Cancellation near sailing date questions

moonjelly

Well, here's a cheery topic, sorry about that!

However, I anticipate that I may have to cancel my cruise, but won't know for sure until near sailing date.

How does NCL handle this? I know it would involve 100% forfeiture of cruise fare, but would I get my port taxes and fees refunded? Is there an additional penalty of $100 for the cancellation?

The other person in my cabin would still go.

If I don't get a refund of the port taxes and fees, should I just no-show to avoid a $100 fee, if there is one?

I am comparing the policies of the various lines to see if one has a better policy than the others between Princess, NCL, Holland America, and RCI.

Thank you for any help you can provide.It is advice I need, but hope I won't have to use!

I really don't know anything about this. But my gut feeling is that It would be better to make that other person in your Company the "first guest". Maybe canceling a "second guest" is better less bad than canceling "first"? As I said I really don't know, this is just a thought.

I've had to cancel a person in our cabin once.

If you cancel, you will be refunded:

1. Your taxes and port fees

2.  Any "Free at Sea" gratuities (if you selected f@s drinks/dining)

3.  Any pre-paid Daily service fees

4.  Any pre-paid excursions and other pre-paid service (Vibe, Thermal Spa, upgrade dining, drink, internet packages, etc.)

In essence what you lose is the value of your "cabin fare".  

We had to cancel our cruise to Hawaii a week before sailing a number of years ago. We had travel insurance, BUT...

The reason for cancellation was the emergency hospitalization of one of our kids for mental health reasons. The insurance did not cover anything related to mental health, despite the fact that the child was a minor and only a monster would abandon them during an extreme time of need.

We were able to cancel all our trip excursions, flight, and hotel. Our travel agent worked tirelessly to get at least a portion of a refund for the cruise itself.

I have no regrets for canceling for my kid. It was a lifesaver and worth every penny. And when we rebooked a year later, our travel agent got us better rates and deals on everything.

• Like 2

Thank you all, this is extremely helpful. Hearing about how things go in "real life" in addition to being aware of the written policy is a great combo.

reporterbabe, I hope your child is ok now and I am happy to hear you got to go the next year. This type of emergency is so heartbreaking and the lack of understanding that it is a "real" medical emergency is exactly what families don't need while they are fighting for their child's life. I feel for you.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, reporterbabe said:

We had to cancel our cruise to Hawaii a week before sailing a number of years ago. We had travel insurance, BUT...

The reason for cancellation was the emergency hospitalization of one of our kids for mental health reasons. The insurance did not cover anything related to mental health, despite the fact that the child was a minor and only a monster would abandon them during an extreme time of need.

We were able to cancel all our trip excursions, flight, and hotel. Our travel agent worked tirelessly to get at least a portion of a refund for the cruise itself.

I have no regrets for canceling for my kid. It was a lifesaver and worth every penny. And when we rebooked a year later, our travel agent got us better rates and deals on everything.

That’s crazy! Our young adult son (18) had a serious mental health issue that didn’t even end up with being admitted. I had purchased tuition insurance and with medical reports got every dime back.

Different kind of insurance, unfortunately. Allianz only covers medical if there is no pre-existing condition, and mental health emergencies are not covered. This upcoming trip, we are insured for everything.

My child went through a partial residential program that changed her life, became an advocate for mental health in her high school and now, a couple years out of college, works with troubled youth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1