LAX/SNA airport options for Celebrity out of Long Beach

mizLORInj

We'd like to check out the LA area a day or 2 before the cruise departs.

So for that it seems we should fly into LAX,but after the cruise. . is SNA better just because it is a smaller airport?

or do LAX round trip?  

Thanks in advance.  If you're ever in the northeast cruising from NY or NJ--I will return the favor!   😁

This topic is discussed here frequently. Yes...many consider SNA and LGB airports better because they are smaller and relatively close. I see you are from NJ, which might imply flying out of LGB or SNA would therefore require a connection somewhere, whereas flying out of LAX is more likely to get you a non-stop. 

30 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

This topic is discussed here frequently. Yes...many consider SNA and LGB airports better because they are smaller and relatively close. I see you are from NJ, which might imply flying out of LGB or SNA would therefore require a connection somewhere, whereas flying out of LAX is more likely to get you a non-stop. 

I can get non-stops to and from both LAX and SNA.     🙂   

No non-stops to or from Long Beach.

They seem to be almost equidistant.  Someone told me always best to head AWAY from LAX, so that's why I checked out SNA and was happy to see non-stops!

But. . . is it easier, quicker, etc., or just go with LAX.

1 minute ago, mizLORInj said:

I can get non-stops to and from both LAX and SNA.     🙂   

No non-stops to or from Long Beach.

They seem to be almost equidistant.  Someone told me always best to head AWAY from LAX, so that's why I checked out SNA and was happy to see non-stops!

But. . . is it easier, quicker, etc., or just go with LAX.

In most cases it will be quicker and easier through SNA. Last time I was there it was very busy. But as it's smaller, still easier. 

1 hour ago, mizLORInj said:

We'd like to check out the LA area a day or 2 before the cruise departs. So for that it seems we should fly into LAX, but after the cruise. . is SNA better just because it is a smaller airport? 

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "check out the LA area" and which airport you are flying out of and which airline.

If you can fly into BUR (Burbank) instead of LAX and out of SNA, you are ahead of the game. LA is a bad airport to begin with and the construction going on to try and upgrade for the 2028 Olympics and the preview events that will start in 2026, it is even more of a mess.

If you plan to stay in Santa Monica, bite the bullet and use LAX going in. If you plan to stay in Hollywood, use BUR.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 3:10 PM, scottca075 said:

If you plan to stay in Santa Monica, bite the bullet and use LAX going in

@scottca075 - my family and I are flying into LAX in two weeks (on a Thursday) and staying in Santa Monica.  From these boards, taking an Uber or Lyft seems to be the best (and maybe only?) option.  Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, JGmf said:

@scottca075 - my family and I are flying into LAX in two weeks (on a Thursday) and staying in Santa Monica.  From these boards, taking an Uber or Lyft seems to be the best (and maybe only?) option.  Thoughts?

Not the "only", there are certainly shuttle companies and limo companies, but I'd say Uber is the "preferred". You might need an Uber SUV if you have 4 people + luggage.