Booking Flight, Hotel and Transfers Through HAL

doone

4 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

We will be flying to Amsterdam in August, but the ship leaves from Rotterdam.  Having never seen Amsterdam, we will be staying there for three days before taking a cab to Rotterdam.  Since the departure city is not Amsterdam, we are out of luck, I assume?  BTW, how did you like the Movenpick?  Was it convenient for bus, train, subway, canal tours, etc?

You could make your way back to the Amsterdam airport, and pretend you are just arriving, then take the HAL transfer to Rotterdam. 

I have done this many times in many cities. I just use my flight information as to flight number and time of arrival, just changing the date to the embarkation date when booking the transfer to Rotterdam. 
When arriving, pay attention to where the HAL representative is meeting those who are sailing that day, and head back there when it's your day to transfer. 

• Like 2

Doone, perhaps it's because I have flown to Vancouver many times that I have developed a comfort level to heading there for a cruise without any involvement with HAL for flights, hotels, and getting to the port, but here is my suggestion: 

Check the options and costs for preferred flights, hotels, and transfers. Some hotels will necessitate a transfer to the port on embarkation day, while others are right there and will send your luggage to the ship for you. 
Boston to Vancouver is an easy enough flight to book on your own, as is getting a taxi to a downtown hotel. The time zone difference heading west is in your favor, but is also tiring. However, if you take the 8:00 AM flight, you can arrive late morning; there are some non-stop flights from Logan, making it very easy. 

Decide what is easier for you, comparing how much you want to spend on 'easier', then decide which---if any---pieces you want HAL to take care of. 
Remember, British Columbia speaks the same language, so that part is easy. 

11 hours ago, RuthC said:

Doone, perhaps it's because I have flown to Vancouver many times that I have developed a comfort level to heading there for a cruise without any involvement with HAL for flights, hotels, and getting to the port, but here is my suggestion: 

Check the options and costs for preferred flights, hotels, and transfers. Some hotels will necessitate a transfer to the port on embarkation day, while others are right there and will send your luggage to the ship for you. 
Boston to Vancouver is an easy enough flight to book on your own, as is getting a taxi to a downtown hotel. The time zone difference heading west is in your favor, but is also tiring. However, if you take the 8:00 AM flight, you can arrive late morning; there are some non-stop flights from Logan, making it very easy. 

Decide what is easier for you, comparing how much you want to spend on 'easier', then decide which---if any---pieces you want HAL to take care of. 
Remember, British Columbia speaks the same language, so that part is easy. 

Thank you RuthC, that sounds easy enough!!!

Edited by doone
  • Thanks 1

Ruth C, which airlines do y,ou see non stop flights from Logan to Vancouver?  I thought I looked hard enough but didn’t find any on the airlines I normally check.  You give great information….thanks!

Barbara M. In NH

14 hours ago, RuthC said:

You could make your way back to the Amsterdam airport, and pretend you are just arriving, then take the HAL transfer to Rotterdam. 

I have done this many times in many cities. I just use my flight information as to flight number and time of arrival, just changing the date to the embarkation date when booking the transfer to Rotterdam. 
When arriving, pay attention to where the HAL representative is meeting those who are sailing that day, and head back there when it's your day to transfer. 

Thanks, Ruth.  Great idea!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Avery's Gram said:

Ruth C, which airlines do y,ou see non stop flights from Logan to Vancouver?  I thought I looked hard enough but didn’t find any on the airlines I normally check.  You give great information….thanks!

Barbara M. In NH

Try this website: 
https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search 
Enter your search criteria, and play away to your heart's content. 

I tried it last night for Doone's routing, using made up dates for this July. 
Not all airlines are on the site (such as Southwest, for example), but it has a generous selection of airlines. 

• Like 1

If you can handle your luggage, taking the train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam is not difficult, takes about 40 min and costs around $20 per person.  Once in Rotterdam, you can simply grab a taxi to the port.  A taxi will cost significantly more, but is also a decent option.  In our experience, booking hotels and transfers through cruise lines costs about twice the price of doing it on one's own.  And when you choose your own hotel you can usually get a nicer hotel in a better location that what is used by many cruise lines.

Hank

On 6/3/2023 at 9:08 AM, doone said:

This is all great information, but I am trying to figure out if we should book air, hotel and transfers through HAL vs. doing it on our own, any thoughts?

