Live and live from Nieuw Amsterdam on her voyage up north to Alaska

Copper10-8

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good to hear there is entertainment on your ship John.  I thought your Ecuadorian guitarist's name sounded familiar and verified we had seen him perform on our Seabourn Antarctica/South Georgia Island cruise Dec. 2016-Jan.2017.  We also ate dinner at his table one evening and enjoyed the conversation as well as his charming personality.  Seabourn likes to have what they call hosted tables and we enjoyed dining with people like entertainer Nestor, medical staff, even the Captain.  

Thanks; he's actually from Uruguay an he is performing again tonite. The PG manager, Carlos, is from Uruguay also. We asked him just now while having brekkie if he was aware of his countryman Nestor being onboard, since Uruguay is not the first country that comes to mind when you're talking HAL crew members. Carlos said no, and added that Nestor was welcome to visit the PG, as long as he brought a bottle of wine because that's the custom in la Republica Oriental del Uruguay! 😉 

Coat of arms of Uruguay

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Love the cat!  Hi, John, we are just back from our travels, and just read your thread today - what day are you in Victoria?  Is it tomorrow?  Sorry I'm so late in "getting onboard", but do you have plans in Victoria, or can we take you out?  Is it that awful 6 p.m. until 11, or will you be around for longer?  I don't know what we could fit in, I'll have to check times at the Air Museum, which we promised you so long ago, but Butchart's should be looking good.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Love the cat!  Hi, John, we are just back from our travels, and just read your thread today - what day are you in Victoria?  Is it tomorrow?  Sorry I'm so late in "getting onboard", but do you have plans in Victoria, or can we take you out?  Is it that awful 6 p.m. until 11, or will you be around for longer?  I don't know what we could fit in, I'll have to check times at the Air Museum, which we promised you so long ago, but Butchart's should be looking good.  

Hi Ann; I had no clue you guys would be back already from your trans-Atlantic! Hope you two had an excellent time on the new Rotterdam and had a chance to try the Grand Dutch Cafe! Yes, we will be in your beautiful city tomorrow from 12:00 Noon until 11:00 PM (All aboard is 10:30 PM).

We actually already have shore excursions booked and we are splitting up because Maria is tired of hanging out with me 🤣 She's going on a tour to, you guessed it, Butchart's Gardens, while I'm going on a whale watch tour to look for Orcas. Unfortunately, they are not refundable which is understandable. Would you two be interested in dinner in Victoria tomorrow evening? We actually were thinking about the Bard & Banker at Government & Fort Street and take the shuttle bus there after returning from our individual tours. If you are both still suffering from jetlag, we completely understand and will take a rain check for next time! 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hi Ann; I had no clue you guys would be back already from your trans-Atlantic! Hope you two had an excellent time on the new Rotterdam and had a chance to try the Grand Dutch Cafe! Yes, we will be in your beautiful city tomorrow from 12:00 Noon until 11:00 PM (All aboard is 10:30 PM).

We actually already have shore excursions booked and we are splitting up because Maria is tired of hanging out with me 🤣 She's going on a tour to, you guessed it, Butchart's Gardens, while I'm going on a whale watch tour to look for Orcas. Unfortunately, they are not refundable which is understandable. Would you two be interested in dinner in Victoria tomorrow evening? We actually were thinking about the Bard & Banker at Government & Fort Street and take the shuttle bus there after returning from our individual tours. If you are both still suffering from jetlag, we completely understand and will take a rain check for next time! 

We could pick you up at the ship after your tours, the Bard and Banker sounds good , or we could go somewhere else - wish our favourite, the Oak Bay Marina, was still open!  What time do your tours end?  

We fell asleep quite early last night,  but will practice this evening staying up past 9 o’clock!  After all, this is home, right?     

Really looking forward to seeing both of you.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Always good to see you here Sir!

Thanks, Devil Dog!  John, it's always good to see what you are up to, so any thread of yours gets my attention. 

BTW, that security officer's stateroom you showed, while not at all like a Neptune Suite, is pretty darned cushy by Navy standards -- it looks like a Department Head (LCDR or CDR) stateroom on a carrier, at least the ones I used to ride, but then on HAL the security officer I believe IS a DH.  (But Navy dudes don't get a porthole 😁.)

