a new adventure for us

luckybecky

Just booked a last minute cruise -- a first for us. Normally I am a big planner -- trips booked and every move planned far in advance. But we got an unbeatable deal from Carnival that we couldn't pass up. Just booked a 6 day Caribbean cruise on the Dream for basically free, except for port fees, taxes and gratuities. We leave in less than 48 hours. 

I have never booked a spur of the moment cruise before. Already learned one lesson: pay attention! I thought we were getting a standard inside cabin. No, we booked an upper/lower. LOL We are in our early 60s and thought we were past our bunk bed days, but apparently not. Shall we toss a coin to see who has to climb in and out of the upper bunk during our frequent nighttime potty trips? 😅

This will be the lowest category we have ever booked -- indeed, the lowest category on the ship. So that should be interesting. Normally I insist on a balcony. Does anyone know when our cabin number will be assigned? We are only a day and half from cruising, but I haven't printed luggage tags yet because they don't have a room number. We also cannot get dining time assigned.

I'll post a review to let y'all know how it goes, but meanwhile wondering if anyone has any comments about this kind of last minute travel. How did it go? Did you like your cabin? Was it worth it? 

• Like 1

36 years ago my mother in law booked my husband and I on a 4 day honeymoon cruise. Guess what? Bunk beds LOL

We took the mattresses, put them on the floor and slept well.

Can't say at 60, which we now are, I could still do it, but for the right price anything is possible. Enjoy your cruise and hope for the best. You may just get the cabin of your dreams.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, luckybecky said:

Just booked a last minute cruise -- a first for us. Normally I am a big planner -- trips booked and every move planned far in advance. But we got an unbeatable deal from Carnival that we couldn't pass up. Just booked a 6 day Caribbean cruise on the Dream for basically free, except for port fees, taxes and gratuities. We leave in less than 48 hours. 

I have never booked a spur of the moment cruise before. Already learned one lesson: pay attention! I thought we were getting a standard inside cabin. No, we booked an upper/lower. LOL We are in our early 60s and thought we were past our bunk bed days, but apparently not. Shall we toss a coin to see who has to climb in and out of the upper bunk during our frequent nighttime potty trips? 😅

This will be the lowest category we have ever booked -- indeed, the lowest category on the ship. So that should be interesting. Normally I insist on a balcony. Does anyone know when our cabin number will be assigned? We are only a day and half from cruising, but I haven't printed luggage tags yet because they don't have a room number. We also cannot get dining time assigned.

I'll post a review to let y'all know how it goes, but meanwhile wondering if anyone has any comments about this kind of last minute travel. How did it go? Did you like your cabin? Was it worth it? 

You may not have the cabin assigned until  you arrive at port, this happened to us once, and we booked further out then you have.  Best case check right before you leave to go and see if you have a room (you will need to check your booking, they will NOT email you). 

Sounds like an adventrue to be telling stories about for a long time.

A

• Like 1

back in 2013, my former "friend" decided to book us on a cruise that was leaving the next day. This was the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore. all went well, but we did have to go into the private security room for... special... screening. that's about all I remember from that trip, though. Good luck!

• Like 1

Well good news! I just logged in to Carnival and have a room assigned. And it's not bunk beds! 🙂 We were upgraded from a 1A cabin to a 4E on deck 7. I'm happy with the location, and definitely happy that neither of us will be having to climb into an upper bunk -- was seriously considering Sillyjilly's solution of putting the mattress on the floor. 

We also got Your Time dining, which had been showing as wait listed. So all is falling into place. I was even able to get a steakhouse reservation for Mother's Day -- it's early, but still, we got in. 

Our first time on the Dream... looking forward to it. I'll do a review after we get back next week. 

Edited by luckybecky
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, luckybecky said:

Well good news! I just logged in to Carnival and have a room assigned. And it's not bunk beds! 🙂 We were upgraded from a 1A cabin to a 4E on deck 7. I'm happy with the location, and definitely happy that neither of us will be having to climb into an upper bunk -- was seriously considering Sillyjilly's solution of putting the mattress on the floor. 

We also got Your Time dining, which had been showing as wait listed. So all is falling into place. I was even able to get a steakhouse reservation for Mother's Day -- it's early, but still, we got in. 

Our first time on the Dream... looking forward to it. I'll do a review after we get back next week. 

Awesome!  Have a great time!!!  (We leave on the Miracle to Alaska in 16 days!)

Good for you!

A few months ago, I had a free 7 day visiting St Thomas, St Marten and other ports I can’t recall.   There was only a 1A left.  

I was too afraid to be stuck with it so I didn’t book it.  There was no way either of us was going to sleep up there in the top bunk.   I didn’t know that an upgrade was even possible.  Had I known that, I may have chanced it.