Internet for Zoom on Panama cruise

nabizoom

As a digital nomad, I'm taking my first cruise with the intention of working at least the days at sea on Viking Mars, Dec 2023, from Ft. Lauderdale to LA via the Panama Canal. About half my connection-dependent work is chat (Slack) and about half is meetings (Zoom). I understand that the WiFi signal is important for this, and I have ways to address poor WiFi signals, but I'm interested in the ship's satellite service capabilities. I'm hoping to learn about Zoom experience from anyone with recent (within the last year, perhaps) on Viking Mars and/or this Panama Canal trip. Thanks for any info!

39 minutes ago, nabizoom said:

As a digital nomad, I'm taking my first cruise with the intention of working at least the days at sea on Viking Mars, Dec 2023, from Ft. Lauderdale to LA via the Panama Canal. About half my connection-dependent work is chat (Slack) and about half is meetings (Zoom). I understand that the WiFi signal is important for this, and I have ways to address poor WiFi signals, but I'm interested in the ship's satellite service capabilities. I'm hoping to learn about Zoom experience from anyone with recent (within the last year, perhaps) on Viking Mars and/or this Panama Canal trip. Thanks for any info!

The Mars may be better equipped now, if it has StarLink.  We did the Star on this cruise last Dec. Internet was so bad, no one really got anything done.

That being said, Viking also expressly asks guests not to Zoom, Stream, or anything like that in consideration of other guests.  I have heard that with the ships that have Starlink capabilities, things have improved, but have not heard Viking give the OK as of yet.   We are on the new Saturn soon and will see.

I guess it boils down to capability and consideration of other guests.

You could ask Viking but I'm sure they will say please don't do it.  But who knows.

All I know is that the few times I have FaceTimed my sister at home to check on things (she is house and pet sitting for us), the connection has been pretty sketchy.  At best, we get about 5 minutes before it cuts out.  That’s ok, just checking on things and that’s about all we need.  

The WiFi has been sketchy on most of the Viking ships and has been even worse on sea days.  In the stateroom descriptions, it says there is direct dial cell service and satellite service.  Folks who inadvertently used their cell phones with the ship's cell service have reported hundreds of dollars in charges.  Cell phones should be on airplane mode when on ship and cellular service only used if it is land based.  I would think that satellite service on ship would cost an arm and a leg plus your firstborn.  We had a satellite phone cruising on our sailboat for emergencies only because it was so costly.

Thank you for all the comments! I wasn't expecting this when I made my cruise reservation but the more I read, the more I feared this to be the situation.

I will plan for alternate ways to work and plan for zero Zooms when at sea.

2 hours ago, nabizoom said:

Even digital nomads deserve a real vacation from work. Enjoy you cruise as it sails on an ocean  and be sure to watch the sunsets and sunrise ! 

Edited by Azulann

34 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Even digital nomads deserve a real vacation from work. Enjoy you cruise as it sails on an ocean  and be sure to watch the sunsets and sunrise ! 

Ha. Thanks! I do take plenty of days off, but will be traveling and cruising too many days over the next couple of years to take them all off. I appreciate the perspective, though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nabizoom said:

Thank you for all the comments! I wasn't expecting this when I made my cruise reservation but the more I read, the more I feared this to be the situation.

Wise. You may have the odd pleasant surprise, but I have yet to find the cruise line that can offer reliable and consistent internet capability for onboard work. Starlink is not necessarily a magic solution - everything depends on the capacity that the cruise line chooses to purchase - and high capacity is expensive for them.🍺🥌

It may be that port days need to be planned for Free WiFi zones in Starbucks and libraries etc. ( bummer)

I understand that Portable Hotspots are an option for ships docked at/near land, but again, that may also depend on global positioning.  Choosing trips with a lot of sea days and overnights might work in your favor.  A high quality hotspot might get you boosted on sea days but that is something to research

I know one You Tube maven says her hot spot works best if the unit is near the ajar cabin door.  She trends towards inside cabins. I imagine a balcony room might give you the best of the world on a good, sunny day.  Sounds wonderful, I also wonder about areas like quiet lounges where signal might be a bit boosted?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Meander Ingwa said:

It may be that port days need to be planned for Free WiFi zones in Starbucks and libraries etc. ( bummer)

I understand that Portable Hotspots are an option for ships docked at/near land, but again, that may also depend on global positioning.  Choosing trips with a lot of sea days and overnights might work in your favor.  A high quality hotspot might get you boosted on sea days but that is something to research

I know one You Tube maven says her hot spot works best if the unit is near the ajar cabin door.  She trends towards inside cabins. I imagine a balcony room might give you the best of the world on a good, sunny day.  Sounds wonderful, I also wonder about areas like quiet lounges where signal might be a bit boosted?

Interesting!

I do remember a poster on Viking Cruise Critic forum telling how he found the wifi much better if he squeezed in near the cabin hall door.  He actually said it was better than the balcony.  But probably worth trying out both!

For me, I spotted a router right near the set of computers on Deck 1 by the Excursions desks.  Still not great, but better than the room.

Note:  Viking does NOT have inside cabins.