Making best use of GS perks

I have two rooms booked, GS and OV.

GS has 3 people: 2 non drinkers and 1 moderate drinker.

OV has 2 people: 1 non drinker and 1 heavy(er) drinker

I booked it this way because those will be the sleeping arrangements, but I've since learned you can print new key cards and RCL doesn't care where people sleep. 

Would it be better to switch the heavier drinker with a non-drinker's reservation from the OV into the GS so they could access the SL for free drinks, but get them a key card to the OV room after boarding?  If we reprint/swap keycards, would this change who could eat in the CK and get the other GS perks?

Thanks for any tips on what to do

Yes.  Whoever is officially in the GS gets CK access.  Whoever is officially in the OV doesn’t. Have the drinkers buy a drink package so those really in the suite don’t lose their suite perks.  If you are not booked in that suite you will not be allowed in the CK.   

• Like 1

Here's my idea: Put the moderate drinker in the OV, along with the Heavy drinker, if you don't mind them not having Suite privileges. Then buy the Drink package for both people in the OV. The moderate can then get a key card to sleep in the OV.  That way, they get the most out of the drink package, since everybody in the cabin must buy the drink package if one does.

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

You can call to purchase a single drink package so all in one cabin won’t need it. I did that.

The second person would still have to buy a refreshment package if an adult.  

5 hours ago, twangster said:

What ship or class of ship are you sailing?

Anyone under age 21 in the group?

Thanks everyone for the ideas.  

We're on Harmony.  1 person in the GS currently under 21.  We're probably not big enough drinkers to justify any drink package, the stuff available in the SL should be enough for even the biggest drinker.

19 minutes ago, TripleQ said:

We're on Harmony.  1 person in the GS currently under 21.  We're probably not big enough drinkers to justify any drink package, the stuff available in the SL should be enough for even the biggest drinker.

The 2 in the non suite cant partake of the suite drinks. Not unless as you say you switch them before the cruise into the GS. I think one name on each booking needs to remain the same. ..and as you mentioned takes the folks now booked out of the ck for meals.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TripleQ said:

My advice is this.  Put the folks you want to have all suite benefits (not just drinks) in the GS.  Don’t base it on drinking.  Why have a non drinker lose their suite privileges just for that?   Maybe it doesn’t matter?   Idk.  

Here is how I would do it.  Have those in the OV buy a drink package.  A heavy drinker will probably want a package anyhow.  Why sacrifice the suite benefits for some just for others to have free drinks.  A drinker is going to want drinks by the pool.  In lounges, etc.  So they may still want a package regardless.  

If all of you will eat meals and do all other things together then you won’t be doing CK or using some of the other benefits anyhow.  Then I guess my point is irrelevant.  But if I’m in a GS, I’m eating in the CK, not the windjammer or mdr.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

You can call to purchase a single drink package so all in one cabin won’t need it. I did that.

Did the other adult have to buy the refreshment package?  That's normally a waiver requirement.

48 minutes ago, TripleQ said:

The GS drinks can be limiting.  Are you sure big drinker wouldn't want more?

The big drinker in a GS without a DX would have to visit deck 17 for every drink 11am to 11pm and that only includes cheap beer and wine.  The mixed cocktail hours are 5pm to 8pm but for a big drink it might not be appealing to wait until 5pm for a mixed drink, especially having to go to deck 17 for every drink.  That's no fun.

If you put the under 21 in the OV with the big drinker then big drinker can buy the DX drink package and the under 21 doesn't have to buy anything.

Normally when requesting a waiver for just one person buying the DX they require other people in the same cabin who are over 21 to buy the refreshment package.  While not as much, it's still several hundred for a 7 night cruise each.

Leverage the under 21 in the OV to get around that by putting them in the OV together.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, twangster said:

Did the other adult have to buy the refreshment package?  That's normally a waiver requirement.

The GS drinks can be limiting.  Are you sure big drinker wouldn't want more?

The big drinker in a GS without a DX would have to visit deck 17 for every drink 11am to 11pm and that only includes cheap beer and wine.  The mixed cocktail hours are 5pm to 8pm but for a big drink it might not be appealing to wait until 5pm for a mixed drink, especially having to go to deck 17 for every drink.  That's no fun.

If you put the under 21 in the OV with the big drinker then big drinker can buy the DX drink package and the under 21 doesn't have to buy anything.

Normally when requesting a waiver for just one person buying the DX they require other people in the same cabin who are over 21 to buy the refreshment package.  While not as much, it's still several hundred for a 7 night cruise each.

Leverage the under 21 in the OV to get around that by putting them in the OV together.

I had already bought the refreshment and mentioned that to the agent but I didn’t get the feeling that she checked that information to be true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I had already bought the refreshment and mentioned that to the agent but I didn’t get the feeling that she checked that information to be true.

Last week they forced the RR for a DX exemption I was working on.  I was curious if others are getting around that somehow.  

• Like 1