Cruise Lines or Travel Agents?

Would like to know how many of you book your cruise with a Travel Agent or book with the Cruise Line?  And do you shop for a Travel Agent for the best price etc or always use the same TA?  Do you have any tips as to how to get the best price?

I used to book on my own, but after seeing one friend on Cruise Critic rave about her TA, I asked for her name and number when I met that friend on a cruise. I've used her since and I am not going back to booking without, She often has group space giving better than posted prices, she gives us OBC, and she is at the ready to solve any issue or problem we may have. We've had a few issues here and there and once she even managed to resolve it, even though she was on a cruise herself when I reached out to her!!

We find it just as easy to book with the cruise line. Our cruises aren't that expensive and TA's generally don't offer enough to make me want to spend the time to find a good one (I've read too many horror stories of bad ones to take that chance). 

On 5/26/2023 at 4:08 PM, brzymom said:

I used to book on my own, but after seeing one friend on Cruise Critic rave about her TA, I asked for her name and number when I met that friend on a cruise. I've used her since and I am not going back to booking without, She often has group space giving better than posted prices, she gives us OBC, and she is at the ready to solve any issue or problem we may have. We've had a few issues here and there and once she even managed to resolve it, even though she was on a cruise herself when I reached out to her!!

On 5/30/2023 at 3:49 AM, sparks1093 said:

We find it just as easy to book with the cruise line. Our cruises aren't that expensive and TA's generally don't offer enough to make me want to spend the time to find a good one (I've read too many horror stories of bad ones to take that chance). 

I waver back and forth on using TAs.  I guess if I could find  one of these "great" TAs that people say give sizeable perks/discounts while also providing knowledgeable and responsive service, I'd choose the TA route in a second.  The problem is I can't find one.  My experience has been you can have either good service or good prices, but not both.  Whenever I read about people boasting that their TA routinely gives them 10% back in OBC while also tending to their every need,  it's like someone reporting a UFO sighting - it might be real, but I've never seen one😀

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 3

On a related note, how does one even go about finding one of these great TAs? Any agent can book, but I'm looking for one who knows the ins and outs of discounts, upgrades, etc. I'm a planner by nature, and will be out of my usual comfort zone by turning this over to someone else, but I also recognize that I need professional help. For cruise planning, that is.  😜

• Like 2