Aboard the Sun 6/2

Dev D

Hello All,

Arrived on the Sun. Staffing seems low as others have reporters biggest current issue is many guests are unable to open the doors to their cabins. All having to then stand in line to have cards re-keyed. 
this is not an optimal start. Fingers crossed the toilets work. The interiors of cabins are showing significant wear I supposed that's to be expected for a ship this age. Looking forward to Alaska and hoping all safe travels for here in.

3 hours ago, Dev D said:

The interiors of cabins are showing significant wear I supposed that's to be expected for a ship this age.

Didn't the Sun just undergo a significant refurb?

If you have time, please post your impressions of the smaller musical acts on board.  Our next scheduled cruise is on the Sun this summer.  Thanks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Didn't the Sun just undergo a significant refurb?

If you have time, please post your impressions of the smaller musical acts on board.  Our next scheduled cruise is on the Sun this summer.  Thanks.

If you are asking about the contracted singers performing in the theater, they change every cruise.  On our last night, they had the "Divas" which were 3 of the female singers who normally perform in the smaller venues.  They put on a superb performance (one admitted it was her first time on stage!), I don't know about their performances elsewhere.

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

If you are asking about the contracted singers performing in the theater, they change every cruise. 

I know that they rotate from time to time, but do they really change every cruise?  I wasn't asking about the theater specifically; more the various lounges/bars.

44 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I know that they rotate from time to time, but do they really change every cruise?  I wasn't asking about the theater specifically; more the various lounges/bars.

The lounge/bar entertainers do have longer contracts so are probably there for 2-3 months. I don't remember exactly what they told us (behind the scenes tour) - and it may vary by act.

The individual performers that are hired for the main theater shows are often just on for 1 cruise, although some do stay for multiple cruises. And they might not even stay onboard for the entire cruise.

The production cast usually has about a 6 month contract I think, although I don't know if that's the time onboard or includes the time they spend in Miami learning the routines, etc.  They stay together as a group for the most part.  So there are always entertainers coming and going!

14 hours ago, Dev D said:

Hello All,

Arrived on the Sun. Staffing seems low as others have reporters biggest current issue is many guests are unable to open the doors to their cabins. All having to then stand in line to have cards re-keyed. 
this is not an optimal start. Fingers crossed the toilets work. The interiors of cabins are showing significant wear I supposed that's to be expected for a ship this age. Looking forward to Alaska and hoping all safe travels for here in.

Wishing you an awesome cruise!  Hope the internet is good enough that you will be able to check in and tell us how it goes a few times.

11 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Would you please share the dailies?  On the sun in a few weeks and contemplating the sea day activities….

how was the behind the scenes tour, btw?

I copied the schedule from the 2 sea days that we had. Rest of the itinerary would be different.freestyle.pdf

I did both the free latitudes tour and the paid one - both were very interesting and informative. The head chef, the stage manager and the laundry supervisor are all very passionate about their jobs, very talkative.

Engine control room (lots of computer screens to look at) and bridge were on the paid tour. No captain while we were there but the designated whale-lookout was definitely on duty (they do have to divert if they know there are whales in their direct path). And we got our picture taken, chefs hat and all, in the galley.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Sun about 8 months ago and thought the ship was fine except that you could smell sewage in some areas of the ship. We still booked her for one of the last Alaska cruises this October. 

Edited by fastpitchdad

So the good... the scenery is beautiful. Much more serene than I even anticipated. The staff for the most part is very kind and seriously overworked.

This essentially means that service is impaired- before I get bombarded with all kinds of criticism- I realize this is a system issue major cruise line wide.

Our room was not clean when we were able to enter. Hair in drawers, screws loose in bathroom panels and on drawers. Worst for us was when we went to get into bed and our sheets and comforter smelled- you don't want to know what. Had the whole bed pillows etc changed out.

We have encountered significant lines for both dinner and now a 45 minute line to disembark which was difficult for the disabled worried about their excursions.

Food is mostly from frozen including pastries. Again, not unique to NCL. My parents who are not hard to please left the first night of show.

So far is the cruise worth it. Yes, will we ever take NCL again nope.

We will certainly have a good time, but unfortunately cruising has become less pleasurable. I am 1000 certain there is someone on this same ship who is having the best time of their life. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't judge the cruise line based on a single ship on a single cruise. We just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the Getaway last month, and our experience was the opposite of yours. We have in fact, just booked another Cruise on the Viva in March. Our stateroom was very clean and everything worked fine. There were lines to disembark (normal), but never more than a few minutes. Not everything was 100% perfect, but I have yet to hear of any cruise where it was.

9 hours ago, omahabob said:

I wouldn't judge the cruise line based on a single ship on a single cruise. We just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the Getaway last month, and our experience was the opposite of yours. We have in fact, just booked another Cruise on the Viva in March. Our stateroom was very clean and everything worked fine. There were lines to disembark (normal), but never more than a few minutes. Not everything was 100% perfect, but I have yet to hear of any cruise where it was.

Welcome to CC.  Maybe visit the four page Dawn dirty room thread.

Getaway a nine yo ship, viva will be six months give or take and Sun 23 years although big drydock two years ago. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 8:31 PM, YVRteacher said:

NCL bakes their pastries from scratch daily.  They are not frozen.

I disagree with the "from scratch" part. If you mean baked daily from frozen dough/shell, or cake mix fine. Every cruise line does this even the higher-end ones.

Staff have been generally friendly, hardworking. Only once did I hear staff complaining about people who lingered too long in the dining room. Of note all staff a couple of days ago started masking up. Upon start of cruise it was hit or miss.

I had heard that having a balcony was imperative on an Alaska cruise. I'm going to guess the caveat is when the season is in full swing. IMO based on the cost of excursions in Alaska, you could save by getting an ocean view and spend the rest on excursions.

If you are a person who is always cold invest in long underwear. DM did not heed my warning and has not been able to tolerate the outdoors even with two layers of pants and three jackets.

Had great food off the boat in Sitka "Red herring " and "Oso Gordito" in Hoonah both food trucks..

Did the UTV tour in Skagway that was good. Have to factor in about 3 hours of travel to and from Haines.

The views of Alaska make this a must do experience. At the end of the day I would love to come back, just on a different cruise line (we prefer smaller ships up to 800 pax)

Have you done the Behind the Scenes tour?   It takes you to the galley and often includes the bakery where you can see the pastries being made from scratch.  NCL bakes all their rolls and pastries daily.  From scratch.

• Like 1