Live from Nieuw Amsterdam 14-Day Alaska Explorer

Crew News

Chef Andy Matsuda's dinner and alcohol pairing was a real treat.  I've never paid $89 pp for a meal before, but love Japanese food too much to not indulge.  I didn't want to be rude and photograph each course, but many of us couldn't resist when dessert arrived.

20230521_174848.jpg

20230520_200936_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Chef Andy Matsuda's dinner and alcohol pairing was a real treat.  I've never paid $89 pp for a meal before, but love Japanese food too much to not indulge.  I didn't want to be rude and photograph each course, but many of us couldn't resist when dessert arrived.

20230521_174848.jpg

20230520_200936_HDR.jpg

I would absolutely love to do this and not take a second thought of the price. Unfortunately I would be doing it along lol DH would say he is going to the Lido to eat 😉

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I would absolutely love to do this and not take a second thought of the price. Unfortunately I would be doing it along lol DH would say he is going to the Lido to eat 😉

Same boat except MDR, my wife doen't like seafood.

15 hours ago, redbanshee said:

Curious if you received an invitation to the Mariner recognition. We r 4 star and did not get an invite just tiles in our room with a thanks for cruising with us note. I had mentioned to my hubby that I was surprised they didn’t have one as we always attend. Guess I should have asked 😮

Cruise Director said only 5 Star Mariners and medal recipients in her opening remarks.  The room was pretty full.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

Cruise Director said only 5 Star Mariners and medal recipients in her opening remarks.  The room was pretty full.

That makes sense …I feel that there were definitely a lot of Stars ️ and  ️ on board! It was an amazing trip for us just the same and look forward to our next.  We put down our future cruise credit. Can’t book yet because we still work and I have elderly parents so timing is key!

Crews News thank you again for sharing throughout! I hope to see more of your blogs for your future adventures!

Cheers!

Good heavens!  That pic certainly shows what it was like!  I'm kinda glad I ended up cancelling this cruise between the rough seas and the noro.  I hope you had a really good time, in spite of the itinerary changes, the seas and the noro!  I really hope you got some brotchen, too!

2 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Good heavens!  That pic certainly shows what it was like!  I'm kinda glad I ended up cancelling this cruise between the rough seas and the noro.  I hope you had a really good time, in spite of the itinerary changes, the seas and the noro!  I really hope you got some brotchen, too!

I was in a typhoon in Alaska a number of years ago with winds16 knots stronger but the ship rolled from side to side.  This experience was a constant leaning. These two events give a new sense of rough seas.  I always thought of rock and roll so now I can add "lean" to a ship's reaction to bad weather.

The ship HAZMAT folks were active in the rooms nearby.

No brotchen and also no lavosh in the PG. 

Hope to give a closing report soon and more pictures over the coming days now that my internet speed is 50X faster than the ship's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cruise summary and score, I'll give it a 7/10.

Positives:

The crew provided the excellent service we've come to expect from HAL, and handled the norovirus outbreak with efficiency.  I noticed no language barrier as mentioned by passengers from other ships.  We especially enjoyed the bar staff at the BB King Club at night, as well as the passenger regulars.  The band was full of energy, talent, and worked as a harmonious unit.

We came in with low expectations for the food and were pleasantly surprised.  I noticed no cutbacks to the MDR breakfast, the Dive-In, or the Lido Buffet, all three of which I find superior to other mass market lines such as Celebrity.  We really enjoyed Tamarind, both the regular menu and the Chef's dinner.  The MDR dinner's seemed to cut off a few options, with more pasta choices, but the quality is still there.  The only food I didn't like was the pizza in back of Lido.

The itinerary.  Valdez was an absolute highlight, breathtaking even from the ship and in town.  It is my favorite port to date!  Sitka, Prince Rupert, and Victoria all had their own charm and I would love to visit again.  A few nights pre-cruise in downtown Victoria would be tempting. 

Neutral:

This is completely subjective for everyone, but we believe the perfect cruise length for us is about 11 nights.  Seven nights is too short, fourteen nights and the shine starts to fade, but something in the middle is an ideal length.  We still enjoyed the ports and many aspects of the cruise towards the end, so the last few days were still a net positive, but I'm not about to book a 21 night cruise anytime soon.

There's certainly more mobility impaired people on a 14 night HAL cruise over a 7 night.  For the most part this didn't affect us on the ship, but it could become tedious after awhile, mainly embarking and disembarking the ship.  I also see it from other side, and no one should ever stop enjoying life, we'll all be there someday!

Negative:

HAL dropped Skagway 1 day after final payment.  Those who booked with the 150th Anniversary sale were originally denied compensation for their free White Pass Rail excursion.  Later they were compensated with OBC.  The loss of Skagway was a big blow to anyone doing a one and done Alaska cruise, especially for those traveling in from abroad.

We missed Kodiak island due to weather, and experienced noticeable listing to port (maybe 15-20 degrees?) for hours.  Depending on the location of your cabin, everything may have rolled off your desk and counter, even producing broken glass.  OV cabins port side were allegedly dunking underwater.

Norovirus outbreak affecting at least 11% of passengers, over 4% of crew.  This is all on the passengers for not washing their hands after using the bathroom, not keeping their hands clean before eating, and going out sick.  I personally heard 2 people admit that they were sick with it and were walking around on the ship.  There was also a cold spreading.

