Drink Package and Tips

You are tipping for each drink with a package, it's just that each drink is discounted with the package, so the same percentage is less.

If a drink costs $10, and I tip 20%, it is $2. If tomorrow that drink is discounted to$5, and I still tip 20%, I only tip $1. I don't raise my tip to 40% because management is running a special. 

22 hours ago, cruisegus said:

The crew is very happy with the gratuities from the drink package, they like management know most drink package purchasers are right around the break even point, yes a few go way over but it is very few. 

In addition if people were not purchasing the package in the belief that they were getting a little extra they would not even be purchasing a la carte the number of drink the package assumes, this would inevitably lead to a loss in pool revenue for the bar tenders.

Bar tenders love the guaranteed pool income from the drink packages rather that relying on A la Carte purchases

They love the auto grats on the individually purchased drinks

I'll preface this by saying that I normally do give the bartender an extra buck or two if the service is great and heck, I tip the cabin steward $20 upfront to make sure they are attentive to our needs.   But with that said, I think if tips are include, that should be ALL anyone is obligated to tip and if your service suffers because you don't tip them extra, that should told to management.   By tipping a little extra, we sort of expect the service we SHOULD be getting since they are tipped already and not better service because we tipped  extra.  It's funny because we Americans are so used to tipping (for it seems like everything) that when tips are included many of us still feel obligated to tip more.  In Europe, tipping is mostly unheard of.  Why?  Because people's livings don't depend on tips.  They pay them fairly.   And it's an excuse for management here in this country to pay them less than what they deserve because they will make it up in "tips".

28 minutes ago, steveknj said:

I'll preface this by saying that I normally do give the bartender an extra buck or two if the service is great and heck, I tip the cabin steward $20 upfront to make sure they are attentive to our needs.   But with that said, I think if tips are include, that should be ALL anyone is obligated to tip and if your service suffers because you don't tip them extra, that should told to management.   By tipping a little extra, we sort of expect the service we SHOULD be getting since they are tipped already and not better service because we tipped  extra.  It's funny because we Americans are so used to tipping (for it seems like everything) that when tips are included many of us still feel obligated to tip more.  In Europe, tipping is mostly unheard of.  Why?  Because people's livings don't depend on tips.  They pay them fairly.   And it's an excuse for management here in this country to pay them less than what they deserve because they will make it up in "tips".

Service charges that are used in Europe is a fancy way for saying "tip". 

7 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Service charges that are used in Europe is a fancy way for saying "tip". 

Perhaps, but it's more in the way the cruise lines do it as opposed to how Americans do it.  And nobody in Europe, despite the service charge feels like they have to top more.

Just now, steveknj said:

Perhaps, but it's more in the way the cruise lines do it as opposed to how Americans do it.  And nobody in Europe, despite the service charge feels like they have to top more.

I don't know that it's that clear cut. After reading many threads on here it's clear that some tipping is expected in many countries, even if it isn't the same level as here in the US. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't know that it's that clear cut. After reading many threads on here it's clear that some tipping is expected in many countries, even if it isn't the same level as here in the US. 

That's true, and in others, it's not expected at all, and in still others, it's actually frowned upon.  It's a cultural thing for sure.  With that said, it's gotten out of hand in the US.   I'm in my 60s and there are things we are "expected" to tip for that was never expected before.  Things like going to a counter to order food is one.  But, for example, if you go to a restaurant with a large party and they throw an automatic tip on to the bill, do they expect you to tip more?  That's kind of how I feel about cruise tipping.  I like the pre-paid tipping on cruises.  I remember the first cruise I took, I had to hand out envelopes to cabin steward, to waiters and so forth.  Now it's just handled.  But like I said, I feel that if someone goes above and beyond, then a little extra doesn't hurt, and I've also found giving the cabin steward a little extra means they will give me a little extra service and come more quickly.  But it shouldn't really be that way.

1 hour ago, steveknj said:

I don't think you have to tip extra to get good service. The included gratuities are plenty.

You might get "better" service if you throw money around, but that's everywhere.

• Like 1

The package says that gratuity is included, so you don't have to give them anything extra. But they do print a slip for you to sign with each drink, and I always write $1 in for an additional tip. The package also says no sharing, and so they're not required to let you share, but the impression that I got was that the bartenders loved it that I was doing the gesture of throwing in that extra $1, and that they did not seem to notice at all on the few occasions that I decided to share a bit. 

13 hours ago, steveknj said:

That's true, and in others, it's not expected at all, and in still others, it's actually frowned upon.  It's a cultural thing for sure.  With that said, it's gotten out of hand in the US.   I'm in my 60s and there are things we are "expected" to tip for that was never expected before.  Things like going to a counter to order food is one.  But, for example, if you go to a restaurant with a large party and they throw an automatic tip on to the bill, do they expect you to tip more?  That's kind of how I feel about cruise tipping.  I like the pre-paid tipping on cruises.  I remember the first cruise I took, I had to hand out envelopes to cabin steward, to waiters and so forth.  Now it's just handled.  But like I said, I feel that if someone goes above and beyond, then a little extra doesn't hurt, and I've also found giving the cabin steward a little extra means they will give me a little extra service and come more quickly.  But it shouldn't really be that way.

