Valdez cruise port canceled on NCL Spirit after today (6/13/23)

I used to live in Valdez and was shocked to see it on the schedule this year.  I've cruised enough to know it doesn't offer the traditional things passengers want and need.  I jumped on a May cruise right away and I'm glad I did since it was a short lived port.  It's never been a tourist type town, and most private tour companies are adventure things like helicopter skiing, fishing, kayak, hiking, ice climbing, etc. and not short affordable day excursions that can accommodate different mobility levels. Summer is not the main season here.  I found the ship excursions to be terribly high priced. Because they are not used to cruise ships, the locals didn't put together anything like you normally see to book on the spot as you leave the ship or get into town.  There are zero transportation options like Uber or a taxi although I did see a trolley running around at one point.  Bikes were sold out.  There is no traditional gift shopping or jewelry stores, and not many restaurants.  The town itself was built post-1964 earthquake with architecture leaving much to be desired.  Personally I didn't mind having to take a bus into town and thoroughly enjoyed my trip, and my husband liked it better than Juneau.  I'm not surprised they dropped the port for next year but canceling the rest of this season seems odd.  If excursions are the issue then revamp the choices and pricing.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's disappointing to hear.  I was in Spirit B2B 5/10 and 5/17/2023 and really enjoyed the two stops in Valdez on 5/16 and 5/18.  During the first stop they wanted $15 for transport to town if you had not booked the excursion, but on the second stop two days later, transport was free.  NCL reportedly paid $12,000 that day to keep the free transport option in place for the passengers.

The first time I did the Best of Valdez tour ($126 - $50 credit).  It was a bus ride to show off some great waterfalls and other picturesque scenery. The second time, I took the free transport to town and spent hours visiting the family incredible museum ($15 or so) that was split between two buildings in different parts of town, and also did a short hike up a hill with great views of the small town. There was also a ferrry terminal with lots of great sculptures all around it.

Valdez was a very unique place and it's sad to see others won't get to visit this year.  And least they are giving you Stika as an alternative on one of the legs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JennKach said:

I used to live in Valdez and was shocked to see it on the schedule this year.  I've cruised enough to know it doesn't offer the traditional things passengers want and need.  I jumped on a May cruise right away and I'm glad I did since it was a short lived port.  It's never been a tourist type town, and most private tour companies are adventure things like helicopter skiing, fishing, kayak, hiking, ice climbing, etc. and not short affordable day excursions that can accommodate different mobility levels. Summer is not the main season here.  I found the ship excursions to be terribly high priced. Because they are not used to cruise ships, the locals didn't put together anything like you normally see to book on the spot as you leave the ship or get into town.  There are zero transportation options like Uber or a taxi although I did see a trolley running around at one point.  Bikes were sold out.  There is no traditional gift shopping or jewelry stores, and not many restaurants.  The town itself was built post-1964 earthquake with architecture leaving much to be desired.  Personally I didn't mind having to take a bus into town and thoroughly enjoyed my trip, and my husband liked it better than Juneau.  I'm not surprised they dropped the port for next year but canceling the rest of this season seems odd.  If excursions are the issue then revamp the choices and pricing.  

The NCL markup on the Stan Stephens Columbia Glacier excursion was outrageous.

• Like 1

I suspect NCL will adjust the Jade’s itineraries. Whittier has a history of receiving cruise ships as that is often the port that Princess uses for their disembarkation/embarkation on cruises from Vancouver to Alaska and back.

Everyone who lives in Whittier lives in the same building!

Here is the news release from the City of Valdez as of today:

Norwegian Cruise Line Cancels the Remainder of the Valdez Port Calls for the 2023 Season
For immediate release: 06/14/2023, 3:00 p.m.
Valdez, AK - The City of Valdez profoundly regrets to announce the cancellation of all Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) port calls to Valdez, Alaska, for the remainder of the 2023 season.
The City understands and shares the disappointment that may arise from this cancellation. We sincerely apologize to the passengers and all those who eagerly anticipated the arrival of the NCL ship in our picturesque port. The City of Valdez remains committed to supporting the tourism industry and fostering the growth of our local economy.
We will work closely with Norwegian Cruise Line to explore alternative opportunities and future collaborations. The Port of Valdez remains an enchanting destination, and we are actively engaged in efforts to develop exciting new itineraries that will continue to showcase the natural beauty and unique experiences our city has to offer.
About the Port of Valdez
The Port of Valdez is a critical maritime gateway in Valdez, Alaska. It is known for its scenic beauty and strategic importance to Alaska's economy. As a vital hub for commerce, tourism, seafood, and marine transportation, the port supports local businesses and fosters regional economic growth. The Port of Valdez ensures the highest safety, sustainability, and community engagement standards.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Jeremy Talbott,
Ports & Harbor Director
City of Valdez, Alaska
907-202-0016
jtalbott@valdezak.gov
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, singleflyer said:

I'm on the same sailing (July 5-12); just three weeks out.  I guess I better start researching Sitka.  

