Comparing 10 Day NCL Joy vs 9 Day RCL Symphony of the Seas… Need Help!

Happytime22

We live in NJ and my DW and 2 sons (21, 23) have cruised on both RCL and NCL… Oasis and Breakaway, among others.  We are looking at booking a Summer 2024 (somewhere local to NJ as we do not want to fly) with our 2 College kids and are trying to decide based on what we know, or have been told, about the two lines.

RCL Symphony of the Seas Pro’s:

·        Pier in Bayonne NJ easiest to use

·        Ship has a sports area (one son really likes tournaments)

·        Think entertainment better (keyword: THINK… need help on this)

·        Goes to their two owned islands

RCL Symphony of the Seas Con’s

·        The Boys wanted to try other than a non-oasis ship

·        Cruise more expensive

·        Boys liked NCL food better

·        Booze Package EXPENSIVE

·        Dining Package EXPENSIVE

NCL Joy’s Pros:

·        Cruise less expensive (especially with military discount)

·        Boys liked food on NCL better

·        Booze Package CHEAPER as only pay gratuities

·        Dining Package CHEAPER and only pay for passengers 3&4

·        All loved the cruise on Breakaway MANY years ago, but that may have been due to Julie (cruise Director there)

·        An extra day on cruise

NCL Joy’s Con’s:

·        TA and others think Brooklyn Pier is terrible (IMPORTANT: need other’s thoughts on this) as compared to Bayonne

·        No Sports area for tournaments (heard it is now gone)

·        Worried about entertainment shows

Both ships seem similar in age, size, rooms, etc.

We have the Joy booked for this August, so I can't give you too many details yet.  Our cruise leaves from the Manhattan Cruise terminal which is vastly different from the Brooklyn terminal.  While still a pain to get into the city, the terminal is pretty easy to get to and no worse than many other terminals.  There are also the gorgeous views leaving from Manhattan.

I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever you decide.

Just check what is on the Norwegian website for the Joy in 2024.  Does not say anything about sailing from Brooklyn.

I do know that in the past Brooklyn has be used for the smaller ships.

I would call Norwegian again or find a local travel agency that knows New York area sailings well.  You might also check the Port of New York City sailing schedule of 2024.

Thks... just called NCL, now for the third time?  The first time they said 'ONLY Manhattan', second call 'in 2024 we are leaving out of Brooklyn, on my call 1 minute ago, told 'It depends'.

How in the heck can a cruise line not know where their ship will leave from?????

Also, tried to look at the NY Cruise Pier schedule but it only shows up to the end of 2023?

The Pier 'supposedly' was a big issue with a TA but ...... any thoughts on where I can go to actually get an answer?

1 minute ago, www3traveler said:

You might also check the Port of New York City sailing schedule of 2024.

Not posted yet - https://nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/schedule-mct/

However, what IS distinctly missing from the BCT scheduled for 2023 is any ship in the NCL fleet.  That could be different for 2024 if NCL deploys additional ships to NY and they need to overflow to BCT.  It's also a question of how big of a ship BCT can handle, though if the Meraviglia docks there the Joy should be able to.

I haven't sailed from either, but I've driven to Brooklyn to take my parents to a one-way cruise.  It might have been my GPS or the direction were were approaching from, but it wasn't the most direct route into the place.  That was 4 or 5 years ago, maybe things are different now?

23 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

Thks... just called NCL, now for the third time?  The first time they said 'ONLY Manhattan', second call 'in 2024 we are leaving out of Brooklyn, on my call 1 minute ago, told 'It depends'.

How in the heck can a cruise line not know where their ship will leave from?????

Also, tried to look at the NY Cruise Pier schedule but it only shows up to the end of 2023?

The Pier 'supposedly' was a big issue with a TA but ...... any thoughts on where I can go to actually get an answer?

Very easy-- The person answering the phone could be from a call center anywhere in the world and only knows what thier particular computer screen says.  A number of years ago there was a Call Center 12 miles from my home in Northeastern Oregon-- 12 people worked in the NCL section only ONE had ever seen a cruise ship.  She saw one docked in Seattle and her parents had to tell her what it was.  I know because the girl was my niece.

I have been on both. Honestly, for fun activities like slides and rock climbing and things, I would choose symphony hands down every day of the week and twice on Sunday. The entertainment just kills NCL too. Between the skating drone shows, diving shows, hairspray, flight, you will never want to go to NCL again… the basketball court on symphony is excellent. I can’t remember if joy has one.

joy is a fine ship, but I wouldn’t say there’s a whole lot of excitement and activities, and the VR gaming pavilion was rather a let down. I did Joy for a Panama Canal and it was perfect for that because of the OBS lounge and general plentiful outdoor spaces. 

that being said, if your kids want to just go wild, get trashed, party all night and hang out with folks, NCL is probably the better choice because of the drinks pack and theme parties. The symphony did not really have a late night party scene and the nightclub was disappointing. 

Edited by marktwothousand

Joy is being refurbed and will relaunch in February ?  ( 2024)  . We have a mid March booked that I'm not 100 percent keen on yet .

As for refurb , there is only speculation as to what they are adding or subtracting or updating. ( please don't quote me on the proper terminology or dates, this is off the top of my lagging memory)

We did Symphony with our 22 , 23 and 23 year old last year and they had a great time. The Aquatheater show never took place- cancelled for rain, then rough  seas and then a performer broke an ankle. Comedy was fun . We didn't do ice show. I don't remember sports competitions being listed ( NCL has a ping pong tournament 🤣 and yes, my husband won) 

We did all have 5 free cocktails so did not have to worry about a drink package.

We had 2 sea days and 4 ports; the private islands can get pricey and maybe even  boring for their age. The ship and thus islands will be teeming with younger kiddos in August . Any ship will be, but we have to cruise  when they can cruise!

Back to Joy: we have cruised  NCL out of Manhattan and I won't do it again. It was a mess!!

Bayonne was ALSO a mess but an easier mess. 2/3  parking was shut down on arrival; the automated payment kiosks were all broken when we got back to port . We took a "meh" 5 day cruise to Bermuda on Royal last August out of Bayonne- I think it was Adventure OTS.

Having been on Bliss /Encore recently and Allure / Symphony within the past year, I would have to choose by ports and the activities offered there. We are all into snorkeling and generally book our own snorkel excursions.

Good Luck choosing!