tips on drinks?

jenniferCP

In some cases it could be that they just prefer to stiff the help, and this way they can't.

;)

-Monte

Sadly there are many who feel they've paid enough for their cruise and shouldn't have to tip too. The idea of stiffing the staff who work so hard, and such long hours, simply makes me sick. :(

Sadly there are many who feel they've paid enough for their cruise and shouldn't have to tip too. The idea of stiffing the staff who work so hard, and such long hours, simply makes me sick. :(

Agreed! But I do chuckle at some of the reasons I've seen people post on the boards to justify doing it.

-Monte

Agreed! But I do chuckle at some of the reasons I've seen people post on the boards to justify doing it.

-Monte

Then you're far more dignified than I - usually I burst out laughing and then shake my head in wonder. :rolleyes:

Little wonder you and I are of one mind on yet another issue. Further proof you are my brother from another mother! :p

I am personally agianst automatic "tipping".

There are situations where I understand this model, a cruise ship for example. But I think it should be a cost of doing business, instead of charging $6 a drink charge $7 a drink, pay the wait staff more, and let it be known that tipping is not encouraged nor expected but the staff are able to accept tips for excellent service.

If someone wants to leave an extra tip, great, but now it is really a tip for good service and not a surcharge.

I do not go in to an electronic store and expect my receipt to read:

DVD Player - $100

Salesman Salary - $3

Cashiers Salary - $2

Total - $105

They both helped me, got me what I needed, and were polite, but the cost of those employees was worked into the $100 price of the DVD player.

Don't get me wrong, wait staff deserved to be paid well, and should always be tipped more for good service but an automatic tip you have no control over is just paying their salary IMO.

falken, I do understand your way of thinking. However, the folks who work in a retail store are paid a much larger hourly wage than the folks who serve food and beverage on land or at sea. Wage structures for these jobs are completely different, and as such, they rely on our tips.

The "auto" tips are pooled, and each server, bartender, etc. receive a portion of those tips. If you feel the service was extra-special, your cash tip goes directly into the pocket of the individual.

Whether they charge a higher price for the drink, or add the nominal gratuity, in the end it all works out to the same thing. ;)

Then you're far more dignified than I - usually I burst out laughing and then shake my head in wonder. :rolleyes:

Hi Sis ;)

I try not to burst out laughing unless I'm looking in a mirror

-Monte

After reading this post for days I need to comment. I did not know at 1st but the staff are NOT paid any salary. Not even the small amt. paid in the USA for servers. With freestyle the dining rooms are open longer hours and they now work more hours for prob. nnot anywhere close to what they got before. The cruise lines on most ships DO NOT share all of what we pay with them. I know this as I have had a number of conversations with the staff. If we go and ask for it not to be automatically charged then the staff gets in trouble and has to work even longer and many times not being allowed off the ship in Miami. I know that they need this job as there are others from their country trying to get their job. How interesting it is that NCL isn't even calling it tipping but a "service charge"

Gee, I get the feeling you missed the wink at the end of my post.

LOL

-Monte

Hi Monte,

No, I saw it and I thought your post was totally funny. I guess I should have used a smiley too. BTW, I don't have a clue how to use smiles in the message area. I only know how to put them in the title. Did I sound serious with my post? If I did, I didn't mean it. I was trying to keep the humor going... which I'm usually not very good at in person, much less writing. Your post was all in fun, right???

I am personally agianst automatic "tipping".

There are situations where I understand this model, a cruise ship for example. But I think it should be a cost of doing business, instead of charging $6 a drink charge $7 a drink, pay the wait staff more, and let it be known that tipping is not encouraged nor expected but the staff are able to accept tips for excellent service.

If someone wants to leave an extra tip, great, but now it is really a tip for good service and not a surcharge.

I do not go in to an electronic store and expect my receipt to read:

DVD Player - $100

Salesman Salary - $3

Cashiers Salary - $2

Total - $105

They both helped me, got me what I needed, and were polite, but the cost of those employees was worked into the $100 price of the DVD player.

Don't get me wrong, wait staff deserved to be paid well, and should always be tipped more for good service but an automatic tip you have no control over is just paying their salary IMO.

Pepper might understand it but I don't. It is a relief though because now I don't have to tip my waiter/bartender/paper person, etc :rolleyes:

Hi Monte, , I don't have a clue how to use smiles in the message area. I only know how to put them in the title.

icon3.gifGo to Quick Links on the bar top of page, edit options, bottom of page change to enhanced editor. Smiles will appear to the right of the reply box. Good luck:) icon4.gificon14.gif

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon3.gifGo to Quick Links on the bar top of page, edit options, bottom of page change to enhanced editor. Smiles will appear to the right of the reply box. Good luck:) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon4.gifhttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Oh my gosh, I have a new toy today.:) :) And, now I see all these other options too. I don't think I'll get any real work done today.:eek:

Your post was all in fun, right???

No it wasn't ;) . Now before any English students jump all over me, I meant that to be a double negative. LOL

I guess from you past and future cruises you think my choice of the Star to Alaska was a good one!

-Monte

w.c. fields walks into a bar--

wc: did i get drunk and spend a $20 bill in here last night?

bartender: why yes you did.

wc: thank god, i thought i lost it.

long after this vacation/cruise you will never remember what you tipped and when and who. but you will have the memories of a great time...unlike w.c.

Archived