Should I take the Free Air promo

seapad

Will be on the Prima in March. Wants to take the Free 2nd person Air. Its really economical, plus the deal includes round trip transfer. Flying from Seattle to Galveston cruise the day of! 

If I do the air deviation arriving a day earlier, the cost of hotel and transfers are quite steep, out of the budget. Just want to hear from folks what's your experience with their air arrangement itinerary? Is it fairly reliable? 

Thanks so much! 

We are on the 3/1 sailing of Prima from Galveston and did an air deviation the day prior (they took one-way of transfers off the bill and another $25 off for the deviation) and will overnight on Galveston Island (hotel is $100). Not trusting a day-of flight to make the ship in time. We've all read too many horror stories on this board.

• Like 4

The problem with "reliability" falls into hands of the airlines, not NCL.  That's why most folks advise coming into port the day before.

You say the hotel is too expensive. Is that the NCL-booked hotel? That's where you do some research, figure out what a less expensive hotel near the airport costs (think free shuttle) and see if you can book an Uber or such to get from the hotel to the port. Might be far more economical - and less stressful - than flying in the morning of the trip.

• Like 2

they are charging us 75 each way for transfer, which we can do cheaper.  I am assuming you can priceline or find a cheaper hotel and just pay the deviation fee and drop the transfer and hotel choices. I'm still learning NCL, but this may be your best option.  Flying in the day of, is the worst thing to do.  i could share a brief summary of an emergency health landing, having to sail without luggage for three days with you to get that point across. Too many variables to do the same day.

I'm not trying to be rude at all, but if the price of the hotel puts you out of reach for the cruise that month, would waiting another month benefit you?  The unknown costs of same-day travel may outweigh your potential savings.  Concerned about your plan.

1 hour ago, seapad said:

Will be on the Prima in March. Wants to take the Free 2nd person Air. Its really economical, plus the deal includes round trip transfer. Flying from Seattle to Galveston cruise the day of! 

If I do the air deviation arriving a day earlier, the cost of hotel and transfers are quite steep, out of the budget. Just want to hear from folks what's your experience with their air arrangement itinerary? Is it fairly reliable? 

Thanks so much! 

We've used NCL several times and it has always worked out for us. That said, please keep in mind that you don't get any say in the timing of your flights. You might have short connections. You might have an arrival time in Texas that is close to the all-aboard time. Or you might not. Part of deciding whether to use the NCL flight option is your own personal comfort level and need for control. If you get stressed out about the unknown, you might be better off doing your own flights, or flying in a day early (if you can.)

Enjoy!

I would fly in the day before.  SeaTac could get fogged in. Galveston could have weather issues as well.  You could probably get cheaper airfare using your credit card points or miles.  i have only used BOGO when flying overseas ( that saved me over $2000.00).  Look on a travel website for bundle packages.  Sometimes you can save money when you bundle your air and hotel.  Have a great trip

• Like 1

If you can get a hotel credit card and use points

This card will cost you 99 bucks and you can get more that one hotel night, use it to pay for whatever 3K in 3 months is usually pretty easy.  Pay your insurance with it.

https://www.ihg.com/onerewards/content/us/en/creditcard

IHG Rewards Premier
Credit Car

The right choice for frequent travelers

Welcome offer: earn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within 3 months of account opening.*

Dollar Icon$99 annual fee†

27 minutes ago, fredflint said:

If you can get a hotel credit card and use points

This card will cost you 99 bucks and you can get more that one hotel night, use it to pay for whatever 3K in 3 months is usually pretty easy.  Pay your insurance with it.

IHG Rewards Premier
Credit Car

The right choice for frequent travelers

Welcome offer: earn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within 3 months of account opening.*

Dollar Icon$99 annual fee†

the IHG hotels are nice as well, plenty of options. 

We have used NCL air several times, including internationally, and with deviations.

Essentially, plan to wait.   Because of the risk of you NOT making embarkation due to a delay somewhere, they tend to book flights that are SUPER early, including overnight flights.  You may wait hours at the pier before embarkation begins.  Same when homeward bound, we usually end up with later-afternoon flights and spend hours in the airport.

NCL Air comes with transfers (bus from airport to pier, and back), but no other options unless you also book the hotel stay.  The partner hotels seem to be global chains (Hilton, Sheraton, etc.) near the airport or port -- no quaint boutique hotels in the city center.

My advice: book the diversion w NCL and then get your own hotels.  Choosing a hotel within walking distance of sights or public transport can offset the 'loss' of transfer $$.

In Italy, we have booked Rome in Limo to pick us up from the airport, spent the day touring, and were dropped off at our hotel.

