Disembarkation Times on AmaWaterways

abjnb707

55 minutes ago, abjnb707 said:

I am looking at booking a river cruise on AMA that ends in Budapest.  Does anyone know what time they let you disembark in Budapest?

most river cruise  want you off  by 9 am 

if you overnight there you can probably get off anytime you want

• Like 3

2 hours ago, abjnb707 said:

I am looking at booking a river cruise on AMA that ends in Budapest.  Does anyone know what time they let you disembark in Budapest?

@abjnb707

Thank you for your new topic on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns a specific river cruise line and is off topic there.

To help you out I have moved your new topic to the River Cruising forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have cruised on AmaWaterways  frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you. Also, be sure to check out the pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in the forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

I notice you did not Follow this new thread of yours. suggest you use the Follow feature on any threads where you are interested in the new posts. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come looking for you as notifications. If you need more info on how to do it, please click here How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

most river cruise  want you off  by 9 am 

if you overnight there you can probably get off anytime you want

And while this probably isn't relevant to your question, it may be for others:  while you have to vacate your cabin early, many river cruise lines let you stay onboard if you like [e.g. if you have a late flight and don't want to go to the airport too early].  Just as they allow the new passengers to drop their bags early and sit in the lounge and have a snack or lunch.  River cruises are very accommodating to both sets of passengers.

• Like 1

People with very early flights (from places like Budapest that require a connection to get across the Atlantic for North Americans) have been known to have transportation VERY early in the morning. As LHT28 says, as long as you overnight there you can get off any time. The cruise line will make arrangements for getting you to the airport; whether included or whether you have to pay for it.

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

People with very early flights (from places like Budapest that require a connection to get across the Atlantic for North Americans) have been known to have transportation VERY early in the morning. As LHT28 says, as long as you overnight there you can get off any time. The cruise line will make arrangements for getting you to the airport; whether included or whether you have to pay for it.

Leaving in Vienna, the cruise ship arranged for a cab at 3:30 AM for a flight at 6:15 AM 😁

While we've only been on a few river cruises, so far it seems like that they usually/always overnight at the disembarkation port so that people can catch early flights without any issues.

So, to the OP, I don't think there would be any issue if you were to disembark as early as you wanted.

Not always, on the Main we didn't arrive into Nuremberg until that morning.

Im told the captain had to dock just the other side of a lock around 1am to let a couple off to meet their AMA arranged transfer.

Pretty sure this is the only cruise of the 5 Ive done where the ship didn't arrive around dinner time the night before. (on the Seine it was there a full day before that).

They will ask the first or second night for you to fill out your disembarkation plan and give it to the cruise director (included transfer, going with them on a land extension, need a cab to the airport to meet X flight, need a cab to the train station to meet Y train, need a cab to go to a hotel etc). This will be turned into a schedule that will be posted at the cruise directors desk, you will be told what time to have bags out and what time your transfer is scheduled (and given a color coded bag tag to put your name and all this on), usually this is about 3-4 hours before an airline flight if the airport isn't that far.

Edited by CastleCritic

I forgot to say that my Vienna transfer was not AMA, but I think it still applies. Our first AMA (2019) we also had an early flight and an early private towncar, but don't remember the times. 

On our first AMA cruise we had to leave the ship at 4:30 AM and take a cab to the airport to checkin in time for our flight across the Atlantic. We walked down the hall with our bags  shortly after 4 in order to call a cab. The cruise manage met us in the atrium. She had a cab waiting. She had a box breakfast. We got hugs. 
That said to us we had chosen the right river cruise line for us. 
BTW, her name was Debbie Albrecht who was pregnant at the time, subsequently worked in the AMA office and now still manages a trip from time to time.

