Viking Air

MoBro713

59 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

It’s not true that you have “no control” over carrier, connections, etc. You have limited control. Viking has contracted with certain carriers and even after they have booked your flights you can change them through MVJ before they are ticketed. The caveat is you must used the contracted airlines. Those include Lufthansa, United, KLM, Air Canada, etc. Major carriers that fly frequent routes to Viking’s destinations.

Yes, but incomplete.

In addition to you needing to use contracted airlines, you also are limited to the specific flights that are part of the contract.  They do not cover all flights that an airline would operate.

Further, the contracts have inventory controls, so not all seats on a flight may be available for purchase under the contract agreement.

So, to simplify -- you have some seats, on a subset of a carrier's flights, on a restricted number of carriers.

And remember that an airline previously having a contract with Viking (or any cruiseline) is no guarantee that they currently do, or will, for your specific travel needs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flare3192 said:

does anyone know who viking uses for Tel Aviv and Amman? We are going to do the Egypt cruise with the pre to Tel Aviv and the post from Amman.

Thank you

We flew Air France to Tel Aviv and British Air from Amman 

Maybe this is an appropriate place to ask, but I have a Viking Antarctica expedition tour for December 2023. Viking Air booked me on an AA flight from my home city to EZE (Buenos Aires). The times work and seem reasonable. Though, I have zero ability to select my seat on either AA.com or through the Viking Air website. (Also, I have no ability to review different flight itineraries on Viking Air... but that's more or less a non-issue b/c Viking picked decent flights)

Does anybody know a trick to get seating on AA? Do I only select a seat once the trip is paid for by Viking? It's just weird to me that I can't figure out how to select a seat. I don't think Viking put me on a basic economy ticket.... just normal economy.

25 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Maybe this is an appropriate place to ask, but I have a Viking Antarctica expedition tour for December 2023. Viking Air booked me on an AA flight from my home city to EZE (Buenos Aires). The times work and seem reasonable. Though, I have zero ability to select my seat on either AA.com or through the Viking Air website. (Also, I have no ability to review different flight itineraries on Viking Air... but that's more or less a non-issue b/c Viking picked decent flights)

Does anybody know a trick to get seating on AA? Do I only select a seat once the trip is paid for by Viking? It's just weird to me that I can't figure out how to select a seat. I don't think Viking put me on a basic economy ticket.... just normal economy.

American’s computer system melted down this week. Flights were a mess because of all the smoke from wildfires. The president of the airlines was caught using a private charter (embarrassing). This might be the issue. Try again this week.

The only time I’ve seen no ability to assign seats is when the carrier is charging for advance seat assignments. I know British Air does this and a lot of regional carriers. Don’t know about American. We’re booked (still in unticketed) to SA through United in October and I was able book seats and see other flight options.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

American’s computer system melted down this week. Flights were a mess because of all the smoke from wildfires. The president of the airlines was caught using a private charter (embarrassing). This might be the issue. Try again this week.

The only time I’ve seen no ability to assign seats is when the carrier is charging for advance seat assignments. I know British Air does this and a lot of regional carriers. Don’t know about American. We’re booked (still in unticketed) to SA through United in October and I was able book seats and see other flight options.

I appreciate it. Yes, my trip is unticketed since I'm 150+ days out. The trip is paid in full, so it can't be a lack of commitment on my end.

I'll keep checking though.

Edited by Mike07

6 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

It was United and its CEO Scott Kirby. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/united-airlines-ceo-apologizes-insensitive-decision-fly-private-airlin-rcna92171#

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, stephenandrew said:

Sorry, so it was. I conflated a posting I saw about Viking passengers missing their cruise because of AA flights being cancelled. 

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Sorry, so it was. I conflated a posting I saw about Viking passengers missing their cruise because of AA flights being cancelled. 

Congratulations, you are human and make an error, something seldom forgiven on social media!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2023 at 11:39 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Yes, but incomplete.

In addition to you needing to use contracted airlines, you also are limited to the specific flights that are part of the contract.  They do not cover all flights that an airline would operate.

Further, the contracts have inventory controls, so not all seats on a flight may be available for purchase under the contract agreement.

So, to simplify -- you have some seats, on a subset of a carrier's flights, on a restricted number of carriers.

And remember that an airline previously having a contract with Viking (or any cruiseline) is no guarantee that they currently do, or will, for your specific travel needs.

Thanks for your experience with cruise air, and for explaining how it works.

Below are some of my details which prove/validate your facts.

Have O included air, AA nonstop LAX/PHL.  Late aft dep. Timing bad, gets in just before midnight.

Lots of earlier AA nonstops flights available (would work well with disembarkation time).  Asked TA to get us an earlier flight -- O said no, must pay custom air fee. 

Not complaining, I signed up for O air, and that's what cruise air gets you.

Will just wait in Admiral lounge, to continue that cruisin' feeling, with ample food and beverage available !

18 minutes ago, ddeprez said:

Can someone clarify what Air Plus is, what the benefits are and how much extra they charge for it? Thanks to everyone for taking the time to provide all the great info!! 

For a full explanation, check air FAQs on V website.  Cost varies, used it for December 2022 cruise, $100pp.

4 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

For a full explanation, check air FAQs on V website.  Cost varies, used it for December 2022 cruise, $100pp.

