Venice Public Transportation - will this pass work?

JessyCruises

I am heading to Venice next month and trying to figure out local transportation and I am a bit confused and hoping for some help!

We are going to be sailing on the Explorer of the Seas out of Ravenna on June 11.  We are arriving in Venice early on the 10th and will be staying in Mestre at the Hilton Garden Inn Venice Mestre San Giuliano.  There is a public transport stop directly in front of the hotel.  We are planning on spending the day exploring the island and are looking at booking a 24 hr transport pass to hopefully cover the transportation 1) From hotel to the island 2) vaparettos in Venice 3) Transportation back to hotel and 4) transportation from hotel to Tronchetto in the morning to take the shuttle to the port. Shuttles from the airport to the hotel and from Tronchetto to Ravenna are already covered.

It appears at first glance that the ACTV 1 day Transport VENEZIA DAILY PASS is what we need and will cost 50 euros for 2.  Before buying, I want to make sure that what it covers actually includes what we are looking for.  Can anyone confirm this will be able to get us back & forth to the hotel?

Screenshots below show what the pass includes and a map showing the station in front of the hotel.

Thank you in advance!

image.thumb.png.c2b9fe37f6b0389ddea102ae29b0d55f.png

image.thumb.png.3e9c79684ad347c114cd0affcd8c9bfd.png

image.png

Edited by JessyCruises

Before buying, I want to make sure that what it covers actually includes what we are looking for

Cannot comment on the ins and outs of the pass, but wanted to make a comment about its usage.

Looking at your plans you will have 3 bus journeys, although it isn't clear how many tickets you might need to get from the hotel to Tronchetto on the day of your transfer, so maybe 4 will be needed.  Bus tickets are  inexpensive unless they have increased from the 2 euros or thereabouts single journey fares of the past.  That would total approx 6 euros per person, depending on the Tronchetto tickets.

And realistically, how many vaporettis will you ride on a one day visit?  For sure you would want to ride the Grand Canal route , but unless you are heading out to some of the other islands such as Murano or Burano, (and with only one day you likely would not have time for that).that may be your one and only vaporetto as Venice is really a walking city and you will probably spend most of your day doing just that. It is a joy to explore on foot and relatively compact. For shorter distances the often crowded vaporetti are not the best option, walking can be a faster option, and you will see much more on foot.

A single ride vaporetto ticket will be under 10euros pp so 10 euros plus approx 6 euros pp is 16 euros, which is less than your 25 euro pp 24 hour pass.That would give a potential cost of around 32 euros for two persons, leaving you a saving of 18 euros  for two which you could use to buy snacks or drinks during the day.  Venice is quite expensive for visitors so any saving would be helpful.

I am therefore suggesting you cost bus fares and a single ride vaporetto ticket for comparison.before buying the pass. Of course if you want more than one vaporetto ride you would be cheaper with the pass if it covers your several trips.

Semi planning your day could help you decide, but do wear footwear which has good soles for walking, especially if it rains.

Can anyone confirm this will be able to get us back & forth to the hotel?

You have a confirmed booking.  It is not unreasonable to contact the hotel staff and ask them.  Also ask about  bus routes from and back to the hotel and the cost of single use tickets.

Whatever you decide, do not forget to validate transport tickets in the machines or you could be fined.

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 2:57 PM, JessyCruises said:

I am heading to Venice next month and trying to figure out local transportation and I am a bit confused and hoping for some help!

We are going to be sailing on the Explorer of the Seas out of Ravenna on June 11.  We are arriving in Venice early on the 10th and will be staying in Mestre at the Hilton Garden Inn Venice Mestre San Giuliano.  There is a public transport stop directly in front of the hotel.  We are planning on spending the day exploring the island and are looking at booking a 24 hr transport pass to hopefully cover the transportation 1) From hotel to the island 2) vaparettos in Venice 3) Transportation back to hotel and 4) transportation from hotel to Tronchetto in the morning to take the shuttle to the port. Shuttles from the airport to the hotel and from Tronchetto to Ravenna are already covered.

It appears at first glance that the ACTV 1 day Transport VENEZIA DAILY PASS is what we need and will cost 50 euros for 2.  Before buying, I want to make sure that what it covers actually includes what we are looking for.  Can anyone confirm this will be able to get us back & forth to the hotel?

Screenshots below show what the pass includes and a map showing the station in front of the hotel.

Thank you in advance!

image.thumb.png.c2b9fe37f6b0389ddea102ae29b0d55f.png

image.thumb.png.3e9c79684ad347c114cd0affcd8c9bfd.png

image.png

We are looking at this hotel as well.  We are outpriced on venice.  Did you find that this worked?  How did it work with your luggage getting Tronchetto?

27 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

We are looking at this hotel as well.  We are outpriced on venice.  Did you find that this worked?  How did it work with your luggage getting Tronchetto?

JessyCruises has a detailed trip report in the LIVE CRUISE REPORTS. She talks about this hotel, bus into venice for sightseeing, and the Tronchetto experience.

Sounds like a good option for pre-cruise.

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

JessyCruises has a detailed trip report in the LIVE CRUISE REPORTS. She talks about this hotel, bus into venice for sightseeing, and the Tronchetto experience.

Sounds like a good option for pre-cruise.

I just found it!  Thanks!

I think I kind of went silent towards the end of the review and did not really tie it up with a bow.  The hotel in Mestre we stayed at was great. If I were to do it again though, I would probably take the shuttle from the airport as getting the bags to the bus at Tronchetto was a bit of a slog from the bus stop and it was difficult to get a taxi not the way back.

12 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

I think I kind of went silent towards the end of the review and did not really tie it up with a bow.  The hotel in Mestre we stayed at was great. If I were to do it again though, I would probably take the shuttle from the airport as getting the bags to the bus at Tronchetto was a bit of a slog from the bus stop and it was difficult to get a taxi not the way back.

How did you book the hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel?  Was there enough room on the bus for you luggage. We have  a group of 12 so taxis my be best.  Did you have to go on the people mover.  I think we are going to follow your lead, drop of bags, get the bus, get the boat to St Marks eat and then sleep.  We are there for 2 days so plenty of time.

1 minute ago, irishgal432 said:

How did you book the hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel?  Was there enough room on the bus for you luggage. We have  a group of 12 so taxis my be best.  Did you have to go on the people mover.  I think we are going to follow your lead, drop of bags, get the bus, get the boat to St Marks eat and then sleep.  We are there for 2 days so plenty of time.

For the shuttle, we emailed the hotel directly - the email is info@hgivenice.com.  It was $20 Euros a room.    I would say it could seat 6-7 people.

For the bus, it really depends on how busy it is.  We had no problem getting on the bus in front of the hotel - we were going pretty early on a Sunday. We rolled the cabins in the back door and just stood back there.  We did not end up taking the bus back.  We ended up being able to flag down a cab on the way toward the bus stop, even though the driver said he was not really supposed to do that.  One of the wheels on one of the big bags was busted and it was just too difficult to manoeuvre.

There is definitely not enough space on the bus for that many people and luggage and regular users.  I would recommend emailing the hotel - maybe they can set something up for you so they take a few trips with your party.  If not I am sure they can recommend a shuttle company for you.

• Like 1

While I was finishing off my live thread, I remembered we actually did try to take a bus on the way back after we could not get a cab right at Tronchetto.  We walked up the hill and across the street to the bus stop, but when the bus actually stopped, there was no way to buy a ticket on the bus. 

Edited by JessyCruises