Confused about back to back cruise

PandaBear62

On 6/10/2023 at 6:26 PM, PandaBear62 said:

So I tried to book a back to back cruise for October. Cruise 1 is Seattle to Vancouver, with a stop in Victoria. Cruise 2 is Vancouver to San Francisco with no ports.

On 6/10/2023 at 6:32 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

The most direct reason is that you are getting on the ship in Seattle and getting off the ship in San Francisco.  Two US cities on the same ship.  Therefore in violation of the PVSA.  It doesn't matter what happens in between.

Nope. Vancouver is in Canada

On 6/10/2023 at 6:40 PM, Coral said:

Long story short - you can not start in one US city on the West coast and get off in another US West coast city.

Same misunderstanding  .... Vancouver is in Canada

On 6/10/2023 at 6:40 PM, Coral said:

Mexico and Ensenada works because you leave and return to the same US port (closed loop cruise).

True. But closed loop also works for Canada. OP just isn't trying to do a closed loop. 

--'xxxxxx-------

I think the answer is that Mexico & Canada are not viewed as 'distant foreign ports' because we share a somewhat open border with them therefore necessitating a closed loop only. So get off 1st ship spend the night and get back on different ship for return.  I've also read where a S2S was permitted pre-covid. (Off Grand Princess onto Ruby Princess)

Edited by Ombud

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

True. But closed loop also works for Canada. OP just isn't trying to do a closed loop. 

--'xxxxxx-------

I think the answer is that Mexico & Canada are not viewed as 'distant foreign ports' because we share a somewhat open border with them therefore necessitating a closed loop only. So get off 1st ship spend the night and get back on different ship for return.  I've also read where a S2S was permitted pre-covid. (Off Grand Princess onto Ruby Princess)

Side to side is allowed.  

Near foreign port for cruises that leave/return to same city can be Canada or Mexico.  Any port in North America. (Seattle-Seattle)

Distant port needed for cruises that leave from one US city and arrive at a different US city needs to use a foreign distant port.  Usually ABC islands.  Not sure if “any” port in South America.  (Los Angeles - Fort Lauderdale)

Cruises that leave/arrive from Canada (Vancouver/Quebec) are not under PVSA regulations (hence the need for one day repositioning cruises pre/post Alaskan season.  

Glad S2S works. What I meant by "closed loop works for Canada" is that I can cruise through Canada (to & from SF with a stop there) on WHTI. Meaning it's a closed loop from SF so no passport needed. Not that Canada requires a closed loop -- I think it's just us

11 hours ago, Ombud said:

--'xxxxxx-------

We all know closed loop works for Vancouver.

Before you quote everybody - you may want to read the OP and realize what they were trying to do was not a closed loop cruise!

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

We all know closed loop works for Vancouver.

Before you quote everybody - you may want to read the OP and realize what they were trying to do was not a closed loop cruise!

Exactly my point. It was 2 separate bookings. 1 that ended in Canada and another that began in Canada on the same ship. Which is why it wasn't permitted. 

Edited by Ombud

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

Exactly my point. It was 2 separate bookings. 1 that ended in Canada and another that began in Canada. 

Most of us know Vancouver, British Columbia is in Canada......

Your post didn't make much sense.