Read entire thread for update: Train Strike Friday

jlandz09

Emergency! Train strike just announced Friday and tickets already purchased. Literally taxiing the runway in Philly as I type this.

Should I try to book private transportation from Rome hotel in city center to the port as soon as we land and get through customs, or am I misunderstanding what happens for those with pre-booked train tickets? What DOES happen with those tickets?

Help!

Well, it wasn't "just" announced, as I posted about it last Saturday; not sure when it was called but would guess it's been at least a week:

Certain trains are still guaranteed to run and the strike runs from 9am to 5pm. What kind of tickets do you have and what is the timing and destination?

Immigration is the complicated process, Customs literally takes seconds. The most time you will have free will be waiting for your luggage, which can easily take 45 minutes.

Are you staying at a hotel in Rome that has a concierge? If the train doesn't happen, I would be talking to the concierge.

29 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Are you staying at a hotel in Rome that has a concierge? If the train doesn't happen, I would be talking to the concierge.

I would tend to agree. The hotel may have a connection with a private agency, but it may be difficult...

I wouldn't normally suggest it but is it possible to go to Civi the previous day and spend your last night there?

58 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Taxis are also part of the strike, it would appear.

Ooops. I didn't check the sciopero site. The question is whether transfer companies fall under the "taxi" umbrella. 

The OP should get in touch with Stefanos Rome Cabs romecabs.com and ask. Also ask the hotel. 

Edited by marazul

Sorry for the frantic OP. “Just announced” for me meant “just received the email from NCL.” I checked the websites but must have just missed this one. Meant to check again before we left but wedding got in the way. Not anyone’s fault but my own.

How would I go about determining whether our train will still run?

339DE6FA-B388-476C-BEEE-C8581F4F7215.png

The English language info on strikes is here:  In case of strike - Trenitalia

The list of guaranteed trains, in Italian only, is here:  TABELLA_A_Treni_garantiti_DPLH.pdf (trenitalia.com)

Unfortunately, your train is not on the list.  You can ask for a refund.

Your best bet, to travel by train, is get up early in the morning and take a regional train that departs before 8:30.  It will be VERY crowded so get on at the first stop, Termini, to increase your odds of getting a seat.

There are trains at 7:00, 7:27, and 8:12.  Remember that these trains start from the auxiliary tracks three blocks from the main station, if you're taking a taxi to the station asked to be dropped off at the Linee di Lazio entrance on Via Giolitti (at the intersection of Via Mamiani).

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Your best bet, to travel by train, is get up early in the morning and take a regional train that departs before 8:30.  It will be VERY crowded so get on at the first stop, Termini, to increase your odds of getting a seat.

There are trains at 7:00, 7:27, and 8:12.  Remember that these trains start from the auxiliary tracks three blocks from the main station, if you're taking a taxi to the station asked to be dropped off at the Linee di Lazio entrance on Via Giolitti (at the intersection of Via Mamiani).

I notice they pre-reserved for the bus also. If they arrive in Civitavecchia after 9:00 am, will it be running?

• Host Bonjour changed the title to Read entire thread for update: Train Strike Friday