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

We could pick you up at the ship after your tours, the Bard and Banker sounds good , or we could go somewhere else - wish our favourite, the Oak Bay Marina, was still open!  What time do your tours end?  

We fell asleep quite early last night,  but will practice this evening staying up past 9 o’clock!  After all, this is home, right?     

Really looking forward to seeing both of you.  

Ann; if it's not too much trouble for you and Pat, would a 6:30 PM pickup at Ogden Point be doable and does the Bard & Banker have good parking? If I remember correctly from my working days, we have to meet you outside in the area where the shuttle buses pickup/drop off is. Nieuw A is assigned the B Pier, south side and we are there with Discovery Princess who has the B Pier, north side. My Orca tour is from 12:30-1530 however Maria's trip to the land of flowers at Butchart's is from  2:00-5:30 PM. We really appreciate you two doing this for us, especially having just come back from Europe!!

Victoria anticipates Ogden Point terminal redevelopment

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, RetiredMustang said:

Thanks, Devil Dog!  John, it's always good to see what you are up to, so any thread of yours gets my attention. 

BTW, that security officer's stateroom you showed, while not at all like a Neptune Suite, is pretty darned cushy by Navy standards -- it looks like a Department Head (LCDR or CDR) stateroom on a carrier, at least the ones I used to ride, but then on HAL the security officer I believe IS a DH.  (But Navy dudes don't get a porthole 😁.)

Dave

That's funny Dave! Yes, I was a DH with 2 1/2 bars with HAL, and have always had a port hole on A-Deck while working. The shower wasn't that big; you learned real fast to put soap on the walls, do the hokey pokey, and get real friendly with that shower curtain 😉 I did a float once on a gator, the old USS Iwo Jima (LPH-2). All the jarheads were down somewhere below the water line sleeping in racks 😎 Good times!

navy-lieutenant-commander.png

lph-2 uss iwo jima class amphibious assault ship landing platform helicopter us navy 67 operation desert storm shield

• Like 4

Day 2 – Thursday 27 APR 23

Those HAL beds and multitude of pillows are sure comfy making for a deep sleep! We woke up around 0700-0715 hours to overcast skies and a temp of about 65 degrees Fahrenheit as Nieuw A was steaming northbound along the California coast, off Ventura County, at 19 knots in international waters which is at least 12 miles out.

One of the perks of a Neptune Suite is the ability to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill Restaurant (until 0930 on sea days) so that’s exactly what we did. The manager in there is Senor Carlos from the South American country of Uruguay. One of the very few Uruguayans working as crew on Hal. We both chose the eggs benedict minus sauce which was served promptly and hot. The eggs came with a little hash brown and we both had Greek vanilla yoghurt as an appetizer along with a nice cup of mint tea. Makes for a quiet and relaxing breakfast in there. Besides Senor Carlos, the PG crew, including the female host, is all from Indonesia, so no Dutchies and/or Hungarians on this one.

After petit dejeuner, we took a stroll of the ship, paying attention to the “new stuff” since we last sailed her. Today, 27 May, happens to be “Koningsdag” / “King’s Day” in the Netherlands. It is a national holiday and celebrates the Dutch Monarch, King Willem-Alexander's birthday with lots of music, dancing, flea markets and fun fairs. When Queen Beatrix, Willem-Alaxander’s mum, was still head of state, Queen's Day was celebrated on 30 April. This changed in 2014 when Willem-Alexander ascended the throne. The Dutch have called it King's Day ever since and everyone in the Netherlands, including the royal family, celebrates King's Day on 27 April.

If you have ever seen photographs of King's Day, you probably noticed that almost everyone is dressed in orange. This is because the royal family bears the name “House of Orange” (Huis van Oranje) and as a result it has become the national color. But how did this come about? Well, it originated with Willem of Orange. He was born Willem of Nassau-Dillenburg in 1533. At the age of 11, he inherited the Principality of Orange in the south of France, thus becoming a sovereign monarch. His full name then became Willem of Orange-Nassau, or Willem of Orange for short. He led the Dutch revolt against Spain and when he captured the city of Den Briel from Spain, people used orange as a symbolic color for the first time. He is considered The Father of the Fatherland. Dutch people wear orange as a symbol of national unity and a sign of pride. More about King’s Day on the Nieuw Amsterdam later.

