EZ Air nightmare, continued

cr8tiv1

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Has nothing to do with them.  It has to do with the operating airline and ATC.  Does that initial flight get off on time and land on time, giving you the best opportunity to make the connection. 

Yes, I do understand that this is not EZ AIr's fault. 

EZ Air has worked with my TA to make sure I get home.  I am thankful for all the help this thread and EZ Air has done to ease my frustrations and anxieties.  Air Canada (actually Jazz) cancelled the flight.  It was just so complicated because so many were involved (United/Air Canada/Jazz regional airlines).  

Next dilemma....get to airport early and hope that I can do standby...or relax and take a post cruise/airport excursion?????  Hmmmm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Tell your flight crew that you have an extremely tight connection.  They might be able to assist in getting you off the plane faster so that you can make the connecting flight.

It is not an "extremely tight" connection.  It is normal.

• Thanks 1

@Steelers36 The 1.5 hours came up as a pop up when I checked my new itinerary.  I had to acknowledge before they would let me enter my folio,  I have Global Entry.  I will fill out the immigration form online.  I will do my best.  Not worried, since I will have a seat.  Everyone rushing to get home will be on earlier flights.  

I'm good...I think...until...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, I do understand that this is not EZ AIr's fault. 

EZ Air has worked with my TA to make sure I get home.  I am thankful for all the help this thread and EZ Air has done to ease my frustrations and anxieties.  Air Canada (actually Jazz) cancelled the flight.  It was just so complicated because so many were involved (United/Air Canada/Jazz regional airlines).  

Next dilemma....get to airport early and hope that I can do standby...or relax and take a post cruise/airport excursion?????  Hmmmm.

Okay.  NP.  The post I replied to was asking if folks has missed connections with EZ-Air.  Perhaps you were asking that concerned you had an illegal or too-short cnxn and I think that has been cleared up now as you have 60 minutes and the mininum is 55.  And you don't have to sprint through the airport to meet a minimum connection.  They build in some safety margin there.  You will even have time for a washroom break.

ETA:  I used to connect in YUL to/from BOS when I wanted to build up some extra FF segments and not fly from YYZ non-stop.  It was a breeze.  (Yes, I have NEXUS, but it was also pretty good for other flyers as well).

Edited by Steelers36
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Steelers36 The 1.5 hours came up as a pop up when I checked my new itinerary.  I had to acknowledge before they would let me enter my folio,  I have Global Entry.  I will fill out the immigration form online.  I will do my best.  Not worried, since I will have a seat.  Everyone rushing to get home will be on earlier flights.  

I'm good...I think...until...

So, that is an EZ-Air "fail" by not having the most up-to-date airport cnxn time info by airline.  I suppose that might be a hard thing to do and they just use a generic number for all flights, but Canada-USA is a special situation as well and much is done to make cross-border flying as smooth as possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

And this is after Covid.  Why would that change anything?

Airline schedule changes like never before, reduced staffing at all areas of airports, inexperienced staff, poor luggage handling … 

I’ve planned three trips since October of last year.  Each one has had multiple scheduling changes (never had a single change in any flights before Covid).  Each time Air Canada has had multiple flights throughout the day, but began to cancel flights as each travel date approached (until every flight was 100% full).  Every flight I’ve had since Covid has either been delayed at take off or sits at destination because the gate isn’t ready.  The last flight took an hour and a half for the luggage to get to the carousel.  

Now I try to allow extra time, fly in for a cruise at least a day early, avoid connections when possible, avoid code share flights and I’m even going to attempt my next trip with carry-on only.

I know that you are very well traveled and you might be comfortable with that type of connection - I’m just getting to be too old to run from one end of a terminal to the other (is it just me or are the terminals getting to be insanely large?)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Airline schedule changes like never before, reduced staffing at all areas of airports, inexperienced staff, poor luggage handling … 

I’ve planned three trips since October of last year.  Each one has had multiple scheduling changes (never had a single change in any flights before Covid).  Each time Air Canada has had multiple flights throughout the day, but began to cancel flights as each travel date approached (until every flight was 100% full).  Every flight I’ve had since Covid has either been delayed at take off or sits at destination because the gate isn’t ready.  The last flight took an hour and a half for the luggage to get to the carousel.  

Now I try to allow extra time, fly in for a cruise at least a day early, avoid connections when possible, avoid code share flights and I’m even going to attempt my next trip with carry-on only.

I know that you are very well traveled and you might be comfortable with that type of connection - I’m just getting to be too old to run from one end of a terminal to the other (is it just me or are the terminals getting to be insanely large?)

Ahh.  I see what you are getting at.  Yes, it was kind of night-marish for a while.  Have things not settled out for the better now?  I have not heard much of this in news lately and I could be not seeing it.  So I was thinking much better situation now.  But I do feel your pain.

IMO, AC has always been notorious for last-minute cancellations and combining flights when they knew much earlier they were going to do it.  

Bad stuff can happen with a somewhat more comfortable connection.  One thing that I know has helped out me in the past is when a systemic issue was delaying my flight, the next one was similarly delayed.  

I cannot guarantee anything, but the cnxn is legal (you might think an airline would alter min cnxn times if processes were jammed up) and it should give some level of comfort.  With Nexus/Global Entry, should be able to get from gate to gate in half the time allotted.  

I can only wish the best here as I have no magic wand.  Perhaps I am being over-confident. 

We made a cnxn at Heathrow last Fall when things were miserable there, so I try to remain optimistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

So, that is an EZ-Air "fail" by not having the most up-to-date airport cnxn time info by airline.  I suppose that might be a hard thing to do and they just use a generic number for all flights, but Canada-USA is a special situation as well and much is done to make cross-border flying as smooth as possible.

As @cr8tiv1 originally stated it is an EZAir recommendation that pops up when you select an itinerary with a shorter connection online.  Airlines, not EZAir, determine minimum connection times; an illegal connection won't be an option with EZAir in the first place (unless you were building a multi-leg itinerary) because an airline wouldn't offer it in its GDS in the first place.  You can still click through and book a connection shorter than EZAir's recommended connection time.

EZAir has a vested interest in people booking longer connection times so there are fewer people to reroute and rebook when they miss their connections to their departure ports.

Edited by DallasGuy75219
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1