Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya for scuba?

Sigyn

We're going to be in Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya on a cruise next spring. Which of these ports are best for scuba? I've heard great things about Cozumel, but that's the extent of my knowledge. 

I'm going to be newly certified next month with, hopefully, about 16 open water dives under my belt if our holiday vacation later this year to Bonaire goes off as planned, since I booked us for six days of diving and two dives a day, and my husband and son are already certified. I don't know if our experience or, in my case, lack thereof, makes a difference.

I would like for us to dive as much as possible on this cruise, but if there's a port or two to leave out and sightsee instead of diving, I'd like to know which ones those are.

Edited by Sigyn

8 hours ago, Sigyn said:

We're going to be in Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya on a cruise next spring. Which of these ports are best for scuba? I've heard great things about Cozumel, but that's the extent of my knowledge. 

I'm going to be newly certified next month with, hopefully, about 16 open water dives under my belt if our holiday vacation later this year to Bonaire goes off as planned, since I booked us for six days of diving and two dives a day, and my husband and son are already certified. I don't know if our experience or, in my case, lack thereof, makes a difference.

I would like for us to dive as much as possible on this cruise, but if there's a port or two to leave out and sightsee instead of diving, I'd like to know which ones those are.

@Sigyn

If one were going for a week, I think Belize would win first place.  However, the sites you can do when there for a day on a cruise, are nice, but not in that super tier.  Also, Belize is a tender port with a particularly long tend ride.  It means that unless you use a ship's excursion, you take a 25 minute tender trip in, then go to the dive shop and the dive boat takes you right back out past the ship tot he dive sites.  The ship excursions had the benefit that the dive boat would pick you up from the ship, saving a bunch of time.  For this reason, Belize was one of the few ports where I felt the best answer was to use the ship's excursion for this reason.  However, since cruising has resumed after COVID, it sounds like they really haven't restarted scuba excursions.  Others here have reported there's a shop adjacent to the tender pier that they've worked with.  I'm sure someone will be able to provide a name and review; although my recollection is that people were happy. 

Roatan has good diving.  If there's a ship's excursion it will probably be with Anthony's Key Resort, in West End.  If there is a ship's excursion, and the price is not too much higher than you can get doing it yourself, that's not a bad way to go.  I've dove with them several times on ships excursions, and have had more good than bad experiences.  If you arrange a private excursion, I'd make sure it includes port pick-up and return.  The ports on Roatan are not terribly close to the diving, so if someone says you'll need your own taxi it will likely add quite a bit of expense. 

Costa Maya is easy.  There's great diving and great people to dive with.  The diving is on the same reef as Roatan and Belize (the Meso-American reef, the second longest barrier reef in the world).  The nice thing at Mahahual (the actual town at Costa Maya) is that it's not near so well know nor as busy.  It's a bit off the beaten path for tourists not on cruises, so things are smaller and nicer.  You will want to dive with Catherine and Abel at Gypsea Divers.  From the cruise port, you'll walk through the port complex, then take a taxi (Ask them to take you to the Hotel Nacional).  It was $4.00 US per person the last time I was there.  It's about a 10 minute ride.  Then you can spend a great day diving, and when it's time to go, you won't want to.  (http://gypseadivers.com/).  Tell Catherine I sent you. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was in Belize in November 2021 off Apex. Most dive shops in Belize are located on San Pedro. The cruise ships, however, tender into Belize City. As far as I know, the only currently operating dive shop in Belize City is Sea Sports Belize. The shop is a short walk from the cruise pier, and the diving is lovely. Pretty standard: small boat/groups, 6 divers max. The owner of the shop is Linda, and she was very helpful in coordinating a full dive boat from all the inquiries that came in on that day from the two ships in port. Normally I would recommend against booking directly with the dive shop at a tender port, but the proximity of the shop to the pier means you'll be back on board in plenty of time. 1

I have taken Harris' recommendation on Gypsea Divers in Costa Maya and had a spectacular time. Great people in this small shop, and it really felt like hanging with friends for the day and diving. I wouldn't hesitate to dive with Catherine and her people next time I call on Costa Maya. 

