My View: Trading Seascape for Seaside Semi-Live

APDMOM

On 6/8/2023 at 9:39 PM, Lbsahm said:

We’re you able to get any photos from the lighthouse that got close ups on the bow cabin balconies?

This is the best one I have.  If you want me to zoom in to a specific area, let me know.  The original is very high quality - it can zoom in off CC.  Once on CC, the quality drops. 

IMG_6953.thumb.JPG.f0a3658edc823e96fc3daadc35e93a7d.JPG

5 hours ago, Fissues said:

IMG_7768.thumb.jpeg.56150e1e2805175b9bf1ca3cd8d3d88f.jpegIMG_7767.thumb.jpeg.a665772faff2c7ec568a890fa0451ffc.jpeg

Yes, there was always a nice list but what they actually were pouring varied tremendously. I had previously found the Mondavi chard quite serviceable, but was unable to get any in many attempts over three days at just about every bar. Mirassou was frequently poured instead, as was La Terre.

I like the Ravenswood Zin and tried to get it in the MDR but they poured something call Zin de Zin or some such instead. Not even close.

My Worst Cruise Day - I won't say NEVER, but I don't think I will sail MSC again - a lot will need to change:

This day was not our favorite at all - it may have been our least favorite ever at sea.  There was so much smoking going on on the balconies, and MSC really could not do anything meaningful.  I fact, we got falsely accused the previous night of smoking on one of our balconies, even though we cannot stand the smell of smoke and we SPECIFICALLY choose port side to avoid the smoking side (Starboard deck 8).  Smoking is never allowed on the balconies.  However, people got away with it.  The result of all the smoking was that we had limited use of our quiet balcony.  

I really got upset when we got a letter about 'evidence of smoking'.  When I went to inquire at guest services, they told us who had accused us.  They REALLY should not do this.  What if I reported smoking and the accused wanted to retaliate.  I simple wanted to know why we were accused.  If MSC had evidence, they should have presented it. They had no evidence because we do not smoke - they just had a false accusation and a form letter.  Guest services confessed that they did not smell smoke in our cabin nor did they have any evidence - just an accusation from another passenger.

IMG_7011.thumb.jpg.10bf13ca1c3506e6de4b9abfa25e811d.jpg

We opted to do self-assist walk off so that we could get home and do laundry for our next adventure.  We had breakfast around 6:30, left our cabin at 7:10, walked through the facial recognition without any problems (even for a foreign citizen from Namibia), then in the car by 7:30.  Easiest disembarkation ever!

The End of MSC for us:

What we had feared happened.  We enjoyed the first 7 days, but not near as much as our 'eclectic Eurpean' experience in 2019.  Too many things have changed, and MSC is no longer our favorite cruiseline.  

We loved:

• Ocean Cay - our favorite private island
  • Excellent service from room stewards to dining staff
  • Friendly crew
  • Being at sea is still our favorite vacation
  • Seaview lounge
  • Beautiful ship
  • The price we paid for this cruise was still excellent - those kinds of deals are not currently seen for future cruises.

The changes that are pushing us toward other cruiselines:

• Food is no longer healthy, varied, and delicious like in 2019
  • Music in all public areas was too loud, always irritating at sunrise/breakfast; Could not hear one another in the atrium or in the buffet due to loud music and passengers trying to be louder to speak over the music.
  • The party crowd has found MSC - the 4-day leg was the worst cruise experience we ever had.  MSC was ill equipped to deal with drunken crowds on days 1 and 4.  They were unable to decrease smoking on the balconies.  Large groups traveling together made it difficult for crew members to do their job. Passengers would come in a group and reach past the ropes to the closed buffet area to obtain food - crew did nothing to stop them.
  • Shows are no longer excellent and unique like in 2019 - dancing choreography is now typical of that you see on every other ship.  
  • Prices are now increasing to the point where the value is no longer the same - I would rather save longer to go on a Royal Caribbean cruise now that MSC quality has gone downhill while pricing is increasing.
  • Thanks 1

Seaside or Seascape?

After the 11 days, I would recommend either ship if the price is VERY cheap.  I would not recommend a shorter than 7-day cruise.  I would avoid the 'kids sail free' specials unless you have kids and benefit from the savings.

Seascape Wins in Areas of:

• Public area music
  • Buffet meals and variety
  • Consistency in food quality
  • Better smoke free lounges (Haven lounge on Seaside smelled like smoke a lot due to location by the aft pool smoking area)
  • Public space entertainers were better

Seaside Wins in Areas of:

• Overall quality of ship noise - better insulated cabins
  • Availability of a zipline
  • 2 buffets, location of Marketplace on deck 8

Final Thoughts:

We still enjoyed the cruise.  I wish I could still recommend MSC as heartily as before, but I can't.  This was more of a party ship experience, and we are not "party ship people".  We don't like that music played loudly until midnight in the atrium every night - our balcony location was bad for this.  

Seaside 2023 is a vastly different ship experience from our 2019 experience, when we fell in love with MSC.  We are no longer considering MSC Cruises - everything that pulled us toward this cruiseline has changed/disappeared.  Therefore, we will only cruise MSC if there is a GREAT deal that we cannot pass up.    

