Chioggia

jasardeax

We are currently in Chioggia 

precruise for 2 nights before our

4/22 cruise. 
Just arrived this afternoon, went for a long walk around the canals. Lots of ristorantes, caffès, bars, gelato places, etc. 
There are several historic sites, churches, etc. we plan on visiting tomorrow. 
The vibe on the canal  side streets and bridges is of a “Little Venice”, without the crowds. 
We have, what we hope are, great recommendations for dinner for both nights. 
I will only be here to cruise embarkation on Saturday, but I would be happy to try to answer any questions anyone may have about Chioggia. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, maggie777 said:

What hotel did you book? Any restaurant reviews would be appreciated. How did you travel to Chioggia?

We are at the

Dimora Fattorina Design House. 
It’s right in the center on a little street close to the Via del Corso

Beautiful place, great hostess, very quiet, lots of space, and public area. 
I will comment on restaurants after dinner tonight and tomorrow. 
We traveled from Padua, where we had stayed for the last few nights. We had the hotel arrange transport. About an hours drive from Padua. Great driver. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In Chioggia,

Dinner last night at El Gato. 
It was about a 3 minute walk from our accommodation. 
It is right on the mail street, the Corso del Popolo. 
Very nice interior, a bit on the modern side. 
We were greeted by a friendly host and seated immediately. 
Very nice, reasonably priced, wine list presented on a tablet computer. The Veneto and many regions of Italy were represented on the list. 
We settled on a Soave Classic from the Veneto. 
We had scallops in the shell, oysters, and spider crab as

appetizers. All were good, with the sweet scallops being the star. 
For entrees we chose sea bass baked in parchment paper and a mixed grill of seafood. 
The sea bass was flaky, tasty, and tender. The mixed grill consisted of shrimp, king prawns, sardines, squid, and several varieties of small filet Ed fish. All were fresh and tasty, especially the king prawns. 
We also had some mixed vegetables in soar as a side that were good. 
We both had a cafe, but skipped dessert. 
The bill was about 120 Euro total with a bottle of excellent wine. 
Dinner at 8 tonight on our last night in Chioggia. We sail tomorrow. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jasardeax said:

In Chioggia,

Dinner last night at El Gato. 
It was about a 3 minute walk from our accommodation. 
It is right on the mail street, the Corso del Popolo. 
Very nice interior, a bit on the modern side. 
We were greeted by a friendly host and seated immediately. 
Very nice, reasonably priced, wine list presented on a tablet computer. The Veneto and many regions of Italy were represented on the list. 
We settled on a Soave Classic from the Veneto. 
We had scallops in the shell, oysters, and spider crab as

appetizers. All were good, with the sweet scallops being the star. 
For entrees we chose sea bass baked in parchment paper and a mixed grill of seafood. 
The sea bass was flaky, tasty, and tender. The mixed grill consisted of shrimp, king prawns, sardines, squid, and several varieties of small filet Ed fish. All were fresh and tasty, especially the king prawns. 
We also had some mixed vegetables in soar as a side that were good. 
We both had a cafe, but skipped dessert. 
The bill was about 120 Euro total with a bottle of excellent wine. 
Dinner at 8 tonight on our last night in Chioggia. We sail tomorrow. 

Thank you for all the info about your stay in Chioggia. We will be there in Oct and are very much looking forward to new frontiers. Have a wonderful cruise.

1 minute ago, maggie777 said:

Thank you for all the info about your stay in Chioggia. We will be there in Oct and are very much looking forward to new frontiers. Have a wonderful cruise.

Maggie 777

Thank you for your kind reply. 

Wishing you and yours a great journey too. 

On 4/20/2023 at 1:10 PM, jasardeax said:

We are at the

Dimora Fattorina Design House. 
It’s right in the center on a little street close to the Via del Corso

Beautiful place, great hostess, very quiet, lots of space, and public area. 
I will comment on restaurants after dinner tonight and tomorrow. 
We traveled from Padua, where we had stayed for the last few nights. We had the hotel arrange transport. About an hours drive from Padua. Great driver. 

What company did you use for a transfer from Padua to Chioggia and what was the cost? We’re doing the opposite when we disembark in Chioggia in July. I was planning to book the Azamara transfer to central Venice and then take the train, but the car would probably be easier.

9 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

What company did you use for a transfer from Padua to Chioggia and what was the cost? We’re doing the opposite when we disembark in Chioggia in July. I was planning to book the Azamara transfer to central Venice and then take the train, but the car would probably be easier.

The hotel we stayed at in Padua made the arrangements for the transfer to Chioggia, so I don’t really know the name of the company. 
We stayed at the Majestic Toscanelli hotel in Padua. 
Perhaps, your accommodation in Padua could make arrangements with a transfer company to pick you up in

Chioggia. The cost was 120 Euro for the two of us. The van could have easily transported at least 4 people with luggage. 
We loved our time in Padua. 
Hope you have a great cruise and trip. 

• Like 2

Embark this afternoon. 
We had dinner at the

Ristorante Alberto Capo

in our last and final night in Chioggia. 
Pleasant, but very dated decor and interior. Staff was friendly and helpful. 
We had 

Spider Crab

Pasta with Sea Scallops and radicchio 

Huge prawns with a balsamic glaze

Fresh grilled squid

Oysters

and very good tiramisu for dessert. 
Also a nice, inexpensive bottle

of Pinot Grigio

Everything was very good, especially the spider crab. 
The bill was 86 Euro

The service was friendly and

efficient. 

• Like 3

We're just off the Journey, having used this taxi for transfers between Mestre and Chioggia and in reverse. http://www.taxichioggia.net/il-taxi/ One of my criteria in picking it was that it was a local Chioggia based company, andnthe benefits of having ships calling was going into the local economy.