I've done it both ways and while the sample size is small there was no discernable difference in the service received whether I tipped before or after. Folks working for tips can always expect all they want but if the gratuities are included in anything that is all that is really required. Yes, tip jars have appeared in a variety of places but again, it's up to each customer to leave something or not leave something as they choose. In this cashless society it's often leave nothing for me because DW doesn't let me leave the house with cash. One of our sons used to work as a sandwich artist and the tip jar was divvied up once a month. He got about $60 to $80 extra a month from it. Nothing to write home about, for someone who is earning minimum wage a welcome addition to the income.

11 minutes ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

18% is considered "a very small tip"? 😵

Some people think it is our responsibility to put the employee's children through braces, not just give a monetary "thank you". Or at least that's what they say. I always wonder what the braggarts actually put in that little folio they hand over at the bar when the rubber meets the road.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

Except you can't get 20 drinks in a day. 😉

Sure you can, just not with alcohol in them. Since they are covered under the package they should be included in any calculation regarding tip per drink (and many do when figuring out if Cheers is "worth it" for them). Even though I don't exactly agree with the previous poster's analysis I do understand the point she is trying to make.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

Considering you can only get a max of 15 alcohol drinks in a day, I believe your math is off. Not to mention, popping the top off a bottle of beer takes about 2 seconds. $9 a day is a gracious amount of tip IMO, especially since they get the same amount of tip whether you get 5 drinks or 15 drinks.

And they get a share of that $9 from every cruiser on the ship who bought Cheers. And probably a share of the 18% that is added to a la carte drink purchases as well. They're well taken care of. Tip more if you wish, but don't fool yourself into thinking you must because they're inadequately compensated. They're certainly not Rockefellers but neither are we.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 1:48 PM, Elaine5715 said:

That wasn't the point.  People still think they are tipping 18% on the cost of each individual drink like when charged individually.  Guests are saving more on gratuities than drink costs via CHEERS. I was mortified when I realized it.   

That is really dependent on the cost per drink and number of drinks per day.

If you average 5 beers per day - the Cheers gratuity would be MORE than you'd spend in gratuity buying the drinks individually.

tip_savings.JPG

4 hours ago, aborgman said:

That is really dependent on the cost per drink and number of drinks per day.

If you average 5 beers per day - the Cheers gratuity would be MORE than you'd spend in gratuity buying the drinks individually.

tip_savings.JPG

That was covered in prior posts.  Alot of mathing for $1

16 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

Except you can't get 20 drinks in a day. 😉

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Sure you can, just not with alcohol in them. Since they are covered under the package they should be included in any calculation regarding tip per drink (and many do when figuring out if Cheers is "worth it" for them). Even though I don't exactly agree with the previous poster's analysis I do understand the point she is trying to make.

My simple latte order takes more prep than a glass of wine

33 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

That was covered in prior posts.  Alot of mathing for $1

1) I haven't seen anyone lay out the actual numbers in prior posts. In fact - there is not a single post in this thread that lays out break even points based on drink numbers and average drink cost.

2) That was about 15 seconds of data entry, no mathing involved

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, aborgman said:

1) I haven't seen anyone lay out the actual numbers in prior posts. In fact - there is not a single post in this thread that lays out break even points based on drink numbers and average drink cost.

2) That was about 15 seconds of data entry, no mathing involved

Because we all know where to find drink package calculators?  

https://cruisespotlight.com/drink-package-calculator/ 

https://www.cruzely.com/cruise-line-drink-package-calculator/ 

https://www.cruisemummy.co.uk/cruise-drinks-package-calculator/ 

https://cruisetipstv.com/estimator/

22 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Yes... and none of the drink calculators provide the information I posted.

My post shows how much you save/spend IN GRATUITIES vs. drink cost and drinks per day.
Drink calculators show how much you save/spend TOTAL vs. drink cost and drinks per day.

...and for any given savings, the amount saved on the actual drinks is always more than the amount saved on gratuity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aborgman said:

Yes... and none of the drink calculators provide the information I posted.

My post shows how much you save/spend IN GRATUITIES vs. drink cost and drinks per day.
Drink calculators show how much you save/spend TOTAL vs. drink cost and drinks per day.

...and for any given savings, the amount saved on the actual drinks is always more than the amount saved on gratuity.

It doesn't.  

3 hours ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

Actually, no , we all don't know those sites. I personally have never been to one of them. Of course, with pencil and paper handy, I don't need a calculator to do what my brain can do.

Now, you do.  You are welcome

• Haha 1