On 5/22/2023 at 5:53 PM, sjacobs11 said:

We are on the 3/1 sailing of Prima from Galveston and did an air deviation the day prior (they took one-way of transfers off the bill and another $25 off for the deviation) and will overnight on Galveston Island (hotel is $100). Not trusting a day-of flight to make the ship in time. We've all read too many horror stories on this board.

What hotel was that?

Was it booked through NCL?

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 5:09 PM, seapad said:

Thanks so much! 

One thing to remember.  You'll probably be flying into George Bush International which is at least an hour ride to the port.

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

What hotel was that?

Was it booked through NCL?

We booked the SpringHill Suites on Galveston Island on our own. If you have Bonvoy's, it's a reasonable 22K for the night and includes breakfast. Cash price was ~$100.

1 minute ago, sjacobs11 said:

We booked the SpringHill Suites on Galveston Island on our own. If you have Bonvoy's, it's a reasonable 22K for the night and includes breakfast. Cash price was ~$100.

Thanks.  I thought that $100 was a bit low for the NCL hotel which I understand is the Tremont.

On our last cruise from Houston, we stayed at the Airport Marriott the day prior and took a shuttle to the port the next day. Worked well.  Plan on doing that again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thanks.  I thought that $100 was a bit low for the NCL hotel which I understand is the Tremont.

On our last cruise from Houston, we stayed at the Airport Marriott the day prior and took a shuttle to the port the next day. Worked well.  Plan on doing that again.

Does the airport Marriot provides shuttle to the NCL terminal? I thought it's pretty far away. Is there a fee? Thanks 

16 minutes ago, sjacobs11 said:

On 5/22/2023 at 3:53 PM, sjacobs11 said:

I'm considering the same option too. Can you share what transfer do you use from airport to hotel, and then hotel to pier, then pier back to airport? 

Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, seapad said:

I'm considering the same option too. Can you share what transfer do you use from airport to hotel, and then hotel to pier, then pier back to airport? 

Thanks! 

There are four of us, so we're renting a car one-way from whatever airport we fly into to the hotel and then will Uber/Taxi from the hotel to the port as it's not too far from the property. We're using NCL transfers on the way home as we'll be heading back right after we return.

• Like 1

Just got our airfare for a late July cruise SEA to SEA. I had opted for a one day deviation on the front end, same day out on the end. I was pleased. Have non-stop Alaska air both ways. Will arrive about 6:15 day prior and leave about 6:45 day of disembarking. Hopefully will be able to get the bags to the airport option and we can explore downtown Seattle the day we get off.

I have pre-booked my own airport hotel with a shuttle (also a restaurant/bar and pool), figuring if we got there early we could drop bags and take the light rail option downtown. I have also pre-booked a shuttle service with hotel pickup to the ship for the day of the cruise.

Booking the air through NCL was a significant savings. Did the math and figured going in a day early we will be fine even with all the horror stories.

1 hour ago, seapad said:

Does the airport Marriot provides shuttle to the NCL terminal? I thought it's pretty far away. Is there a fee? Thanks 

No, you'll need to arrange either an NCL transfer or a private shuttle. But, you'll have to make the same arrangements to get to Galveston anyway.

1 hour ago, sjacobs11 said:

There are four of us, so we're renting a car one-way from whatever airport we fly into to the hotel and then will Uber/Taxi from the hotel to the port as it's not too far from the property. We're using NCL transfers on the way home as we'll be heading back right after we return.

Have  you made reservations for that rental car?  Reports are one way rentals are not always available  there aren't many drop off places.

This may be helpful:

https://www.cruzely.com/how-to-get-from-the-houston-airport-to-the-galveston-cruise-port/#other_services_car_rentals_private_cars

Edited by RocketMan275

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Have  you made reservations for that rental car?  Reports are one way rentals are not always available  there aren't many drop off places.

Hi. Not yet as we're unsure which Houston airport we were flying into. May just Uber to the hotel, which is ~$150 for an XL and we're splitting with another couple.

2 minutes ago, sjacobs11 said:

Hi. Not yet as we're unsure which Houston airport we were flying into. May just Uber to the hotel, which is ~$150 for an XL and we're splitting with another couple.

Take a look at the link I posted for all your options.

5 minutes ago, vswan said:

... Hopefully will be able to get the bags to the airport option and we can explore downtown Seattle the day we get off.

If you don't manage to book a bags to airport service, there are places near downtown that will store your luggage for you. I used https://usebounce.com/ to find a place last June when we got off an Alaska cruise.  It was actually a hotel where we ended up storing our bags. We dropped off the bags and walked around to do some sight seeing and lunch, then walked back to get our bags before ubering to the airport. Worked perfectly. 

Port of Seattle has a Port Valet service.  We just used this while getting off the Sun.    https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

The service worked great!  We put our bags out on the last night and next saw them at baggage claim when we landed at home!  It is a FREE service and your flight home must be for after 12 noon.