My Final Favorite View:  Family of the Seas will see you on Symphony of the Seas, November 2023 (DV).  Thanks for all the comments, likes, and assistance to keep me straight when I confused my starboard/port.  Thanks to fellow shipmates on our cruise for chiming in too! 😁

DSCN2185.thumb.JPG.c751f0bbbb31fbdab25c3bb9d371d7d7.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice observations and explanations of what worked for you and what did not work for you.  Unfortunately, the 4 day experience is pretty typical across all cruise lines because it doesn't take a lot of time or money, and for 4 days people aren't looking for adventurous travel but just a fun getaway. Not sure I can hold that against MSC entirely.  Although as a newer version of the Seaside I am skeptical of some of the improvements on Seascape enhancing vacations. I'll find out in a couple of weeks.  

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your detailed review.  We are trying MSC for the first time at the end of August on the 4-day Bahamas.  I really felt like you were really enjoying your cruise until your last couple of posts.  I, too, would be furious if I got the smoking letter…especially since the smokers ruined your balcony time AND they told you who reported you.  Not good!

We are NCL loyal…but their cuts in quality, entertainment and service while aggressively increasing price have caused us to look elsewhere.

would your opinion of cruising MSC again be different had you not done the 4-day extension?  

• Like 1

Yep, 4 days, this is typical behavior on most mainstream lines..Now if they did a real 11 day cruise, your experience would have been much better.  Your tone changed for sure when the 4 day started.  

Still, thanks for all the pics etc...sailing YC on Seaside in September,  7 days.  Just made final payment.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

Thank you for all the comments!  🙂 Yes, we are aware of the differences between 4 days and 7, except this was the worst it has ever been.  At the same time, we have not been on a “short” cruise since Brilliance of the Seas 2019.  It is helpful to hear from others how things have changed for other cruiselines too - it helps to try to keep things in perspective.  My main concern was the lack of support, action, and discretion by MSC staff.  

I hope the positives about the cruise stand out as the overall impression for those who have a cruise booked.  

We are still addicted to cruising, we just realize that our eclectic, cheap,  European MSC from 2019 is now more of a “Carnival” with fast increasing prices, and we will have to pay more for a different experience. We had it great for a while there! 😉

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Nice observations and explanations of what worked for you and what did not work for you.  Unfortunately, the 4 day experience is pretty typical across all cruise lines because it doesn't take a lot of time or money, and for 4 days people aren't looking for adventurous travel but just a fun getaway. Not sure I can hold that against MSC entirely.  Although as a newer version of the Seaside I am skeptical of some of the improvements on Seascape enhancing vacations. I'll find out in a couple of weeks.  

@LMaxwell Hope you have a fantastic time on Seascape! 🙂 Always honored to see one of the familiar long-time CC members here! 

12 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Yep, 4 days, this is typical behavior on most mainstream lines..Now if they did a real 11 day cruise, your experience would have been much better.  Your tone changed for sure when the 4 day started.  

Still, thanks for all the pics etc...sailing YC on Seaside in September,  7 days.  Just made final payment.  

Would love to hear about your yacht club experience! I usually skip over YC reviews since we didn’t want to spend that kind of money. I intend on reading up more about it for future plans. Right now, we look forward to returning to RCL on Symphony. 🙂

Do you have any recommendations for a person that uses a walker on the private island and/or ship? We are a family of 8 taking our 88 yr old parents, on realistically their last cruise, and want them to remember their fun times of cruising throughout their life. 

Also, are you able to put some minimal decorations on the doors to the cabin? We used to do this many years ago but thought it might help everyone remembering who is in what cabin.

Thank you for your review and any suggestions that you might have.

Quick question:  Did you see door decorations?   We are planning a four generation cruise in September.   During the planning time, a son has decided to get married the day before we leave.  I wanted to celebrate with a magnet or two.  Plus the original reason for the cruise was our kids wanted to celebrate us turning 60.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 4:51 AM, TurtleGirls said:

Do you have any recommendations for a person that uses a walker on the private island and/or ship? We are a family of 8 taking our 88 yr old parents, on realistically their last cruise, and want them to remember their fun times of cruising throughout their life. 

Also, are you able to put some minimal decorations on the doors to the cabin? We used to do this many years ago but thought it might help everyone remembering who is in what cabin.

Thank you for your review and any suggestions that you might have.

I am sorry for the late response!  I have been traveling out of the country and am just now catching up on CC.

There are paved walkways on the island that can be managed with a walker.  It depends on your grandparents’ fitness level.  I would recommend a call to MSC special needs to see if you can get a beach wheelchair, if it is something your grandparents will be open to.  The free shuttle will be helpful for longer distances.  If you want to stick to paved paths, there is very nice seating at the lighthouse bar where you can enjoy beautiful views of the ship and crystal clear water.  Here is a picture of that area from our 2019 cruise:

DSCN6771.thumb.jpeg.01cb978827dca6bfcdb160012c23e787.jpeg

As for the door decorations: Yes, you can decorate your door.  We purchased cheap signs and magnets at Dollar Tree, glued the magnets to the signs, and placed them on the doors of our cabins.  They are indeed handy to locate the room.  We find the magnets are the best so that it does not create extra work for the room steward to remove tape.  🙂

On 6/24/2023 at 9:06 AM, dce85 said:

Quick question:  Did you see door decorations?   We are planning a four generation cruise in September.   During the planning time, a son has decided to get married the day before we leave.  I wanted to celebrate with a magnet or two.  Plus the original reason for the cruise was our kids wanted to celebrate us turning 60.

Hello!  Sorry for the delayed response, as I have been out of the country.

Yes, our cruise had plenty of doors decorated, including our own.  We purchased cheap signs and magnets at Dollar Tree, glued the magnets to the signs, and placed them on the doors of our cabins.   We find the magnets are the best so that it does not create extra work for the room steward to remove tape. Happy cruising! 🙂