I think it's a one-man business and Stefano was great.  I had to be a little forceful when it looked like he had double-booked himself, but everything worked out perfectly in the end.

I though the price very reasonable and he dropped us off at three different hotels in Mestre.  There were six of us but the taxi could have seated eight and taken eight people's luggage.

Total cost each way was €125 (and would have been €110 if there had only been four of us).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HarJan56 said:

Hi fruitmachine, did Azamara offer any transfers into Venice or the airport on the day of disembarkation?

What did other passengers do, do you know? I guess your one man business will be very busy 

Yes.  I can't remember the exact prices, but I think it was just under $20 for a transfer to Venice (Tronchetto) and just under $25 for Venice Marco Polo Airport.

I've attached the sheet we got about disembarkation times.

There was a full mix of the above and independents getting taxis to various locations.
Scan20230426203448.pdf

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HarJan56 said:

Hi fruitmachine, did Azamara offer any transfers into Venice or the airport on the day of disembarkation?

What did other passengers do, do you know? I guess your one man business will be very busy 

When I check for our July cruise, Azamara shows transfers from port to the airport for $29.82 and to Venice City for $23.61.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

When I check for our July cruise, Azamara shows transfers from port to the airport for $29.82 and to Venice City for $23.61.

Ahhh ... I may have given UK Sterling prices, but incorrectly labelled as US$.  That sounds about the same.

On 4/27/2023 at 4:45 PM, HarJan56 said:

Many thanks to both of you. Has put my mind at rest about getting out of Chioggia easily. Did anyone travel into Venice for the day on an Azamara excursion? Did it feel too long a journey there and back?

I don't think there was one, other than perhaps airport-bound passengers, and even that may have been to another city (Padua rings a bell).

Without cases, I think the Arriva 80 bus or the Vaporetto/Bus Line 11 would both be easily workable solutions, but the travel time is just over an hour.

We are ending our cruise in Chioggia and we have booked a hotel for one night in Chioggia before we head home. Can someone tell me if there are readily available taxis when we depart that can take us from the port to our hotel? I believe it is only a couple of miles.

Edited by kimberlydrzymala

6 minutes ago, kimberlydrzymala said:

We are ending our cruise in Chioggia and we have booked a hotel for one night in Chioggia before we head home. Can someone tell me if there are readily available taxis when we depart that can take us from the port to our hotel? I believe it is only a couple of miles.

There wasn't an obvious queue of taxis last week, but we didn't get off the ship until 9.00am, so any that were there could easily have gone with fares by then.  I'd ask your hotel to book you one, though the walk-out is relatively straightforward if you want to do it on foot (we walked into Chioggia and back on embarkation day after checking in).

We will be arriving in Chioggia May 18th and have booked a hotel also in Chioggia for one night. I see lots of options for trips to Venice or the airport but I have not seen anything about local transportation from the port to the hotel. Can anyone tell me if there are typically local taxi's available? I have emailed the hotel but had no response yet. I appreciate any input that anyone has.

We arrive there this Friday. I know there are taxis because our hotel offered to send one for us at the airport. I also saw a picture-post of a taxi waiting for people at the bus stop. But, see the post below by a recent cruiser.  I think with the season upon them, there will be more and more taxis available because Az will be in Chioggia two weekends in a row and 4 days of those 2 weekends.  they'll come from far and wide to get the big bucks for the 5 min drive. I don't think you need to worry about doing this in advance.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2930697-tell-me-about-chioggia-italy/?do=findComment&comment=65230435

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 11:43 AM, kimberlydrzymala said:

There are just a handful (literally) of taxis in Chioggia. Passengers were repeatedly warned by the Cruise Director to make plans for their transportation at disembarkation before getting off the ship. Azamara offered very reasonably priced transfers to airport, train, etc. When l walked into the town while on a b2b, I stopped in the largest hotel and asked at the desk about transfers to/from the ship. They told me that they pre-book taxis for their guests because there are only 3 taxis in the town. If a taxi isn't pre-booked, you can be out of luck. I wouldn't walk to town with luggage in tow because it is not a short walk and you'll encounter uneven surfaces (cobblestones) and a bridge with steps. If you are staying at a hotel in Chioggia, I would suggest that you ask them to arrange for your pick up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2023 at 11:01 AM, Lisaten said:

We arrive there this Friday. I know there are taxis because our hotel offered to send one for us at the airport. I also saw a picture-post of a taxi waiting for people at the bus stop. But, see the post below by a recent cruiser.  I think with the season upon them, there will be more and more taxis available because Az will be in Chioggia two weekends in a row and 4 days of those 2 weekends.  they'll come from far and wide to get the big bucks for the 5 min drive. I don't think you need to worry about doing this in advance.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2930697-tell-me-about-chioggia-italy/?do=findComment&comment=65230435

Transportation in Chioggia must be arranged in advance. There are NOT taxis waiting around to be hired. According to the largest hotel in town, the entire town has only 3 taxis. It's important to make your arrangements before you go. Azamara offers bus transfers to and from the airport, train, etc at a decent price.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, avw said:

Transportation in Chioggia must be arranged in advance. There are NOT taxis waiting around to be hired. According to the largest hotel in town, the entire town has only 3 taxis. It's important to make your arrangements before you go. Azamara offers bus transfers to and from the airport, train, etc at a decent price.

Interesting, we walked off the ship and there were two taxis side by side. We walked up and asked if they could taxi us to the Grande Italia hotel. From stepping out the cruise terminal to hotel took 10 minutes. We booked the same taxi there and then for our airport transfer at 7pm later that day!