have an issue leaving early, but I would check with NCL first.