Conclusion:

Overall we still enjoyed this cruise, and most of the negatives weren't HAL's fault, so we booked our next 14 night cruise at the future cruise desk. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

My first use of the HAL shuttle bus to the Vancouver airport went much better than I expected.  Departure time for my blue-2 luggage tags was 8:15 AM which meant an early breakfast in the Lido Market and then waiting in the BB King until called.  The disembarkation began with being called at 8:25 AM, proceeding to the luggage room of the terminal for my luggage, following the signs for the pre-paid buses (keep to the right), and queuing for the bus loading.  In the entire process, nobody checked my name as a pre-paid customer, looked at my passport, or asked to see my blue-2 luggage tag.

With some skepticism, I added my luggage and roller bag to the row of bags being loaded under the bus.  As much as I wanted to see my bags loaded under the bus, I boarded anyway.  The bus was not full but we departed for the airport bus holding lot to wait until called to the bus unloading area in front of the terminal.  After a brief pause, the bus was called to the special bus unloading location and passengers were told to remain seated until all luggage was unloaded from the bus.  The unloading area had lots of porters for those needing help. Before leaving the bus, I noted the time was 10:03.

Conclusion:  The experience was pleasant, efficient, comfortable, and no long wait for a taxi just to arrive at the airport at the same time.  The designated bus unloading lane was a plus.  All of my future transportation from the cruise terminal to the Vancouver airport will be via HAL bus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/24/2023 at 3:35 PM, Crew News said:

My first use of the HAL shuttle bus to the Vancouver airport went much better than I expected.  Departure time for my blue-2 luggage tags was 8:15 AM which meant an early breakfast in the Lido Market and then waiting in the BB King until called.  The disembarkation began with being called at 8:25 AM, proceeding to the luggage room of the terminal for my luggage, following the signs for the pre-paid buses (keep to the right), and queuing for the bus loading.  In the entire process, nobody checked my name as a pre-paid customer, looked at my passport, or asked to see my blue-2 luggage tag.

With some skepticism, I added my luggage and roller bag to the row of bags being loaded under the bus.  As much as I wanted to see my bags loaded under the bus, I boarded anyway.  The bus was not full but we departed for the airport bus holding lot to wait until called to the bus unloading area in front of the terminal.  After a brief pause, the bus was called to the special bus unloading location and passengers were told to remain seated until all luggage was unloaded from the bus.  The unloading area had lots of porters for those needing help. Before leaving the bus, I noted the time was 10:03.

Conclusion:  The experience was pleasant, efficient, comfortable, and no long wait for a taxi just to arrive at the airport at the same time.  The designated bus unloading lane was a plus.  All of my future transportation from the cruise terminal to the Vancouver airport will be via HAL bus.

Would there be a time problem getting to the bus if one needed a porter from the luggage room? Last time in Vancouver we had to wait about 45 min. for a porter and had to sign up for that after we found our luggage.

29 minutes ago, PSR said:

Would there be a time problem getting to the bus if one needed a porter from the luggage room? Last time in Vancouver we had to wait about 45 min. for a porter and had to sign up for that after we found our luggage.

There were porters wandering around the terminal offering their services.  The bus passengers were the next three groups being called after the self-disembarking passengers.  The first first bus group called were all going on a city tour before going to the airport.  The porters were committed to them and the next two bus groups.

• Thanks 1

From yours and other postings, I am envious of the blue-sky weather you had in May.  Hope it will be as nice in August when I am on the Eurodam. Have cruised Alaska every summer month but August so we shall see. Thanks for all the information you provide.

On 5/10/2023 at 12:48 AM, Crew News said:

....I was dismayed at my MDR Early Dining time being 5:00 PM, just a few hours from my Lido Market lunch. .....

Yipes! Was it 1700/5pm the other nights also? We eat early, but that's early for even us.

A month or so ago I did a chat at hollandamerican.com and was told the early fixed/traditional seating was 1745/545pm (N Amsterdam October 2023). That time would be great for us. If we have to eat at your earlier time, we'll be having cocktails only minutes after arising from our afternoon naps!😳

Doug

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Yipes! Was it 1700/5pm the other nights also? We eat early, but that's early for even us.

A month or so ago I did a chat at hollandamerican.com and was told the early fixed/traditional seating was 1745/545pm (N Amsterdam October 2023). That time would be great for us. If we have to eat at your earlier time, we'll be having cocktails only minutes after arising from our afternoon naps!😳

Doug

Yes.  5:00 PM each evening,  I tried it once and then ate elsewhere each evening.  The Lido served the same items with more options. 

I was surprised because Alaska dining was always 5:30-5:45 PM. 

19 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Yes.  5:00 PM each evening,  I tried it once and then ate elsewhere each evening.  The Lido served the same items with more options. 

I was surprised because Alaska dining was always 5:30-5:45 PM. 

I know I've mentioned this a couple times and people doubted me or told me I was wrong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Over the years HAL has slowly moved the dining times, as well as the entertainment start/end times---earlier and earlier. Several years ago the fixed dining times were 6:00 and 8:15 PM. Then, HAL moved to four fixed dining times, moving the later times to 8:00 and 8:30 (I don't recall the early times, but they were moved, too. 
Then there were two fixed times again, when open seating started, and things started moving to earlier and earlier. On my last cruise early dinner was at either 5:00 or 5:15; I don't recall precisely.

Show times were moved from 8:00 & 10:00 to 7:00 and 9:00. Lounge entertainment moved from starting at 9:00 or 10:00, depending on the lounge, to 8:00, and then incrementally even earlier. Some lounges that closed at 11:00 are now finished by 9:00, or even earlier. 

It's as if HAL wants everyone to go to bed early, and is pushing the issue by shutting everything down, turning off the lights (figuratively), and planning bed checks next. 

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I know I've mentioned this a couple times and people doubted me or told me I was wrong.

For our Caribbean cruise from NOLA in October, I hope you are correct about a later dining time than 5pm.