Carry On Own Luggage - Southampton Terminal

Jeter02

Pretty sure I know the answer, but I just wanted to triple check.... Can I carry on my own luggage onto the ship if I'm sailing out of the Southampton cruise port?

State side I  know it's not a problem at all. The only time I've ever encountered an issue where I physically had to hand my luggage over to be checked in was in Copenhagen, because the scanners were much too small for the luggage.

I had no problem doing so when I sailed out of Southampton last August.  My largest item was a rolling  suitcase that could be taken on an airplane.  The only issue beyond carry on was needing to keep it with me because the cabin decks were blocked off so couldn't drop it off in the cabin (boarded around 11).

Edited by SomewhereGirl
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I had no problem doing so when I sailed out of Southampton last August.  My largest item was a rolling  suitcase that could be taken on an airplane.  The only issue beyond carry on was needing to keep it with me because the cabin decks were blocked off so couldn't drop it off in the cabin (boarded around 11).

Thank you! That is indeed what I plan on taking is my normal carry-on that I would take on flights. I am one of those people where I have a system I like to carry my own luggage on go straight to the cabin quickly unpack and then my vacation has finally begun.

• Like 2

I have yet to encounter a scanner that won't accept a pullman-sized bag, but I have encountered shore-side port personnel who try to tell me that I can't carry my Pullman onto the ship myself.  When that happens, I ask to see a supervisor.  

The rub is they do not want people to try to carry on their bags and then get to the scanner and are unable to lift their own luggage onto the conveyor.

Sure, I'm in my 70s with some snow on the roof, but I'm fit and can still wrangle my own Pullman.  When I can't manage it, I'll check it.

• Like 1

I am no expert on luggage scanner technology (in fact the only knowledge I have is that it goes in one end and comes out the other) but it could be that the scanners at embarkation are only designed to scan small items and therefore cannot fully scan a large case.

Speaking strictly about the Mayflower Terminal in Southampton.

The x-ray scanners at passenger security don't have openings large enough to fit a suitcase larger than what is considered an airplane carry on.

In April on the Sky Princess, there were quite a few passengers who were made to turn around by the port agents and return curbside to drop off their suitcases at the checked baggage conveyor.  

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, SCX22 said:

The x-ray scanners at passenger security don't have openings large enough to fit a suitcase larger than what is considered an airplane carry on.

In April on the Sky Princess, there were quite a few passengers who were made to turn around by the port agents and return curbside to drop off their suitcases at the checked baggage conveyor.  

Oh wow! This is definitely helpful as the Mayflower terminal is where I'm supposed to embark on the sky. I mean I only travel with my carry-on luggage which always fits and they carry on department on the planes.

But I wonder if they're going to just look at it and be like nope. It does fit in one of those metal size racks at the airport where sometimes they make you put it in there to see if it actually fits the carry on dimensions. Do I'm hoping be fine 🤞

8 hours ago, MustangGT said:

We were unable to carry on our luggage last time at Southampton.  We had bags that would not be considered carry on for a flight but they also wouldn’t let us carry on our roller bags.

How big were your roller bags? At what point do they tell you it was a no-go? When you were inside by the scanners or before you even went in?

8 hours ago, SCX22 said:

That's good information. Thanks.  Was it indeed the case that the scanners are smaller or is it just the port personnel telling passengers that it is?  I ran into that at the port of Harwich several years ago.  They confiscated my bag, but then when I got to the scanner it was clear that it would fit. From then on, I ask to see a supervisor.

Signed,

One Who Has Been Fooled Before

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeter02 said:

How big were your roller bags? At what point do they tell you it was a no-go? When you were inside by the scanners or before you even went in?

The roller bags were legit for airlines, so not overly big.  We were told as soon as we walked into the terminal that we needed to go back outside and check all of our bags.

This was at the Ocean terminal.  Our cruise in a few weeks is at the Mayflower terminal but we will just plan to check it all.  I also like to take my bags onboard myself so the unpacking can begin!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MustangGT said:

The roller bags were legit for airlines, so not overly big.  We were told as soon as we walked into the terminal that we needed to go back outside and check all of our bags.

This was at the Ocean terminal.  Our cruise in a few weeks is at the Mayflower terminal but we will just plan to check it all.  I also like to take my bags onboard myself so the unpacking can begin!

What date is your boarding? I bored on the 17th of June at the Mayflower. I may have to wing it and test it by bringing it like I said what's the worst I could tell me to go check it in. Thank you so much for all your information as it is most helpful!

Just now, Jadn13 said:

I was curious about this as well as I only travel with a carry on bag and a back pack. (Don’t cruise till September)
I’m going to attempt it

Well I definitely can report back to you on the 17th of June when I attempt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

What date is your boarding? I bored on the 17th of June at the Mayflower. I may have to wing it and test it by bringing it like I said what's the worst I could tell me to go check it in. Thank you so much for all your information as it is most helpful!

We board the Island on June 29th. Happy Cruising!

• Like 1