Another Dumb passport question.....

Hey everyone! We'll be sailing on the conquest this July, it was sort of a last minute trip that's revolving around a couple other things that happened to be going in in Florida. The cruise just goes to Bimini and back My SO does have a passport , I used top have one and it's expired (and I don't know where it is currently). Regardless I probably wouldn't be able to get another in 2 months anyway.

But! I do have an enhanced DL from MI. a quick googling says it's valid for return from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Carribean....So not sure where Bahamas/Bimini falls into that . Heck our last cruise 2 years ago they didn't even check as we went through customs. I'm sure they're back to it now, but I do have a valid ID and I have a birth cert. somewhere around here.

2 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

Your enhanced ID only works for air or land travel to those places. (For the ones you can of course go to by land) You just need the ID and your birth certificate for embark and debark for the cruise.

You have it wrong. The enhanced Driver's License is good for land or sea entry but not air. See:

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they#:~:text=Enhanced Drivers Licenses (EDLs) are,technology that makes travel easier.

OP make sure it's an Enhanced Driver's License, not just a RealID. People have gotten them confused at times.

You can get a passport renewed quickly with the urgent process. It's a bit of a pain as you can only get an appointment when travel is within 14 days and you  have to go to a passport office in person (or pay an expediter to do it for you $$). I just did this and it took most of the day (appointment in the morning and passport pickup in the afternoon). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

You have it wrong. The enhanced Driver's License is good for land or sea entry but not air. See:

https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they#:~:text=Enhanced Drivers Licenses (EDLs) are,technology that makes travel easier.

OP make sure it's an Enhanced Driver's License, not just a RealID. People have gotten them confused at times.

You can get a passport renewed quickly with the urgent process. It's a bit of a pain as you can only get an appointment when travel is within 14 days and you  have to go to a passport office in person (or pay an expediter to do it for you $$). I just did this and it took most of the day (appointment in the morning and passport pickup in the afternoon). 

👍🏾 

• Like 1

Just playing around with ChatGPT, I asked this question "I'm from Michigan and have an Enhanced Drivers License. Can I board a cruise ship in Miami, sail to the Bahamas and return to Miami with just this drivers license as my ID and proof of US Citizenship?"

The answer provided by AI was

"

As an AI language model, I can provide you with some general information, but it's always best to consult with the cruise line or relevant authorities for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding identification requirements. However, I can offer some guidance based on what I know up until my knowledge cutoff in September 2021.

An Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) is a driver's license that is issued by certain U.S. states, including Michigan, and can be used for border crossings by land or sea between the United States and Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean countries. While an EDL can serve as proof of identity and U.S. citizenship in certain situations, its acceptability for international travel, particularly for boarding a cruise ship, may depend on the specific requirements of the cruise line and the destinations you plan to visit.

Typically, when traveling by sea to the Bahamas, a valid U.S. passport is the preferred and most widely accepted form of identification. However, some cruise lines may accept alternative documents, such as an EDL, as a substitute for a passport. To determine if your EDL is sufficient for your specific cruise, it's important to check with the cruise line directly or consult their website for their identification requirements.

Additionally, it's worth noting that identification requirements can vary based on factors such as the length of the cruise, the specific ports of call, and the cruise line's policies. Some cruises, especially those that do not leave U.S. waters, may have more relaxed identification requirements compared to international cruises. Therefore, it is crucial to verify the requirements for your particular cruise itinerary.

To ensure a smooth and hassle-free journey, I recommend contacting the cruise line directly or visiting their official website to obtain accurate and up-to-date information on the accepted forms of identification for your specific cruise itinerary."

Regenerate response

If your license says "enhanced" and has a US flag then you may cruise on a closed loop cruise with that, provided your cruise line doesn't require something more. If it doesn't have those two features then what you have is a REAL ID compliant license and you would need your birth certificate in addition to board a closed loop cruise. Two months is sufficient time to renew a passport, but I don't think that I would unless other travel plans required it (and I do have an EDL issued by Vermont which I have used for cruising and land border crossings). 

16 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If your license says "enhanced" and has a US flag then you may cruise on a closed loop cruise with that, provided your cruise line doesn't require something more. If it doesn't have those two features then what you have is a REAL ID compliant license and you would need your birth certificate in addition to board a closed loop cruise. Two months is sufficient time to renew a passport, but I don't think that I would unless other travel plans required it (and I do have an EDL issued by Vermont which I have used for cruising and land border crossings). 

thanks. yeah mine is an EDL and does have the flag. Come to think of it I used it 2 summers ago when we did a trip to Nassau and back ...So I should be good but may bring the BC anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, splash_in_the_water said:

finally just got home tonight from this strange cruise. No birth cert needed for me. Also I know they ask you to bring your ship card and an ID but i was just fine with my ID.

Thanks for the update!