Potential cancellation near sailing date questions

Well, here's a cheery topic, sorry about that!

However, I anticipate that I may have to cancel my cruise, but won't know for sure until near sailing date.

How does RCI handle this? I know it would involve 100% forfeiture of cruise fare, but would I get my port taxes and fees refunded? Is there an additional penalty of $100 (or other amount) for the cancellation?

The other person in my cabin would still go.

If I don't get a refund of the port taxes and fees, should I just no-show to avoid a fee, if there is one?

I am comparing the policies of the various lines to see if one has a better policy than the others between Princess, NCL, Holland America, and RCI.

Thank you for any help you can provide.It is advice I need, but hope I won't have to use!

Yes port fees and taxes as well as any pre-paid gratuity will be returned either way.

If you cancel and another cabin mate is still going they may I said May reprice at current rates for single supplement.

If you No Show you just are not refunded cruise fair, but get fees, taxes back

Again either way no additional charge like the $100 you mention

It sounds like you are trying to scope out different cruise line’s policies before booking because you know one of the two people sailing is at high risk of cancellation (last minute work, health, personal reasons or whatever).

You might want to talk to a good cruise travel agent about your specific situation.

if I were in that situation and booking with RCI, I would first consider whether there was an appropriate contingent traveler who could be prepared to step up if you could not go (name changes are allowed until 2-3 days before sailing.IIRC).  I’d also talk to the TA about all the travel insurance options; maybe your cancellation would be covered by the right policy.  You should get your port fees and taxes back whether you no-show or cancel.  I don’t know about re-pricing if you cancel one person (hope not to do that!)

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, moonjelly said:

Well, here's a cheery topic, sorry about that!

However, I anticipate that I may have to cancel my cruise, but won't know for sure until near sailing date.

How does RCI handle this? I know it would involve 100% forfeiture of cruise fare, but would I get my port taxes and fees refunded? Is there an additional penalty of $100 (or other amount) for the cancellation?

The other person in my cabin would still go.

If I don't get a refund of the port taxes and fees, should I just no-show to avoid a fee, if there is one?

I am comparing the policies of the various lines to see if one has a better policy than the others between Princess, NCL, Holland America, and RCI.

Thank you for any help you can provide.It is advice I need, but hope I won't have to use!

I would no show if someone isnt taking your place. Just leave the booking as it is. Your fees and taxes are automatically refunded to the card that paid them. 

I missed my jan 30th cruise and just no showed. No reason to cancel. I wouldnt get a refund by then. 

On 5/27/2023 at 7:52 PM, SPacificbound said:

It appears this is a hypothetical question.

The OP can buy insurance to cover the situations addressed, regardless of cruise line.

Curious because I have a very similar situation. My family is going on a cruise next week. One of my sons just broke up with his girlfriend and we are dropping her from the reservation. My TA said that they won't reprice him and we'll get fees, taxes, and gratuities back. I have trip insurance with "cancel for any reason" but I'm wondering how I'll recoup the rest. How will this all show in the paperwork to file the claim. Any insight will be appreciated.

8 minutes ago, SPacificbound said:

Have you contacted the company that you bought the "cancel for any reason" insurance from?

Not yet. You'd think I'd start there considering I'm the broker on the policy, but I'm waiting for my TA and RCI to make the change and see what that looks like.

On 6/2/2023 at 11:13 AM, SPacificbound said:

Have you contacted the company that you bought the "cancel for any reason" insurance from?

My TA had RCI send me a great cancellation letter that will hopefully ease the process. Clearly lays out the cancellation penalty and the amount of money withheld. I'm calling Allianz on Monday and will update.

Screenshot 2023-06-04 08.56.47.png