Live from Nieuw Amsterdam 14-Day Alaska Explorer

Crew News

33 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Over the years HAL has slowly moved the dining times, as well as the entertainment start/end times---earlier and earlier. Several years ago the fixed dining times were 6:00 and 8:15 PM. Then, HAL moved to four fixed dining times, moving the later times to 8:00 and 8:30 (I don't recall the early times, but they were moved, too. 
Then there were two fixed times again, when open seating started, and things started moving to earlier and earlier. On my last cruise early dinner was at either 5:00 or 5:15; I don't recall precisely.

Show times were moved from 8:00 & 10:00 to 7:00 and 9:00. Lounge entertainment moved from starting at 9:00 or 10:00, depending on the lounge, to 8:00, and then incrementally even earlier. Some lounges that closed at 11:00 are now finished by 9:00, or even earlier. 

It's as if HAL wants everyone to go to bed early, and is pushing the issue by shutting everything down, turning off the lights (figuratively), and planning bed checks next. 

Maybe they are reacting to all the old folks on their cruises who historically do things earlier...including going to bed earlier! I know we do, but our typical dining time at home is 6pm, and bed around 10pm. Twenty years ago you could subtract about  2 hours from our times.

Ha, yeah, bed checks might be next! <g> But come on HAL, 5PM is too early for even us old farts! The chat I had said dinner was 545p, but that would be far from the first time I've gotten incorrect information with any cruise line's customer service.

Doug

Just now, 1ANGELCAT said:

HAL does not sail from NOLA. What ship is this?

I know, I know. Remembered right after I pressed ENTER to post. We have three cruises scheduled in the next 18 months. Two of them are from NOLA, the third is our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise from Port Everglades. 😊

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

For our Caribbean cruise from NOLA in October, I hope you are correct about a later dining time than 5pm.

I’m the one that said it was 5 or 5:15.  I was told it was 5:45. I assume you aren’t talking about a hal ship leaving from Nola. Can’t speak about other lines.

12 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m the one that said it was 5 or 5:15.  I was told it was 5:45. I assume you aren’t talking about a hal ship leaving from Nola. Can’t speak about other lines.

Yep, my mistake my other two cruises scheduled are from NOLA, but the HAL one is from Port Everglades in October.

I was told 545pm/1745 also by HAL customer service for our October Brilliance ot Seas cruise. Who knows? That cruise is about 18 months from now......Maybe it will be that time? Either that or at 430pm!😉

Doug