6 hours ago, truckmaker said:

On our first AMA cruise we had to leave the ship at 4:30 AM and take a cab to the airport to checkin in time for our flight across the Atlantic. We walked down the hall with our bags  shortly after 4 in order to call a cab. The cruise manage met us in the atrium. She had a cab waiting. She had a box breakfast. We got hugs. 
That said to us we had chosen the right river cruise line for us. 
BTW, her name was Debbie Albrecht who was pregnant at the time, subsequently worked in the AMA office and now still manages a trip from time to time.

I dont think some people (and companies) appreciate how much a good cruise director can really improve the experience.

Ive had 5 on AMA.

Amsterdam to Basel, a young "pretty girl" who was training another CD, she was always around, and the cruise ran well, but never really made an impression. (she's no longer with the company Im told).  I dont even remember seeing her when we left (arranged taxi at like 9:30 or something

Vilshofen to Budapest, invited me to eat with her first night, knew my name, was always trying to get me involved in more social things (I don't really like people so this is...a chore, its not a phobia just...not a social person).  Like your story 4am disembarkation Budapest she hugged me and said she hoped to see me again...I missed this opportunity apparently....

Basel to Nuremberg(to Prague), we only had about 40 on the ship, but he learned my name and what I looked like (as did the hotel manager) just from the checkin/security footage (this was peak covid so I wasn't really coming out of my room much..plus I had a balcony so I really didn't need to except to eat and do excursions)  He found me to check about the Prague extension (again by name) while I was looking at the menu for lunch.  Later made sure  (as I was again solo) that I was taken care of, we talked a lot on the Prague extension (there were only 5 guests).  This was also the trip where they had to figure out how to get a couple from the middle of nowhere to an airport at 1am.  Ate with us a few times, my departure from Prague was pretty comfy (9am or something) and we shook hands when I left, he had arranged a guide and driver just for me (plus I was the only one on the "active" group when he could have just canceled her and sent me with the other 4)

Paris to La Havre (to St Malo), older German gentleman, didn't make the greatest first impression (my mother was with me this time and we had a situation that we caused resulting in a lost phone at the airport and he didn't really do much early on even though the reception desk called him, but he did try to help eventually) , but he knew EVERYONE, including the cruise managers I had before, we had this particular discussion halfway through the land extension, which is when I found out he had LUNCH with the Danube CD that I would have liked to say hi to on the stopover we did (she was taking the incoming group to AMADante).  Walked us from the hotel to the train at the Paris airport and carried as much luggage as he could. Also the only CD Ive ever talked to on the phone (something happened and I got separated from everyone..including my mother and they didnt count when we were at Mt, St Michel...but this wasn't a big deal I was heading to the bus when he called, he was waiting when I got to the shuttle drop off)

This months trip (Budapest to Bucharest to Romania) much like the post above, had breakfast boxes ready for everyone both on the ship and for us at the hotel.  Was approachable, along with the captain I ate dinner with her night1. Did some little things for us like reserving "mini trains" for everyone on the extension to avoid having to hike a pretty long hill (and cabs for our less mobile people  on other excursions there even though there were no "easy walker" groups on the extension save the very last one).  Knew a LOT of the guides personally (one was her best friend), and could remember who did what groups days later if there was a comment/issue.  She had a group of us to get on a bus at 5am and had food and a guide for us (guide stayed with the group until we checked in)

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1

We disembarked from AmaStella in April.

cabins need to be vacated at 8am but you can sit in any of the lounge areas till your departure time.

We had a flight at about 3pm so we didn’t leave the ship till about 11. In the waiting time we were able to leave our hand luggage at reception and go ashore to the market, a 5 minute walk away plus walk up to the stone church. 
If you have booked an extension in Budapest you either get a private taxi, booked by AMA or they will help you get a taxi to come and collect you.

Luggage was collected from outside the cabins and kept safe till departure time.

Everything was really well organised. I should think you could get off anytime you like, after breakfast. We arrived the day before so had a tour of Budapest plus a steam train ride, but some people left that day.

Enjoy your trip abjnb707

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Disembarkation Times on AmaWaterways