Brazil reintroduces visa requirement for US tourists, others

mnocket

Brazil is reintroducing the requirement to obtain tourist visas for citizens of the U.S., Australia, Canada, and Japan starting Oct. 1, the foreign ministry said.

https://apnews.com/article/brazil-us-tourism-visas-lula-bolsonaro-e206025994b64fa5695484b99a807971

Supposedly we will be able to obtain a visa from the Brazilian government website, but no option currently exists.  Does anyone have any specific information about US citizens obtaining a Brazilian visa?

I have the same concern. I posted this on a Facebook group I’m in but no replies yet.

Hi,
For those US citizens cruising to Brazil later this year, after Oct 1, 2023, have you gone through the new visa process?

At the moment US citizens can visit Brazil with nothing more than a US passport since they dropped the Brazil eVisa in 2019.

However, starting on Oct 1, 2023, Brazil is reinstating a visa requirement for US citizens which seems complex compared to how it used to be with the eVisa.

When we last visited/cruised to Brazil in 2018, we were able to obtain an evisa almost immediately online.

Now it seems they want a lot of documentation such as:
Proof of paid accommodation
Proof of financial resources
Proof of onward or return ticket

I'm wondering if anyone here has gone through this process for a post Oct 1, 2023 cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the exact reason we cancelled. Our cruise was to be December with a final payment due July.

You can’t even apply for a visa till at least Oct 1. They say it could take 2-3 months to get the visa. 

We canceled. Screw them. They want to make the process as difficult as the US makes it on them.

They already said they won’t do that. They said they are going to have reciprocal arrangements with several countries who make it difficult on Brazilians. 

They don’t want to make it easy since we don’t make it easy on them.

Again that’s why we canceled. They have been hinting at a several month long process possibly requiring a face to face interview.

I'm not worried about it enough to cancel, as it will all get sorted. Even if the system for eVisas doesn't get completed in time, I'll use mail in or present in person to an embassy/consulate, it will work out. Without the online eVisa, the system for obtaining Brazilian visas is currently running at 10 business days, so it likely will get shorter.

The last official communication from the Brazilian Government was at teh beginning of June saying that they were taking bids from companies to build the eVisa online system. Another possible scenario is that the entire process will get postponed from October 1 2023 to a later date like January 1 2024, as happens often with government changes in travel protocol. 

Some visas are notably more difficult to obtain, frustrating, expensive (Bolivia during Covid, Vietnam multi-entry, China anytime, etc), but usually get worked out.

I'm just keeping my eyes on it in the hopes that a shortcut appears, or it gets pushed back to a later date. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2023 at 8:04 AM, terry&mike said:

So one on our roll call just posted an update on the Brazil visa for US citizens requirement being postponed until 10 January 2024 - very good news!

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/embaixada-camberra/English/consular-section/visas/visit-visa

Yes I saw that.  However, the other dates mentioned don't make much sense and the Brazilian government hasn't issued a press release on this change yet.  I do wonder if this was prematurely posted by the IT department?  At any rate, this delay serves me well as I'm traveling to Brazil in December. 

11 hours ago, mnocket said:

Yes I saw that.  However, the other dates mentioned don't make much sense and the Brazilian government hasn't issued a press release on this change yet.  I do wonder if this was prematurely posted by the IT department?  At any rate, this delay serves me well as I'm traveling to Brazil in December. 

The dates make sense if you consider they are written in the more European tradition of day/month/year. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 2:45 PM, mnocket said:

But it still seems that you can't apply yet. I'm flying there at the end of January. Does anyone have any additional info?

52 minutes ago, pistachio said:

But it still seems that you can't apply yet. I'm flying there at the end of January. Does anyone have any additional info?

"The Brazilian Government has postponed the coming into force of the visa requirement for citizens from Australia, Canada, and the United States of America."

It seems the visa requirement has been postponed until January 10th, 2024.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/embaixada-camberra/English/consular-section/visas/visit-visa

Doesn't help you since you are going at the end of January, but it seems to be an acknowledgement that they don't have the Evisa program ready yet. 

3 hours ago, mnocket said:

"The Brazilian Government has postponed the coming into force of the visa requirement for citizens from Australia, Canada, and the United States of America."

It seems the visa requirement has been postponed until January 10th, 2024.

Doesn't help you since you are going at the end of January, but it seems to be an acknowledgement that they don't have the Evisa program ready yet.