Ciampino (Rome) Airport Hotel (pre cruise)

*twinkle*

Hi there.

We are arriving into Ciampino Airport fairly late, so had decided to get a hotel nearby and then shared/private shuttle to Civitavecchia in the morning.

Unfortunately, all the nearby hotels look a bit sad/dated (Ibis Styles Vintage is best of bunch, but it's a bit hmmm).  Has anyone got any recommendations or advice?  Not keen to go into Rome as it will be a bit of a waste just for sleeping (and we've been numerous times).  Trying to keep taxi costs to a minimum, as I know Rome cabbies have a bit of a reputation for overcharging.  

Are there any decent hotels with a shuttle bus service from Ciampino Airport (not Fiumicino)?  I've been looking and haven't found any yet!

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There are fixed taxi rates from Ciampino (just as there are from FCO) into central Rome, so no real risk of being overcharged if that is your main objection.

Unfortunately not always true.   Just pre covid we had a late Saturday night arrival into Ciampino.......then it started to rain!  Taxi drivers just upped the price.  If you wanted the fixed rate you had to wait until the were no customers prepared to pay the increased price demanded.

Also I have found that the taxi supply at CIA is much smaller and slower to refill than at FCO, due probably to the fewer aircraft movements.

9 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Unfortunately not always true.   Just pre covid we had a late Saturday night arrival into Ciampino.......then it started to rain!  Taxi drivers just upped the price.  If you wanted the fixed rate you had to wait until the were no customers prepared to pay the increased price demanded.

Also I have found that the taxi supply at CIA is much smaller and slower to refill than at FCO, due probably to the fewer aircraft movements.

Did you quote the fixed tariff?  If they refused, I would've spoken with the dispatcher.

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Did you quote the fixed tariff?  If they refused, I would've spoken with the dispatcher.

It was after 11pm and the last flights had all arrived.  There was no despatcher.  It was a drivers market, pay what they wanted or take your chances on another taxi arriving.  Also there was no shelter from rain.