I'm torn--please help me decide (Breakaway+ vs. Prima ships) + Haven questions/advice!

I have only cruised with NCL once, way back in 2013 on the NCL Breakaway from NYC--I went solo and single at the time and was... younger lol!

It's time to come back and try NCL again!  After 2013, I've done 2 cruises, Ruby Princess (US West Coast) and Anthem of the Seas (Carribbean).

I am torn on what I should do for my next cruise!

Choice: Joy/Bliss/Encore OR Prima/Viva?

I always love being on the newest ships which would make Prima/Viva a + for this question but the Breakaway+ classes have a Haven Suite that has a jacuzzi in the room, which is actually quite nice.  My partner and I are kinda shy when it comes to using a pool or jacuzzi in a public area--and we're sort of introverts lol.  Only issue is that in B+ ships, those suites are on the opposite end where the Haven is BUT the proximity to the Spa to use the thermal suites sound kinda nice.

Choice 2: If Joy/Bliss/Encore, should we do Haven Spa Suite or pick a suite that's actually in the Haven area?

Haven Questions:

• Now that cruising seems to be back in full swing after COVID, how has the Haven experience been when the ship is near or at capacity? 
  • Do things at the Haven feel as busy as non-Haven areas? 
  • Are hot tubs and jacuzzies always crowded/occupied?
  • For in-room dining, is it true that we can order stuff from the menus of other dining establishments?
  • Lastly, for a colder climate itinerary (early season Alaska), is Haven still worth it?

Thank you in advance for the advice and guidance!

2 hours ago, NeutralNovice said:

I have only cruised with NCL once, way back in 2013 on the NCL Breakaway from NYC--I went solo and single at the time and was... younger lol!

It's time to come back and try NCL again!  After 2013, I've done 2 cruises, Ruby Princess (US West Coast) and Anthem of the Seas (Carribbean).

I always love being on the newest ships which would make Prima/Viva a + for this question but the Breakaway+ classes have a Haven Suite that has a jacuzzi in the room, which is actually quite nice.  My partner and I are kinda shy when it comes to using a pool or jacuzzi in a public area--and we're sort of introverts lol.  Only issue is that in B+ ships, those suites are on the opposite end where the Haven is BUT the proximity to the Spa to use the thermal suites sound kinda nice.

Choice 2: If Joy/Bliss/Encore, should we do Haven Spa Suite or pick a suite that's actually in the Haven area?

Haven Questions:

• Now that cruising seems to be back in full swing after COVID, how has the Haven experience been when the ship is near or at capacity? 
  • For in-room dining, is it true that we can order stuff from the menus of other dining establishments?
  • Lastly, for a colder climate itinerary (early season Alaska), is Haven still worth it?

One of the major reasons for Booking Haven is the Haven isn't crowded even if the ship is at full capacity.

The hot tubs in the Haven are seldom crowded.

You can order from the menus of any onboard dining establishment.  Understand that if you order from a specialty restaurant  you'll use one of your specialty dining perks.

The Haven observation lounge on a Breakaway+ ship would be well worth booking the Haven.  Not all ships have this feature so check the deck plans on NCL.com.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeutralNovice said:

Haven Questions:

The Prima and Viva are the “new toys” with all of the features of the Breakaway+ ships but with 25% fewer passengers. As you seem to indicate, the Prima and Viva do not have rooms “in the Haven”. 

We have sailed in the Prima twice (non-Haven) and have a Viva Haven cruise later this year. We sailed on the Breakaway in the Haven last fall. (We can only afford the Haven about once a year)

The Joy does not have a Spa. 

The Haven always make it feel less crowded. For us, the Haven is a room and we spend most of our time out with steerage. Yeah, maybe a dip in the Haven pool and jacuzzi, but the rest of the time in the main public areas for entertainment and activities. We don’t hold up in the Haven and never go out. 

During most of the summer, Alaska is shorts and t-shirts weather in ports. And having the private sun decks for glacier watching is a bonus (bundled up, but with a cup of hot wine). 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

One of the major reasons for Booking Haven is the Haven isn't crowded even if the ship is at full capacity.

The hot tubs in the Haven are seldom crowded.

You can order from the menus of any onboard dining establishment.  Understand that if you order from a specialty restaurant  you'll use one of your specialty dining perks.

The Haven observation lounge on a Breakaway+ ship would be well worth booking the Haven.  Not all ships have this feature so check the deck plans on NCL.com.

Ok good to hear that it never really feels crowded!  The observation lounge will probably be really nice for Alaska. I'll look at all the deck plans though I am leaning toward the latest one, the Encore.

Thank you!

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The Prima and Viva are the “new toys” with all of the features of the Breakaway+ ships but with 25% fewer passengers. As you seem to indicate, the Prima and Viva do not have rooms “in the Haven”. 

We have sailed in the Prima twice (non-Haven) and have a Viva Haven cruise later this year. We sailed on the Breakaway in the Haven last fall. (We can only afford the Haven about once a year)

The Joy does not have a Spa. 

The Haven always make it feel less crowded. For us, the Haven is a room and we spend most of our time out with steerage. Yeah, maybe a dip in the Haven pool and jacuzzi, but the rest of the time in the main public areas for entertainment and activities. We don’t hold up in the Haven and never go out. 

During most of the summer, Alaska is shorts and t-shirts weather in ports. And having the private sun decks for glacier watching is a bonus (bundled up, but with a cup of hot wine). 

I had to look up what "steerage" meant!  If I do Alaska, I'm going to have to decide if I want early/late season where weather might be cooler or peak... I do like the prospect of long daylight hours.

Thank you for your input!  We'd probably do a mix of both Haven and regular activities.  Like if we want to just chill, we'll definitely stay in the Haven where it'll be less crowded.

49 minutes ago, NeutralNovice said:

Ok good to hear that it never really feels crowded!  The observation lounge will probably be really nice for Alaska. I'll look at all the deck plans though I am leaning toward the latest one, the Encore.

Thank you!

I had to look up what "steerage" meant!  If I do Alaska, I'm going to have to decide if I want early/late season where weather might be cooler or peak... I do like the prospect of long daylight hours.

Thank you for your input!  We'd probably do a mix of both Haven and regular activities.  Like if we want to just chill, we'll definitely stay in the Haven where it'll be less crowded.

We have sailed twice in Haven Breakaway.  Once in an Owners Suite w/large balcony and once in an aft Haven penthouse.  While the extra room in the Owners suite was nice the balcony was a waste since it was unusable when the ship was in motion due to wind.  The aft was large and the aft balconies are wonderful.  We're in our seventies and didn't find the walk to the Haven too bad.

That said, we booked our second alaska cruise on Encore in a Two Bedroom with large balcony.  The balconies are much bigger on deck 17.  

While we were looking forward to another alaska cruise we cancelled that because it's such a hassle flying to Seattle.  Instead we booked Encore out of Miami.  Both the Encore cruise were in a 2br w/ large balcony.

I would strongly suggest you go to youtube and watch some videos on the Haven.  Danny from Harr does a wonderful job.  

Here are some excellent videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDLS9CvQgn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOe1LsTrA2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SBhaAmAz44

I always try to go to Alaska as early in the Season as possible.

(1) Before the glacier ice has a chance to melt.

(2) Before the Summer School vacation season begins.

During the peak Summer Season, Seattle, Washington can have a many as three cruise ships docked every Saturday and Sunday.  In some of the Alaskan ports during the Summer ships have to wait for available docking spaces.  Sometimes not having much time in a port or having very early or late port arrival and departure times.