And guess who will not be on the ship with you now, now that I know about this cancellation.   I hadn't booked the July 5th sailing just yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seas2mountains said:

Here is the news release from the City of Valdez as of today:

Norwegian Cruise Line Cancels the Remainder of the Valdez Port Calls for the 2023 Season
For immediate release: 06/14/2023, 3:00 p.m.
Valdez, AK - The City of Valdez profoundly regrets to announce the cancellation of all Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) port calls to Valdez, Alaska, for the remainder of the 2023 season.
The City understands and shares the disappointment that may arise from this cancellation. We sincerely apologize to the passengers and all those who eagerly anticipated the arrival of the NCL ship in our picturesque port. The City of Valdez remains committed to supporting the tourism industry and fostering the growth of our local economy.
We will work closely with Norwegian Cruise Line to explore alternative opportunities and future collaborations. The Port of Valdez remains an enchanting destination, and we are actively engaged in efforts to develop exciting new itineraries that will continue to showcase the natural beauty and unique experiences our city has to offer.
About the Port of Valdez
The Port of Valdez is a critical maritime gateway in Valdez, Alaska. It is known for its scenic beauty and strategic importance to Alaska's economy. As a vital hub for commerce, tourism, seafood, and marine transportation, the port supports local businesses and fosters regional economic growth. The Port of Valdez ensures the highest safety, sustainability, and community engagement standards.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Jeremy Talbott,
Ports & Harbor Director
City of Valdez, Alaska
907-202-0016
jtalbott@valdezak.gov

. . . meanwhile, NCL maintains radio silence.

Yes, @quack2, the radio silence continues.  Even an email from NCL to say there is a change and more information will be coming would be appreciated.

We are now 6 days away from sailing.  What will come first, 4-8 safety video emails or the notification of the port changes? My bet is on at least 1-2 safety video emails before seeing the email notification from NCL about the port changes.

Our Icy Straight Point excursions appear on the new date but we can't see the new itinerary or book anything for Sitka yet. 

Who thinks we won't get notified until embarking on Wednesday? That is a possibility, too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, quack2 said:

. . . meanwhile, NCL maintains radio silence.

So sad. In my opinion, the passengers impacted should have been the first to know, even if it is a notification that said more info to follow.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

Yes, @quack2, the radio silence continues.  Even an email from NCL to say there is a change and more information will be coming would be appreciated.

We are now 6 days away from sailing.  What will come first, 4-8 safety video emails or the notification of the port changes? My bet is on at least 1-2 safety video emails before seeing the email notification from NCL about the port changes.

Our Icy Straight Point excursions appear on the new date but we can't see the new itinerary or book anything for Sitka yet. 

Who thinks we won't get notified until embarking on Wednesday? That is a possibility, too.

What sailing are you on? I'll see if I can find the letter so you have a copy. 

Yes, see this post. 

Northbound - swap dates for Hubbard Glacier and Icy Straight Point.  Add Sitka. 

Southbound - go to Hubbard Glacier instead of Valdez and go to Icy Straight Point on day listed for Hubbard Glacier. 

On some cruises, it’s two hours more in Skagway on Sunday stops. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

Wednesday, June 21st and 28th  B2B. 

Thank you! 

First....JEALOUS!!!! But really, I hope you have a fantastic time despite the changes. Here's the letter for cruise # 1:

image.thumb.png.10ae3367450d5945ae7c72053e0bc77a.png

And number 2:

image.thumb.png.f43391ebdad70c27d9f64c916ccb853f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I just called the NCL Shore Excursions desk at the number provided in the notice I received an hour ago.  I was informed that the shore excursions wouldn't be available until we are on the ship.  Wonderful.

BTW, the itinerary changes are not reflected online and excursions can't be booked there either.  We've known about these itinerary changes since Tuesday.  I assumed NCL was spending the last two days arranging excursions in Sitka and Icy Strait so that when they finally got around to informing passengers of the changes, they would be ready to book excursions.  But, of course, that's not the case. 

Does NCL have any idea what they're doing?

I am going to keep trying to book excursions by phone, chat or online just in case the information I got from the phone rep turns out to be incorrect.

My cruise leaves next Wednesday, the 21st.

Edited by quack2

18 minutes ago, quack2 said:

Does NCL have any idea what they're doing?

Based on their repeated behavior, they know exactly what they are doing. I guess they think selling cruises to ports they have no intention of visiting is no problem. 

2 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

You can also book private shore excursions in both Sitka and ISP.

I previously booked a private excursion in ISP (Glacier Wind whale watching).  I emailed them Tuesday night to see if they could accommodate me on the 26th rather than the 23rd.  They were able to do so, so I'm set for the new date in ISP.  BTW,  Glacier Wind is an excellent company and provides great customer service, unlike a certain cruise line I'm dealing with.

For Sitka, the excursion I want is only provided by an NCL-contracted company, Allen Marine.   They don't take direct bookings from passengers.

When NCL (and other cruise lines) talk about how you should only book excursions with the cruise lines, I'm going to remember this failure of NCL to serve its customers.

• Like 1