At 10:00 AM, we found ourselves inside the B.B. King’s Blues Club on Deck 2 starboard side for a cooking demonstration of Dutch Split Pea Soup, “Erwten soep” in Dutch by none other than Nieuw A’s captain Jeroen van Donselaar. We weren’t the only ones inside the club, the place was filed to the brim with standing room only. The black shirts had placed several folding chairs on the dance floor for extra seating. The captain, an avid cook at home in Maine, was introduced by Kimberley, Nieuw A’s cruise & travel director, and assisted by PG Chef Bram, another cloggy. Using the old America’s Test Kitchen equipment such as the large bar/cooking stove, and the overhead cameras, Kaptein Jeroen proceeded to prepare a quantity of “erwten soep” in a large pan accompanied by a play-by-play and a question-and-answer session facilitated by Kimberly. Recipes of how to make split pea soup were handed out and, at the conclusion of the demo, waiters were handing out cups of the soup to the audience so preceding the traditional serving of erwten soep on the coldest day of the cruise, that being next week on the visit to Glacier Bay National Park.

As some of you know, Maria is quite the water color enthusiast at home, so here on Nieuw Amsterdam, she discovered, and wound up taking, two painting classes; “Adventures in Water Color” at 11:00 AM and “Modern Brush Lettering” at 2:00 PM, taught by Rose, a ,member of the entertainment staff, with both classes taking place in the meeting room on the port side of the Crow’s Nest on Deck 11, now known as the Art Studio.

We wound up having lunch around 1:00 Pm at the Dive-In on Deck 9 mid-ships by the Lido Pool, where Maria had the Back Flip chicken sandwich, while I had a Dive-In Dog.

(To be con't)

May be an image of text

May be an image of map and text that says 'Norte Oregon Siskiyou CALIFORNIA MAP Modoc Trinity Idaho Lassen Tehama Glenn N Butte Colusa Sierra Sonoma Yolo Dorado Amador Calavera Joaquin Tuolumne Marin Contra Costa San Francisco San Mateo Santa Cruz- Nevada Mono Mariposa Merced Fresno Monterey Tulare Inyo Kem Santa Barbara Ventura aeoa Channel Islands Orange Snda Cotalina island Map scale infoandopinion.com Riverside San Saeigo Arizona MEXICO'

May be an image of dessert and fruit

May be an image of 2 people and steak

May be an image of 1 person and sushi

May be an image of 3 people

May be an illustration of text

May be an image of 4 people, people swimming and pool

May be an image of chicken sandwich, souvlakia, club sandwich and text

May be an image of 6 people, people studying, television and text that says 'ART STUDIO'

May be an image of 1 person

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Ann; if it's not too much trouble for you and Pat, would a 6:30 PM pickup at Ogden Point be doable and does the Bard & Banker have good parking? If I remember correctly from my working days, we have to meet you outside in the area where the shuttle buses pickup/drop off is. Nieuw A is assigned the B Pier, south side and we are there with Discovery Princess who has the B Pier, north side. My Orca tour is from 12:30-1530 however Maria's trip to the land of flowers at Butchart's is from  2:00-5:30 PM. We really appreciate you two doing this for us, especially having just come back from Europe!!

Victoria anticipates Ogden Point terminal redevelopment

That's a great map of Ogden Point. (I might steal it!)   We usually park up in the area near the heliport, entering at No,3.  We would then walk over to the new terminal and look for you there. I'm not sure about on-street parking at the Bard &Banker, but we should be an able to get into the parkade at the Bay Centre across the street.  I'll check the timing, but there is also a big lot closer to the Inner Harbour.  So we will see you at 6:30 tomorrow.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

That's a great map of Ogden Point. (I might steal it!)   We usually park up in the area near the heliport, entering at No,3.  We would then walk over to the new terminal and look for you there. I'm not sure about on-street parking at the Bard &Banker, but we should be an able to get into the parkade at the Bay Centre across the street.  I'll check the timing, but there is also a big lot closer to the Inner Harbour.  So we will see you at 6:30 tomorrow.

