FYI - $250 cruisefirst

dbrown84

7 minutes ago, carohs said:

Hi me again. Asking because I have an existing reservation and final payment is due soon. How would I know if my existing reservation qualifies for the double up promotion?

As far as I know, you can use 2 on any cruise that meets the current criteria - which at the moment is anything before final payment (4 months).  But the balcony/any category stipulation changes frequently.

@julig22 I wanted to say thanks again for helping me last night. I was able to show my TA how to purchase a firstcruise and then immediately apply it to my booking. I would have saved a few $$ buy purchasing next cruise from social media, but this was a very convenient way to save $250.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has anybody recently cancelled a booking that had a CN applied either as deposit or additional payment?  Since the double up promo appears to again be working for insides, I decided to liberate two CNs that I had used as deposit on a 2025 cruise (I can just rebook it at same price/promos and pay cash for deposit).  I need the two CNs back to share with DD for a cruise later this year.  The agent confirmed that the CNs would just return to my account.  They didn't show up immediately, so I'm curious how long this has taken for others.  I know that credit card refunds take about a week, but am hoping the CNs are "refunded" faster.  Thanks.

26 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Has anybody recently cancelled a booking that had a CN applied either as deposit or additional payment?  Since the double up promo appears to again be working for insides, I decided to liberate two CNs that I had used as deposit on a 2025 cruise (I can just rebook it at same price/promos and pay cash for deposit).  I need the two CNs back to share with DD for a cruise later this year.  The agent confirmed that the CNs would just return to my account.  They didn't show up immediately, so I'm curious how long this has taken for others.  I know that credit card refunds take about a week, but am hoping the CNs are "refunded" faster.  Thanks.

Haven't done it recently but it took a couple of days at that time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I’ve done it several times.  Often times it shows up the same day, but I think the longest it’s ever taken was 3-4 days.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, carohs said:

I was able to buy 2 CNC resale, get them transferred to my account, and applied both to my reservation all within 24 hrs. Thanks y'all!! 

Can you please share the process you used for the actual transfer? Did you send PayPal and then the original owner send the email request? Or did you use the 3 way call method? I’m sure I’ll be purchasing used at some point because it is a better “deal” financially than firstcruise. But, first cruise was super easy and didn’t involve any extra steps outside my TA. 

14 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Can you please share the process you used for the actual transfer? Did you send PayPal and then the original owner send the email request? Or did you use the 3 way call method? I’m sure I’ll be purchasing used at some point because it is a better “deal” financially than firstcruise. But, first cruise was super easy and didn’t involve any extra steps outside my TA. 

I took a leap of faith and sent the cash via Venmo. She sent the email to NCL cruise next a few minutes later with both our latitude #s, names, email, certificate #s to be transferred, etc, cc'ing me. We received confirmation before I woke up this morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I've bought resale before CF was available, but now I buy CF instead.  Question, why do you think buying used is a better financial deal than buying CF from NCL?  You're going to pay between $150 and $200 retail, meaning you'd save as little as $50 on your cruise.  Even if you found someone selling at cost ($125), you'd still be saving $150 on your booking, whereas CF will save you $150 (or $250 if you buy during the $250/$500 promo). 

On 5/12/2023 at 1:31 PM, dbrown84 said:

It does.  I meant after adding the DSC, I still have to make up the difference by buying $50 of OBC

I know this post was specifically referring to CF and @dbrown84 mentioned purchasing OBC to eat up the remainder of the $500 left after paying Port Taxes, Fees & the DSC.... Does anyone have experience also doing this with CN certs? I currently have two certs which would cover the above with about $150 left. When I asked my CAS PCC if I could purchase excursions with her to use the rest she said no. I didn't even think about OBC which would at that point be the "refundable" type I'm assuming. If anyone has used CN to purchase OBC your info would be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, 603NHCruiser said:

I know this post was specifically referring to CF and @dbrown84 mentioned purchasing OBC to eat up the remainder of the $500 left after paying Port Taxes, Fees & the DSC.... Does anyone have experience also doing this with CN certs? I currently have two certs which would cover the above with about $150 left. When I asked my CAS PCC if I could purchase excursions with her to use the rest she said no. I didn't even think about OBC which would at that point be the "refundable" type I'm assuming. If anyone has used CN to purchase OBC your info would be greatly appreciated. 

actually, I've yet to do it with a CF.  I am on my next booking, which I haven't booked yet (just priced it out).  I have done it with CN in the past.  Yes, the OBC will be the refundable type.  this was before Covid with I did this.  With all the changes lately, I surely hope this is still allowed.  I don't know why it wouldn't, but you never know with NCL and the changes lately.  I'm not surprised that she said no the excursions though, since they can't  be charged to your account before sailing.  You pay for those via CC if it's before boarding.  Other things to consider if it's a no on the OBC are blackjack/slot tournaments, NCL transportation to/from port/airport  Alcohol or soda package, Starbucks package, extra dining.... good luck

• Like 1

Alas, I am LITERALLY a day late on this... (no surprise there...)  How often do they run these specials?  The cruise I am looking at is over 2 years away, so I feel like I have a little wiggle room...

2 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

I  Question, why do you think buying used is a better financial deal than buying CF from NCL?  \ 

On the resale social media sites, there are often 'deals' where people sell them for less than paid. Example, someone sold a $500 CruiseFirst for $200 instead of the $250 you'd pay nCL. This is often when they have found themselves close to expiration. Better to get some money then let them expire. 