We just did Alaska a few weeks ago and used Hal for our airfare and transfer from the ship to Anchorage Airport. We booked the Pan Pacific hotel through our travel agent at a much better price than the cruise line. As far as transportation from the airport if you are able to walk a few blocks with your luggage the Skytrain is a good option to downtown, cheaper and faster than buses and taxis.

A few months ago I had a devil of a time getting to Buenos Aires.  I booked my own airfare.  When I was telling someone on the cruise my tale of woe, they said if I had booked everything thru HAL they would have assisted me.  I asked if she and her husband used Flight Ease.  She said no, they booked thru HAL.  So is Flight Ease the same as booking on your own, and booking thru HAL is something different?  

I'm an experienced cruiser, but have only recently started taking some of the more exotic and longer itineraries that require more complex arrangements.  This is new territory for me.

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

A few months ago I had a devil of a time getting to Buenos Aires.  I booked my own airfare.  When I was telling someone on the cruise my tale of woe, they said if I had booked everything thru HAL they would have assisted me.  I asked if she and her husband used Flight Ease.  She said no, they booked thru HAL.  So is Flight Ease the same as booking on your own, and booking thru HAL is something different?  

I'm an experienced cruiser, but have only recently started taking some of the more exotic and longer itineraries that require more complex arrangements.  This is new territory for me.

Flight Ease is HAL’s contracted service.    I used the whole package in Buenos Aires and had a great experience.   I booked air, hotel and tours.  Since we were the only ones who did we had private drivers and guides throughout.  What first looked expensive turned out to be an excellent value.  Even my transfers included city tours, gratis. 

• Like 1

@Mary229, did you book your own flights using FE or did HAL arrange the whole package?  I'm still confused when you say you booked it.  Booked it on your own, thru a TA, or a PCC?  

I am new with HAL and have not done this. However, I did something with NCL. They have an air promotion, so I booked that through NCL. I booked the hotel on my own, but chose the NCL hotel at a lower rate. I felt comfortable that NCL had already done the leg work (Barcelona) for a safe and comfortable location. We couldn't take advantage of the NCL transfer to the port from the hotel, but a taxi was easily arranged at the hotel. We had trouble connecting with our privately arranged airport to hotel transfer; but he eventually found us.

In Athens I booked my own hotel and transfer and again had trouble connecting with my airport transfer. Ended up getting a cancellation and refund electronically before leaving the airport (good customer responsiveness). NCL rep gave us great advice on using a city bus and taxi to our hotel. That worked well, but wouldn't be for everyone. Bottom line, life would have been much simpler booking it all through the cruise line. Fun fact: the hotel I selected in Athens(Hyatt) was actually being used by HAL too.

For a trip outside of the US I think booking via the cruise line offers some simplicity. If I am simply flying to Florida for an overnight before a cruise I'd probably book it all myself, unless there was a promotion making the cruise line deal the better option.

Not HAL, but I hope the perspective is helpful.

Edited by Nola26
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roz said:

@Mary229, did you book your own flights using FE or did HAL arrange the whole package?  I'm still confused when you say you booked it.  Booked it on your own, thru a TA, or a PCC?  

My Travel agent arranged the hotel and advanced tours, I did the flights.  If you have an agent that you like they get a commission if you booked the advanced tours at booking.  The hotel comes with the transfers.  You can book the hotels and flights from you manage your cruise page.  If you have more questions let me know.  DH needs momentary assistance with a project. 

I just booked a cruise departing Rotterdam.  Here is the transfer scoop direct from guest relations . 

if you transfer from the airport to Rotterdam it is $39 a person,  not a bad price considering taxi costs in Amsterdam.  If you want to transfer from Amsterdam to Rotterdam you pay only $29 per person but you must meet the transfer at the Movenpick. 

BTW, Movenpick offers a very hearty breakfast that we enjoy. 

Edited by Mary229

@Mary229, thanks for the clarification.  I think I've got it.  When I've looked at the HAL hotels they seem to be really expensive for a solo.  I may have to take another look.  

In Amsterdam I stay at the Doubletree Centraal Station.  I believe it's near the Movenpick.

1 minute ago, Roz said:

@Mary229, thanks for the clarification.  I think I've got it.  When I've looked at the HAL hotels they seem to be really expensive for a solo.  I may have to take another look.  

In Amsterdam I stay at the Doubletree Centraal Station.  I believe it's near the Movenpick.

Yes, it is very close.  You could get an Uber between the doubletree and Movenpick for under $10.  The $29 transfer to Rotterdam is a steal