Random card charges from P&O after settling account

CeeDee22

Parents completed a cruise on Sat, paid up and their statement said ZERO outstanding onboard balance.

Since then they've been getting minor (£1 to £2) charges from P&O on their card per day.

Anyone know what this is or could be?

Cannot get through on phone or other methods. As usual companies make it tricky to contact. Tried to login to their 'Payment Balance' section and get a nice 'Error Occurred - 5500' message.

Just now, CeeDee22 said:

Parents completed a cruise on Sat, paid up and their statement said ZERO outstanding onboard balance.

Since then they've been getting minor (£1 to £2) charges from P&O on their card per day.

Anyone know what this is or could be?

Cannot get through on phone or other methods. As usual companies make it tricky to contact. Tried to login to their 'Payment Balance' section and get a nice 'Error Occurred - 5500' message.

This sounds like a common occurrence where the cruise line have placed holds on the card prior to taking the amount spent (£0 in your case) These charges usually drop off and are more common when a debit card has been used as opposed to a credit card, also different banks seem to deal with them differently.

• Like 1

I've just rang parents, some of them are charges, some are adding back in it seems. Not sure what's going on with that but I imagine as posted above it's nothing to be concerned about

• 2 months later...

I came off a cruise last Saturday (6 days ago) and this morning I checked my bank account and saw that, apart from the on board spending I was aware of, there are 4 transactions for over £150 pending on my debit card. We purchased speciality dining on our second day out of seven (already accounted for), and apart from that it was just drinks and ice cream. There's no way us two adults could spend £68 and £69 in single transactions unless we purchased ten cocktails in one order (and no, we didn't.). I've emailed P&O and I'll be checking daily to see if the pending transactions fall away, or if I actually get charged for something I didn't buy.  This doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence for my upcoming cruise with them.

• Like 1

This happened to us on our last P&O cruise on oceana back in 2019. They took £1.50 out for a bottle of water from the mini fridge the day we left. Never take anything out of the mini fridge. Did wonder if cabin steward had the drink and put it down to us. They did send us a cheque for £1.50 but I remember I didn't cash it in as I couldn't be bothered to take it into the bank for that small amount. Only challenged it because I knew we hadn't drunk it.

1 hour ago, jambalian said:

I came off a cruise last Saturday (6 days ago) and this morning I checked my bank account and saw that, apart from the on board spending I was aware of, there are 4 transactions for over £150 pending on my debit card. We purchased speciality dining on our second day out of seven (already accounted for), and apart from that it was just drinks and ice cream. There's no way us two adults could spend £68 and £69 in single transactions unless we purchased ten cocktails in one order (and no, we didn't.). I've emailed P&O and I'll be checking daily to see if the pending transactions fall away, or if I actually get charged for something I didn't buy.  This doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence for my upcoming cruise with them.

See my response to your other post about this subject. That is why you are better to register a credit card rather than debit card.

• Like 1