Same with next cruise. You typically pay $125 for $250 next cruise cert, but often you can purchase the same cert on resale sites for $100 (vs $125). Sometimes there are great deals. I  saw someone selling 4 nextcruise certificates worth $1,000 for a grand total of $100 ($25 each) because they were going to expire in a month and the person had a last minute change of plans and couldn't cruise.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

actually, I've yet to do it with a CF.  I am on my next booking, which I haven't booked yet (just priced it out).  I have done it with CN in the past.  Yes, the OBC will be the refundable type.  this was before Covid with I did this.  With all the changes lately, I surely hope this is still allowed.  I don't know why it wouldn't, but you never know with NCL and the changes lately.  I'm not surprised that she said no the excursions though, since they can't  be charged to your account before sailing.  You pay for those via CC if it's before boarding.  Other things to consider if it's a no on the OBC are blackjack/slot tournaments, NCL transportation to/from port/airport  Alcohol or soda package, Starbucks package, extra dining.... good luck

Awesome. good to know that your experience was with CN. and completly makes sense about the excursions. hopefully it will work im going to be using them on an already booked room that I simply put $50 down on, so fingers crossed I can apply them. I have always been able to in the passed, but as your said so many changes LOL

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

On the resale social media sites, there are often 'deals' where people sell them for less than paid. Example, someone sold a $500 CruiseFirst for $200 instead of the $250 you'd pay nCL. This is often when they have found themselves close to expiration. Better to get some money then let them expire. 

Same with next cruise. You typically pay $125 for $250 next cruise cert, but often you can purchase the same cert on resale sites for $100 (vs $125). Sometimes there are great deals. I  saw someone selling 4 nextcruise certificates worth $1,000 for a grand total of $100 ($25 each) because they were going to expire in a month and the person had a last minute change of plans and couldn't cruise.

ahhh, thanks.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zhoen said:

Alas, I am LITERALLY a day late on this... (no surprise there...)  How often do they run these specials?  The cruise I am looking at is over 2 years away, so I feel like I have a little wiggle room...

You will generally see them run during most holidays, the fact that they already have a memorial day sale up now and also did the 250/500 could mean that they are going to run it again on the 29th. You never know!

10 minutes ago, Zhoen said:

the problem you may run into with the cruise first is that they are supposed to only be for new reservations.  It's true that people (myself included) have been able to apply cruise next certs after booking, but I'm not sure if I seen anyone here on CC that has definitively said they applied a cruise first after booking.  And they have the rule that if you cancel and rebook the same cruise, you'd lose the extra value of the cruise first.  But again, no one knows for sure if this applied to canceling and rebooking before applying the CF, or it it's only after booking with a CF. 

1 minute ago, dbrown84 said:

the problem you may run into with the cruise first is that they are supposed to only be for new reservations.  It's true that people (myself included) have been able to apply cruise next certs after booking, but I'm not sure if I seen anyone here on CC that has definitively said they applied a cruise first after booking.  And they have the rule that if you cancel and rebook the same cruise, you'd lose the extra value of the cruise first.  But again, no one knows for sure if this applied to canceling and rebooking before applying the CF, or it it's only after booking with a CF. 

No worries, I'm not pulling the trigger until I have all the information. This will be my first cruise ever and I'm still in the "read everything" phase." 🙂  

16 minutes ago, Zhoen said:

No worries, I'm not pulling the trigger until I have all the information. This will be my first cruise ever and I'm still in the "read everything" phase." 🙂  

That's the best phase! NCL has a really great onboard experience, despite not serving alcohol to some cruisers in Europe (there's a giant thread, not going to devolve this thread haha). I really do love cruising NCL - all four of my five cruises have been on Norwegian.

But, do exactly what you're doing! Read absolutely everything. Ask all the questions. NCL is a slimy corporation that obfuscates some details. Unlike most terms and conditions, be sure to read every single one of NCL's. You'll have a great time and not be upset/disappointed. 

I hope you come back to tell us all about your wonderful cruise, whenever you actually go! 

2 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

t  And they have the rule that if you cancel and rebook the same cruise, you'd lose the extra value of the cruise first.  

I haven’t been following the Emergence of cruisefirst certs, and this is purely my twisted mind being speculative…. But…..

I understand why you lose the extra bonus value of the cruisefirst when rebooking the same cruise (to take advantage of a fare reduction). Fair enough.. I get it. Makes sense. 

What if you cancelled the cruise and had the first cruise (call it CF number 123) reinstated to your account. 

Then … purchased another  first cruise (number 456), rebooked the same cruise at the lower price, and applied the second cruisefirst (#456) to the booking?? 

You’d still have almost three years to use cruisefirst number 123 for full value.

Just thinking outside the box. Of course, my DH accuses me coloring outside the lines on a daily basis  🙂 

Anyway, just thinking out loud. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I haven’t been following the Emergence of cruisefirst certs, and this is purely my twisted mind being speculative…. But…..

I understand why you lose the extra bonus value of the cruisefirst when rebooking the same cruise (to take advantage of a fare reduction). Fair enough.. I get it. Makes sense. 

What if you cancelled the cruise and had the first cruise (call it CF number 123) reinstated to your account. 

Then … purchased another  first cruise (number 456), rebooked the same cruise at the lower price, and applied the second cruisefirst (#456) to the booking?? 

You’d still have almost three years to use cruisefirst number 123 for full value.

Just thinking outside the box. Of course, my DH accuses me coloring outside the lines on a daily basis  🙂 

I like the way you think :)

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is one of the main reasons some of us strongly prefer CN vs. CF.  The terms as written are more flexible and, as executed, very flexible.