• Thanks 1

I went to coz, Roatan,  Costa Maya and Belize in February.  Didn't dive in Coz or Belize.  Dived in Roatan with West End Divers and Pepe Dive in Costa Maya. 

Pepe Dive is located at Jamie's Blue Reef Beach resort where my family was. 

• 2 weeks later...

@pete1681, @Sigyn

I'm glad you mentioned this.  I must have been in a hurry when I first responded to this, as I apparently completely did not notice you mentioned Cozumel, which I think is the best diving of all these places.  There are a lot of operator's there (literally hundred's), and you'll get a lot of recommendations.  When I go there, I dive with Aldora Divers, but they do not work with cruise passengers, as the times in port just don't comport with how they run. 

Dive Paradise is known for running a later boat, that works well for cruise schedules.

If you want a genuine top-natch experience, contact Sherief Sanad, at Humarine.  You'll pay more, but you'll get every bit of your money's worth.  (https://humarine.com/).

Otherwise, I've dived with Salty endeavors, and was pretty happy with them as well.

Cozumel has many truly spectacular dives, and generally the visibility is amazing.  It is drift diving which is likely something you won't have done before; but it's nothing to obsess over.  Again for the full value, and to get a custom made experience, go with Sherief at Humarine. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Thanks 1

For a beginner..... Roatan is the best diving in the Caribbean.  Cozumel is fantastic diving (I have a few hundred dives there, so yeah, we love it) BUT it is drift diving and most newbies are natural at it, it is a learned skill.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2023 at 4:27 PM, ABQrobin said:

For a beginner..... Roatan is the best diving in the Caribbean.  Cozumel is fantastic diving (I have a few hundred dives there, so yeah, we love it) BUT it is drift diving and most newbies are natural at it, it is a learned skill.  

I'm a bit confused - newbies are natural at it AND it is a learned skill? 

7 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

YIKES.... I meant NOT natural at it.  Thanks for catching that.

Thanks! I just finished one cruise to Alaska so now I'm "diving" into this one and making my plans for next March, so I am re-reading everything and I was pondering that statement. 🙂 

• 4 weeks later...

I booked with Linda to dive in Belize, but it is a tender port.  So, I missed the dive as my tender ran late, and the other people diving were on an earlier boat.

I can only speak about Cozumel.  Be aware as a newbie that Cozumel can have very strong currents AND sometimes the harbor closes because of wind.  Also, the BEST reefs are on the other side of the island a good 30 minutes away from the town.  So it depends on if the boat is picking you up and taking you there, or if you must take a cab.  If 3 or boats are in port, town can be a disaster!  So, although the best reefs are on the other side of the island, the reefs closer are still pretty darn nice.  I would try to book so there are only 4 or so divers  with one divemaster.  You can Google and find lots of Cozumel dive shops.  

• 5 months later...

Even though you are a newbie, if it were me and I had the confidence to do it; I would do every port.  The diving is great!  That is the ultimate dive cruise right there. Be honest with yourself, your dive buddies, the dive master - you will be fine. As long as you are in your comfort zone, you will enjoy every dive experience and a good dive master will cater the dive locations to your comfort/experience level.

I enjoy going to smaller dive shops that will give me the customized dive experience to do each port back-to-back.  I like ProDive Roatan, in Roatan. Every time I have dove with them it was just me, my husband (my dive partner), and the dive master.  In Belize, there is only one shop (as everyone mentioned) Sea Shop Belize. Gypsea Divers in Costa Maya is one of the best dive operations that I have encountered. You enter as a customer and leave as a friend. Finally, in Cozumel, I dive with Scuba Luis. He limits his boat to 6 divers so you have a customized, personalized diving experience.

Trust me - at the end of 4 days, you will be tired, but the memories and experiences will be worth it. You CAN do it.