Thanks- I did, but was hoping to also get some feedback from those who have purchased and utilized it. Can you comment on your experience using it and why you felt it was worth purchasing? Thanks again!

1 hour ago, ddeprez said:

Thanks- I did, but was hoping to also get some feedback from those who have purchased and utilized it. Can you comment on your experience using it and why you felt it was worth purchasing? Thanks again!

Yes, gives ability to select your flights well before V would assign them. Not sure of # of days. 

Ability to speak with air plus desk, anytime after adding air plus, to help select routing, airlines, timing.  Best to have your preferred flights ahead of time (google flights, ita matrix). A b c .

Also can select seats when booking flights.

If in contract, may not be fare differential.  If not flying to arr. day of embark, and/or disembarkation, would incur a air deviation fee.  Was $100pp last time.

Would be worth cost, in that earlier selection, greater availability in contract for flights, seats.

If not purchasing, would have to wait til assignment, then on MVJ can make changes to flights, routing, seats, class, but no air desk help, must DIY.  But most likely,  less favorable availability.

IMO, V has a good booking engine, on MVJ.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

Very disappointed with Air Plus. Flying back from Barcelona to Boston on Delta via JFK leaving Barcelona at 12:15PM arriving in Boston at 7:38PM. Delta changed Barcelona departure to 9:15AM but Boston arrival same so have five hours to kill in JFK. Found that Delta has an earlier flight that would arrive in Boston at 5:07PM. When I asked for earlier flight I was told that it could not be booked because it was not included in Viking’s contract with Delta. So as far as I’m concerned there is no “Plus” in the Air Plus!! Save the extra cost and use it for transportation between ship and airport!

57 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Yes, gives ability to select your flights well before V would assign them. Not sure of # of days. 

Ability to speak with air plus desk, anytime after adding air plus, to help select routing, airlines, timing.  Best to have your preferred flights ahead of time (google flights, ita matrix). A b c .

Also can select seats when booking flights.

If in contract, may not be fare differential.  If not flying to arr. day of embark, and/or disembarkation, would incur a air deviation fee.  Was $100pp last time.

Would be worth cost, in that earlier selection, greater availability in contract for flights, seats.

If not purchasing, would have to wait til assignment, then on MVJ can make changes to flights, routing, seats, class, but no air desk help, must DIY.  But most likely,  less favorable availability.

IMO, V has a good booking engine, on MVJ.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I’ve usually booked my own air in the past, and this is my first time dealing with Viking Air. I appreciate your time!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, greatver said:

Very disappointed with Air Plus. Flying back from Barcelona to Boston on Delta via JFK leaving Barcelona at 12:15PM arriving in Boston at 7:38PM. Delta changed Barcelona departure to 9:15AM but Boston arrival same so have five hours to kill in JFK. Found that Delta has an earlier flight that would arrive in Boston at 5:07PM. When I asked for earlier flight I was told that it could not be booked because it was not included in Viking’s contract with Delta. So as far as I’m concerned there is no “Plus” in the Air Plus!! Save the extra cost and use it for transportation between ship and airport!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry It wasn't great, but appreciate hearing another view point. Depending on pricing, I may just cancel Viking Air and book myself!  Flying isn’t much fun these days…

18 minutes ago, ddeprez said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry It wasn't great, but appreciate hearing another view point. Depending on pricing, I may just cancel Viking Air and book myself!  Flying isn’t much fun these days…

I started my booking with Air Plus, and after my first interaction with the Viking Air Staff (who were all very nice, thoughtful, competent) decided to just book my own airfare.  Basically, at the time I called (about 6 months before sailing) they told me there were no contract air flights for my departure/arrival cities yet in their system, and might not be any for another 3 months.  I saw the flights I wanted in google flights and just decided to book myself…it may have cost me a tad less going independently, but obviously, I have the added expense of ground transfers.  I expect the Viking Air staff would do a good job for you, but they can only book what they have in their inventory flights at any given time.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, greatver said:

It is most definitely a drag having long layovers like you are scheduled for, but with the airlines being so crowded and flight delays being so frequent, maybe the extra time will be a blessing.  I’ve never been to JFK….hopefully it’s a decent place to be stuck for a bit.

48 minutes ago, ddeprez said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I’ve usually booked my own air in the past, and this is my first time dealing with Viking Air. I appreciate your time!

Wanted to add:  if deviating air date and/or dates you lose V incl transfers.

We originally decided to go with Viking air because we thought it would be easier, but we are control freaks with our trips and not knowing our connections, seats, etc. we decided to do our own. We are still too far to even book airflight ourselves, but with our departure airport necessitating at least one connection, we would like to choose our best options. We are going to fly premium cabin, so that is another reason that we want more control. We don't want to pay the premium and not have control (at least at booking). We were able to remove it from our invoice without issue. Another reason is that we were going to do the pre-extension and realized it was us basically on our own - so we may as well book what we want and decide when we want to get there.

• Like 2

This will be our first Viking cruise and first use of Viking Air.  If your flight arrives early on sailing day, do they take you directly to the ship or do they supply a place to wait until boarding time?  Our experience with Crystal was that they would take you to a hotel, where they had a conference room with coffee and food.  My guess is that Viking won't do that, but I'm interested in your experience.