What am I missing? HIA question

tartanmom

Don’t figure the cost.  I’m on vacation, don’t  need wi fi, as4 star special coffee already half price.  I buy the cola package and order my alcohol for my room to enjoy on my balcony instead of needing to go to a bar each time. And I drink the water from my cabin sink. Just like home. But that’s me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banditswife said:

Thanks, this thread is the 1st time I have heard of  "advantage" pricing.  I will try to remember  your formula to calculate.  In our most recent booking, using that formula does make HIA worth it, even though we are not huge drinkers.  

Back in late '22 when I booked our 7 day Alaska cruise the Advantage Fare with refundable deposit was $100 CDN more than the lowest base price non-refundable fare.  I mentioned this in another thread and the response was it was about $80 US difference.  

The challenge with HIA is that there isn't one HIA package.  HIA is simply a discount bundling of amenities and HAL has offered a different bundling of amenities at different times under HIA.  My guess is that HAL is simply testing the market to see what bundle works best.

Reading current live threads it appears that HAL has limited the number of beverages available for the Signature Beverage Package.  This amenity might not be as attractive as many hope.

37 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

Back in late '22 when I booked our 7 day Alaska cruise the Advantage Fare with refundable deposit was $100 CDN more than the lowest base price non-refundable fare.  I mentioned this in another thread and the response was it was about $80 US difference.  

The challenge with HIA is that there isn't one HIA package.  HIA is simply a discount bundling of amenities and HAL has offered a different bundling of amenities at different times under HIA.  My guess is that HAL is simply testing the market to see what bundle works best.

Reading current live threads it appears that HAL has limited the number of beverages available for the Signature Beverage Package.  This amenity might not be as attractive as many hope.

For us, the additional cost from the non refundable fare was $1078 for a 14 day cruise. dining $140 + shorex $400 + internet $100 + drinks $438.  I think we will drink  at least that much in specialty coffee & other beverages.

Edited by Banditswife

We checked out the pricing for a Canada/newfoundland/New England cruise for Sept/23 in January. Price for inside cabin with HIA was just over $8000/couple. Advantage price, which was an option on HAL site as well as TA site, had a larger deposit but was fully refundable. No HIA. Which we booked. We have since added the HIA pkg and booked our flight ease flights and are still just over $7000/couple total. Savings over $500pp and it now includes the airfare.....and other han the deposit, have not paid anything with it all fully refundable until our final payment date. Bottom line....Check out all your options including checking on TA pricing. We got free obc included thru our TA.  Bonus!!

• Like 2

On 4/22/2023 at 4:06 PM, Cruise Suzy said:

There is a third price for cruises - not listed on the Website. It's the Advantage Price - refundable deposit but no Have It All. You or your TA must call to get the cruise price. Sometimes you can estimate the Advantage Price by adding the normal deposit amount to the non-refundable deposit cruise price. Once you have the Advantage Price, then you can see how much Have It All costs and do the math to see whether or not it is worth it to you.

Disappointing that HAL does not list the "Advantage Price" on their website.  I just put on hold a 7-day, 2024 cruise, for three non-drinking adults.  My only price options were "Cruise Only" (with non-refundable deposit) and HIA.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 9:37 AM, Kate45 said:

We checked out the pricing for a Canada/newfoundland/New England cruise for Sept/23 in January. Price for inside cabin with HIA was just over $8000/couple. Advantage price, which was an option on HAL site as well as TA site, had a larger deposit but was fully refundable. No HIA. Which we booked. We have since added the HIA pkg and booked our flight ease flights and are still just over $7000/couple total. Savings over $500pp and it now includes the airfare.....and other han the deposit, have not paid anything with it all fully refundable until our final payment date. Bottom line....Check out all your options including checking on TA pricing. We got free obc included thru our TA.  Bonus!!

We ended up booking the cruise only fare and then the HIA package separate. $300 refundable deposit, OBC credit included. Like you we are saving approx. $500 per person. 

On 4/22/2023 at 3:54 PM, Banditswife said:

I am not sure you can change non refundable to refundable after a cruise is booked.  When starting a new booking, I asked our TA to check the price with & without HIA.  That is where I learned that if I booked w/o HIA, it would be non refundable.  I think HAL does that to encourage the higher amount paid for a cruise.

TWhen we booked a future cruise while onboard, the rep didn't give us any other options.  We had to book with the premium HIA pkg.  He kept pointing out how our deposit was fully refundable & the low price guarantee.  I imagine that if we find a lower price, they will say we lose the premium HIA pkg with the lower price.  I questioned the $11,000+ for the 27 day Amazon Explorer in 2025 in an inside cabin.  That is when he kept pointing out the fully refundable & low price guarantee.  I look at it this way:  we have until Oct of 2024 to make final payment & until then to cancel w/o penalty.  If I find a better deal, we will just cancel & rebook.

Thanks for responding.  Now I understand.  I had completely forgotten that you can usually books the lower fare, non-refundable, or  "the better deal"  which is with refundable and HIA.   We recently signed up, while on board, for a future 51-day cruise.  The "better deal" was considerably better, and it was refundable.