The "dope" on diabetic dope?

3Shelaghs

Never had to worry about transporting diabetic needs that require cooling. How do you do it?? I bought those freezer tubes to insert into it's little carrier, but will these stay cool for 3hrs pre-flight + 8 hr flight then getting to hotel ? I don't want to go down the portable freezer unit equipment.

Wouldn't normally carry extra med, but now being encouraged to do so for pen failure etc. It's the extra med that needs to be kept cool until opening.

Do these little freezer tubes freeze the vial or just keep the vial cool??

Thoughts???

9 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Never had to worry about transporting diabetic needs that require cooling. How do you do it?? I bought those freezer tubes to insert into it's little carrier, but will these stay cool for 3hrs pre-flight + 8 hr flight then getting to hotel ? I don't want to go down the portable freezer unit equipment.

Wouldn't normally carry extra med, but now being encouraged to do so for pen failure etc. It's the extra med that needs to be kept cool until opening.

Do these little freezer tubes freeze the vial or just keep the vial cool??

Thoughts???

Have you talk to Pharmacist? 

My insulin pens are good for 56 days out of refrigeration.  I always carry an extra with me and never worry about that exposure because on my current dose I use a pen every 15 days.  Even if I don't have to use the spare, it still has 40 days after getting home before it expires - from the room temp storage.

Now my insulin is Tresiba and it says 56 days on the box.

Talk to your pharmacist about this for your specific type of insulin.  

unless you are taking a long term supply I would not think you have to deal with this concern.

• Like 2

Good advice from the others. I usually pack a cooler and small ice pack with my insulin just to be cautious with warmer temperatures. Standing outside in the queue at the cruise terminal is a huge jump in temps between Toronto and Miami...  I'd rather be safe than sorry. I dont worry so much travelling by plane but even consideration about how long is it sitting in the car in the sun factor in. The ice pack typically isn't frozen on arrival but at least I know it's been cooler than outdoors. I also travel with a letter from my diabetic clinic as it helps with any questions. Last... you can get travel accessories like the Frio but I'm not sure they're worth it. Also, don't place an ice pack directly on your insulin. I keep mine in the packaging and put in a ziplock and then place in the small cooler with an ice pack. 

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

My insulin pens are good for 56 days out of refrigeration.  I always carry an extra with me and never worry about that exposure because on my current dose I use a pen every 15 days.  Even if I don't have to use the spare, it still has 40 days after getting home before it expires - from the room temp storage.

Now my insulin is Tresiba and it says 56 days on the box.

Talk to your pharmacist about this for your specific type of insulin.  

unless you are taking a long term supply I would not think you have to deal with this concern.

That's the way we do it, as well. Because the medication is always with us, and we are always in an AC room, terminal, car, I never worry about it. Hubby just finished off the 'extra' pen that we took on our Panama cruise in April.

Edited by Dismomx5

3 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

That's the way we do it, as well. Because the medication is always with us, and we are always in an AC room, terminal, car, I never worry about it. Hubby just finished off the 'extra' pen that we took on our Panama cruise in April.

Yes - agree.  Just never leave the insulin pen in heat like a car.  I would leave it in the cabin on a cruise or in the safe in a hotel room... just out of sun and heat.

• Like 1