Awesome! 😀Maria and I are really looking forward to it! See you both at 6:30 outside the new terminal at the B Pier

• Like 3

Day 2 - Thursday 27 May 23 - At Sea (con't)

For the afternoon, we did lots of chilling and taking it easy until 4:30 PM where, after receiving an invitation, attended a party for Dutch speaking guests only in honor of Dutch King Willem Alexander on his birthday. It was held in the Explorer’s Lounge on Deck 2 starboard side aft and wound up being well attended by the 23 Dutch passengers and many of the Dutch officers, incl. the captain, staff captain, hotel general manager, chief engineer, executive chief housekeeper, and many others. Kaptein Jeroen gave a speech and toast, and singled out one of his passengers, a career Dutch diplomat who, upon his return home from Nieuw Amsterdam to the little western European county, would receive a high Dutch civil commendation from that same King Willem Alexander.

The Order of Orange-Nassau or “Orde van Oranje-Nassau” in Dutch, is a civil and military order or chivalry founded on 4 April 1892 by the queen regent at that time, Emma of the Netherlands. Every year, about 4,500 people are accepted as a member of the Order of Orange-Nassau. Cool event this afternoon. that we have never attended before! Thanks for the invite, Ruben!

Btw, all Nieuw Amsterdam crew is wearing a nice 150 years of HAL, anniversary pin on their uniforms – see pic of the captain and the separate pic of the 150-year pin. The officers’ formal uniform of short black tuxedo jacket, white tux shirt, black bow tie and black pants is gone, except for on the grand world voyage. The officers now wear a more modern suit jacket with a dark blue (or today, orange) necktie and matching dark pants. Rank insignia is on the cufflinks.

This ship – Nieuw Amsterdam – has a ballroom dance hour from 4-5 PM in the BB King’s Blues Club for those so inclined and/or have long held desires to be on Dancing with the Stars! Not sure if it’s only on sea days or every day but so far it has been on the program for both Thursday and Friday so stay tuned. Before I forget, magician Scott Pepper was performing his magic at 2:00 PM in the afternoon inside the Main Stage and, upon the conclusion of his act at 3:00 PM, they were showing the psychological horror film “Knock at the cabin” for those pax who wished to stay awake all night long in a cold sweat into the early morning hours! 🥸

The entertainment schedule for Thursday evening read comedian Lamont Ferguson at 7:00 and 9:00 PM in the Main Stage. The Third Avenue West trio in the Ocean Bar at 5:00 and 6:00 PM. The Billboard Onboard duo playing their dueling pianos at 7:45, 9:00 and 10:15 PM. The B.B. King’s All-Stars at 9:30 and 11:00 PM, followed by “Dancing to the hits” and a D.J. in the same place from 11:45 PM to the wee hours.

As on the other dam ships, there is no longer a Lincoln Center Stage classical group onboard however, rumor has I that HAL is negotiating with their (LSS) managerial group to come up with a new labor contract. Nieuw A also lost their Step One dance company about a week and a half ago during the trip up from Ft. Lauderdale however, a new Step One dance company is joining the ship in two days in Vancouver, BC.

Decided to once again have an easy low-key dinner in the Lido for the second night in a row and we both chose the pasta bar, having a very good Linguini. We followed that up by a low-key night inside the abode on Deck 7 and picked Kingsman: The Golden Circle, a 2017 spy action comedy film with Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Hale Berry, Jeff Bridges, Elton John, and others.

See ya manana for our 2nd sea day!

May be an image of text that says 'U bent van harte uitgenodigd voor een aperitief ter ere van Koningsdag. Fijne Koningsdag! Explorer's Lounge, Deck 2 Donderdag, 27 April, 16:30 uur 10 KONINGS DAG'

Translation Dutch to English: You are cordially invited for pre-dinner drinks in honor of King's day. Enjoy king's Day!

No photo description available.

May be an image of 1 person and text

May be an image of sail and text that says 'HOLLAND LAND AMERICA SAILING 150 LINE YEARS 1873 2023'

May be an image of text

Kingsman: The Golden Circle [Includes Digital Copy] [4K Ultra HD  Blu-ray/Blu-ray] [2017] - Best Buy

• Like 14

Good evening, John!  We decided we should try to get a reservation at the Bard and Banker for a Saturday, but unfortunately there was nothing available. They said there is some space usually available for walk-ins, are you willing to try that, or have you any other thoughts on where you would like to eat in Victoria?   There is a pub in Oak Bay, the Penny Farthing, we could try.  Its menu is not as extensive as the B and B, or we could call around to see what is available.  Was there something particular you wanted to try here?

