Lamego or Mateus?

lenetere

I posted this a few days ago in the Ports forum, but haven't gotten any responses.  Hope someone here can help!

Our Douro River cruise has an included Guided tour of Lamego.  It also has an optional tour of the Mateus Manor House.  Does anyone have thoughts on either of these?  If Mateus is marvelous, then I would certainly go.  But if Lamego is charming and not to be missed, then I want to do that!!!  

What do you do for the tour in Lamego? We stopped there for about two hours on our self-drive from Porto to Salamanca.

We went to the old town near the castle and wandered there for a bit. Nice views from the castle, but not much of a "castle" per se. There was a cute little archaeology museum near by. Again, a quick stop.

Then we went to another part of town and climbed the stairs all the way up to the Church of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios. Beautiful staircase with azulejos along the way. We didn't visit the church.

There are some pictures of Lamego here:

https://notadourocruise.blogspot.com/2019/11/day-6-along-douro-from-porto-to.html

Don't know anything about the other option - sorry!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

Decide on your own - Lamego and Mateus.

If I could do only one I´d go for Mateus.

steamboats

Thanks for your input – I'm facing this same choice on Scenic in September.  But I can't get the image of Mah-toos as a cheap drink in college out of my head...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, jpalbny said:

What do you do for the tour in Lamego? We stopped there for about two hours on our self-drive from Porto to Salamanca.

All I know is this:  

Today, on an included excursion, you will visit the marvelous Baroque village of Lamego, stopping to see the picturesque Shrine of Our Lady of Remedies, a structure that stands gracefully over the town

1 hour ago, lenetere said:

Today, on an included excursion, you will visit the marvelous Baroque village of Lamego, stopping to see the picturesque Shrine of Our Lady of Remedies, a structure that stands gracefully over the town

Ok, that's the church we climbed to. It's an enjoyable stop. More fun if you climb the stairs! 😉 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if Emerald will be doing the same excursion itineraries as Scenic, but here are the descriptions from our Scenic Douro cruise:

Tour the elegant town of Lamego, with its many fine Baroque structures.  Your tour will culminate at the stunning Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption, standing gracefully overlooking the town.  The front of the cathedral is lined by a zigzagged staircase decorated in traditional blue and white tiled mosaics leading down to the town centre.

Duration:  3.5 hours      Activity level:  Moderate

Or enjoy a guided visit of Mateus Palace, the historic icon depicted on the labels of Portugal’s famous Mateus rosé wine.  Following your tour of the palace stroll the magnificent gardens of this splendid estate, see the beautiful landscaped gardens dotted with impressive statues and stunning reflective ponds.

Duration:  2.5 hours      Activity level:  Relaxed            Maximum 44 guests

When we did the Douro, the Mateus Palace was closed for renovation when I find my notebook and date for the photographs I will try to help. When my Mum bless her little cotton socks, passed away clearing here house she still had Mateus Rose bottles filled with sand as door stops, now that wine all those years ago was considered quite sophisticated but mum liked the bottle shape - she was quite the wine connoisseur but preferred an evening glass of Tio Pepe straight from the fridge.

Our tour included the drive up to the church, visit of the church. Then we either walked down the stairs or took the bus (we walked). After that we did tour the museum. We had an hour of free time in Lamego where we also visited the cathedral. For some exercise we climed up the stairs again and bought some souvenirs in the church shop and then down again to meet our bus.

The Mateus Palace is very impressive from outside and inside. The gardens are regarded as the best of Portugal. And you have that postcard picture of the palace mirroring in the artifical lake. So a mix of history, culture and gardening.

steamboats

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm not sure if Emerald will be doing the same excursion itineraries as Scenic, but here are the descriptions from our Scenic Douro cruise:

Tour the elegant town of Lamego, with its many fine Baroque structures.  Your tour will culminate at the stunning Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption, standing gracefully overlooking the town.  The front of the cathedral is lined by a zigzagged staircase decorated in traditional blue and white tiled mosaics leading down to the town centre.

Duration:  3.5 hours      Activity level:  Moderate

Or enjoy a guided visit of Mateus Palace, the historic icon depicted on the labels of Portugal’s famous Mateus rosé wine.  Following your tour of the palace stroll the magnificent gardens of this splendid estate, see the beautiful landscaped gardens dotted with impressive statues and stunning reflective ponds.

Duration:  2.5 hours      Activity level:  Relaxed            Maximum 44 guests

It's probably the same, other than Emerald being Discover More for Mateus Palace.  Thank you so much!

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But I can't get the image of Mah-toos as a cheap drink in college out of my head.

The only connection the Mateus Place has with Mateus Rose wine is the latter uses a picture of the former on its label.

The drinks owner offered the place a payment for every bottle sold, but the palace didn't accept that and took a flat payment. If they'd taken the fraction of a cent or whatever for every bottle sold they'd have made a fortune.....

I've been on a cruise that included a tour of the Mateus Palace, attractive gardens on multiple levels. The attraction of the inside of the palace will depend on how many grand historical homes one has previously visited.

image.png.4c04118697ce19e7cdcb1b65c3d4d401.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pontac said:

I've been on a cruise that included a tour of the Mateus Palace, attractive gardens on multiple levels. The attraction of the inside of the palace will depend on how many grand historical homes one has previously visited.

@pontac, thanks, that's quite helpful!

The Casa de Mateus is a 18c historical house and garden. which as has been mentioned has no connection with the wine apart from the image on the label.

Lamego is a town overlooked by a shrine with a zigzag stairway down to the town.

I am surprised that your cruise does not visit both.  IMHO there is more to see and do in Lamego, but if you are looking for a shorter more relaxed excursion then maybe Mateus

• Like 1