Canada & New England Scenic Shores - Port Change

Squawkman

We are booked for this cruise on the Star 10/10 - 10/24/23. We received an email that Viking is substituting Eastport, ME for Bar Harbor, ME. Did anyone who booked this itinerary for a different sailing also receive this email? Eastport is a 2.5 hour drive to Acadia where all excursions shown on the main website go. I’m assuming there will be some alternative excursions offered - which for us would be a good thing as we’ve been to Acadia. Anyone familiar with Eastport?

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

We are booked for this cruise on the Star 10/10 - 10/24/23. We received an email that Viking is substituting Eastport, ME for Bar Harbor, ME. Did anyone who booked this itinerary for a different sailing also receive this email? Eastport is a 2.5 hour drive to Acadia where all excursions shown on the main website go. I’m assuming there will be some alternative excursions offered - which for us would be a good thing as we’ve been to Acadia. Anyone familiar with Eastport?

Squawkman -

We are on the Sept 26 cruise.  We also got the notice yesterday of the port change.

Frankly, we were expecting this, as had heard that Bar Harbor doesn't want cruise ships anymore.  (Probably a good thing).  Since I sort of knew Bar Harbor was gone, glad we are not getting another sea day!

We view this change with a positive attitude as we've also been to Bar Harbor and Acadia but never Eastport.  It should be interesting!  I'll just do my own research on it - sounds like a great town with an amazing history - my kind of place.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Squawkman -

We are on the Sept 26 cruise.  We also got the notice yesterday of the port change.

Frankly, we were expecting this, as had heard that Bar Harbor doesn't want cruise ships anymore.  (Probably a good thing).  Since I sort of knew Bar Harbor was gone, glad we are not getting another sea day!

We view this change with a positive attitude as we've also been to Bar Harbor and Acadia but never Eastport.  It should be interesting!  I'll just do my own research on it - sounds like a great town with an amazing history - my kind of place.

We share the same opinion. Please let us know what you find out. Thanks 😊 

8 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Eastport is a small town...being the eastern most town in the US.  It has extremely high and low tides, around 50 feet which is interesting to see.  There are lots of local shops, art, locally made crafts, restaurants (lobster is king in Maine).  You can take a local boat cruise from there that pulls lobster traps, if you have never seen how this is done and most of the time you will see whales too.  The coast of Maine is some of the most beautiful scenery in all the US in my opinion.  I lived in Camden Maine for 15 years and traveled around the state a lot.  Eastport is on an island but is connected to the main land by a bridge.  There will probably be other excursions listed for Eastport later on MVJ.  Bar Harbor doesn't want cruise ships and passed regulations against them.  Last I heard they were only allowing 1000 cruise passengers a day to visit.  Maybe another cruise has already garnered that 1000 limit for the day you were suppose to be there.   Just enjoy Maine as in the summer it is absolutely beautiful.  (Pretty also in winter..but very cold and snowy).   Enjoy.

• Like 2

I am very disappointed that we aren’t going to be stopping in Bar Harbor, having never been in Maine (had seen the state while in Canada, looking across the water). We so wanted to tour Acadia National Park and wonder when Bar Harbor closed to cruise ships. We love Eastern Canada and the lobster and mussels were delicious and plentiful when we were there. 

Valerie 

1 hour ago, rayandjean said:

I am very disappointed that we aren’t going to be stopping in Bar Harbor, having never been in Maine (had seen the state while in Canada, looking across the water). We so wanted to tour Acadia National Park and wonder when Bar Harbor closed to cruise ships. We love Eastern Canada and the lobster and mussels were delicious and plentiful when we were there. 

Valerie 

I would bet the included 2 hour Acadia tour will still run with busing from Eastport.

I guess we are more of a glass half full couple, and we like to make lemonade.  Or maybe we have learned to go with the flow, see something positive about unexpected changes.  These days, to travel and enjoy it, you pretty much better be that way or you’ll get frustrated..  just my two cents.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rayandjean said:

That would be fantastic if we could still get to Acadia from Eastport. 

A quick look on Google maps shows Acadia National Park to be around 2hr 30mins by road from Eastport so I guess it might be doable if the ship is in port for at last 7hrs.

From its size I'm presuming that Eastport will probably be a tender port like Bar Harbor so that could complicate the timings a little bit.