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 2

Nice reports, cant wait to board Nieuw Amsterdam in Vancouver on May 7th for 14 day great Alaskan explorer.  Today I got a upgrade offer for $399ea to go from Verandah to Signature Suite. Heard the offers go quick so didn't even check if it was good deal called up HAL and got last SS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good evening, John!  We decided we should try to get a reservation at the Bard and Banker for a Saturday, but unfortunately there was nothing available. They said there is some space usually available for walk-ins, are you willing to try that, or have you any other thoughts on where you would like to eat in Victoria?   There is a pub in Oak Bay, the Penny Farthing, we could try.  Its menu is not as extensive as the B and B, or we could call around to see what is available.  Was there something particular you wanted to try here?

Evening Ann; just came out of the B.B. King's Blues Club with an outstanding band inside. Thanks for the info! I would like to leave it up to you and Pat. It's a Sat night so the city will no doubt be hopping, plus game 6 of the Oilers-Kings series and I know everyone will be rooting for the Kings to win! The pub in Oak Bay sounds good also, and/or whatever else you two think will work, McDonalds and Burger King included 🤣 Just happy to see y'all again after Koningsdam at New Years! No pressure, we're easy! Maria keeps talking about that Oh Gelato place on Government Street 😍

1 hour ago, Zagqwest said:

Nice reports, cant wait to board Nieuw Amsterdam in Vancouver on May 7th for 14 day great Alaskan explorer.  Today I got a upgrade offer for $399ea to go from Verandah to Signature Suite. Heard the offers go quick so didn't even check if it was good deal called up HAL and got last SS.

See ya in the Neptune Lounge where Aiko and Aley will take good care of you! 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Evening Ann; just came out of the B.B. King's Blues Club with an outstanding band inside. Thanks for the info! I would like to leave it up to you and Pat. It's a Sat night so the city will no doubt be hopping, plus game 6 of the Oilers-Kings series and I know everyone will be rooting for the Kings to win! The pub in Oak Bay sounds good also, and/or whatever else you two think will work, McDonalds and Burger King included 🤣 Just happy to see y'all again after Koningsdam at New Years! No pressure, we're easy! Maria keeps talking about that Oh Gelato place on Government Street 😍

Another good morning, John!  It should be a beautiful day in Victoria today, around 20 celsius!  Hope you see some orca, and Maria some tulips (by the thousands!)  Victoria seems to be choc-a-bloc full this weekend, the m.v. Coho has started up again, ferrying people from Port Angeles, WA., cruise ships abound, and I tried a number of places in town for reservations, with no luck.  I think we are better off thinking further afield, I'll attach a menu from a little bistro in our closest shopping centre, the Artisan Bistro, failing that there is Romeo's, or the Penny Farthing Pub in Oak Bay, which I couldn't find a reso for after 5 p.m, but perhaps might have more luck on the phone.   I won't offer to cook for you, I've forgotten how after a month away!  But we would like to bring you out here to our home and have a drink and then go on to dinner somewhere nearby.  How does that suit?

https://www.artisanbistro.ca/dinner/

PS  Tell Maria that the gelato in the gelato place at Butchart's is really good - it's in the Italian Garden.
Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Copper10-8 you have a beautiful day to arrive in Victoria.  Today promises to be another stunning day in Vancouver.  This old pasty guy managed to get a slight sunburn.  Sat out in the garden last night and enjoyed a nice warm outflow breeze which was amazing considering the snow still on the mountains.  Time to start packing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m not a garden person but the butchart gardens are so beautiful.  I never tire of the place.

Neither does my lovely wife 😉 She's into flowers and plants big time and Butchart's is one of her favorites. Still gotta get her to the "Keukenhof" in Lisse, Holland in April to see that flower wonderland. I'm really good and well-trained in holding her purse as she takes pics 🥸

Keukenhof 340.JPG

undefined

Tulips in the Keukenhof in Lisse, the Netherlands

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lobsternight said:

@Copper10-8 you have a beautiful day to arrive in Victoria.  Today promises to be another stunning day in Vancouver.  This old pasty guy managed to get a slight sunburn.  Sat out in the garden last night and enjoyed a nice warm outflow breeze which was amazing considering the snow still on the mountains.  Time to start packing

Awesome news, thanks! See ya onboard starting Sunday! Having a great time here so far

• Like 1